Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science in UCD 385

Options
  • 17-08-2009 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

Just a question about the cao and science in the ucd, Im clutching at straws but anyway here goes:

Science in the UCD was 385 I got 300. It was my first preference and obviously I didnt get it but there is 600 places in ucd for science, if by any chance they were not filled would I be offered a place. I do meet the minimum requirements. What are the chances of them not being filled? If anyone had any idea

Just hoping ..... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

quiggle wrote: »
    What are the chances of them not being filled?

As a third year UCD science student I can tell you it is 324 places for DN004. And the chances of them not being filled is very very slim. Sorry dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 quiggle

Thanks at least I know now

But don't be discouraged. Talk to your guideness teacher person about doing a FETAC which will lend it's way into doing science in uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I went to UCD, but I didn't do science.
    One problem that the lecturers had over and over again was that the low points meant that students would get into the courses, but would be unable to actually do them.
    If you could only manage 300 points then you may want to honestly rethink a course like science, which is very detailed and difficult.

From another thred
    FETAC courses are offered in Further Education/PLC colleges which are outside of the CAO so you can apply to them now - there is no central applications systems application so you have to apply to each individual college.

Where are you based ? If Dublin then log on to www.cdvec.ie for a full list of FE/PLC colleges.

Best thing to do is find the degree you want to do on the CAO web site via the FETAC Information on the lefthand column - click on the Entry Requirements and find the degree course and the code for the FETAC course you need to do in order to progress. Then go onto FETAC and find out the name of the award and then find your nearest FE/PLC provider that offers that course.

Find one that offers the FETAC Award in Lab Techniques and check that they are doing the modules you need as listed in my first reply.

For UCD you need the following (from cao website) - to find out what the codes mean for CASLT go to http://www.fetac.ie/guide/CASLT.HTM
    or to http://www.fetac.ie/guide/level5_index_certs.htm for the other codes. Check with UCD how many FETAC places they have.

DN008Science8CASLT
    CELTX
    CITXX
    5 modules at Distinction Grade. The qualification must include:
    • C20139 Mathematics or OB3 LCE Maths

and 3 of the following 9 modules:
    • C20006
    • C20011
    • C20012
    • C20013
    • C20016
    • C20018
    • C20033
    • C20040
    • C20048
    GP8/MAN/ONE/- DN010Agricultural Science8CASLT
    5 modules at Distinction Grade. The qualification must include:
    • C20139
    And any two from:
    • C20006
    • C20011
    • C20048

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

One problem that the lecturers had over and over again was that the low points meant that students would get into the courses, but would be unable to actually do them.
    If you could only manage 300 points then you may want to honestly rethink a course like science, which is very detailed and difficult.

To be fair I know a woman who got A1s in maths, physics and applied maths yet still only came out with about 350 points. Points aren't the only measure of ability

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

To be fair I know a woman who got A1s in maths, physics and applied maths yet still only came out with about 350 points. Points aren't the only measure of ability

That is an incredibly exceptional case, to be completely fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

Another thing is that people get 300 because they lie around for 2 years!!!!and then work when they get to college so getting 300 by no means says that you will be unable to cope!Sure einstein failed his entrance exam into some German IT didn't really hurt him did it now?:p:cool::rolleyes:

adamtj09 wrote: »
    Sure einstein failed his entrance exam into some German IT didn't really hurt him did it now?:p:cool::rolleyes:

And he didn't talk until he was four...

And while the course is hard, if you work at it you'll do just fine. The method by which they teach first years is as if you never sat a day in science class. I went from HD2 in maths, to getting A's and A+'s in maths, and I picked up chemistry which soon became my best stubject. Like I said, it is a lot of work and a lot of hours, but if you go the your lectures, do the reports you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There are plenty of students who get around 300 points and go on to great success in sciences. It doesn't help those that aren't particularly good at languages when English and Irish are compulsory and most of the universities have a foreign language requirement, so that involves taking French, German etc. 300 could be honours in 4 sciences and 3 ordinary level Ds in languages. It's a common enough scenario, especially for boys

However it;s unlikely the points will drop by 85 so the OP will have to consider repeating, doing a PLC course or taking another offer from the CAO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

That is 'Sandra Bullocks', just because she got 300 points doesn't mean she doesn't have a love for Science, this is why I hate the leaving cert, why should I have to study Geography, Biology, Music & Irish If I want to do computers in college? It makes no sense to me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

Walsh wrote: »
    That is 'Sandra Bullocks', just because she got 300 points doesn't mean she doesn't have a love for Science, this is why I hate the leaving cert, why should I have to study Geography, Biology, Music & Irish If I want to do computers in college? It makes no sense to me anyway!
    Exactly, I didn't get on to the course either, even though I got an A in chemistry and a B in biology. It was English and Irish that dragged me points wise.

Besides high points doesn't equal doing well on a course, I've known people with over five hundred points who have failed their first year. And then you have people who have gotten in through PLC courses who end up doing great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

80 points was some jump in fairness, especially for a course of that size. Thank god i had enough for it. I feel sorry for people over 350 who thought they had it.

80 points was some jump in fairness, especially for a course of that size. Thank god i had enough for it. I feel sorry for people over 350 who thought they had it.
    I couldn't believe it went up that much. I was sure I had it in the bag, was looking for accommodation and deciding what subjects I was going to take and then...the offers came out.
    Don't know what I'm going to do now; I hate my second choice, don't know what possessed me to put it down!

Found that a very unhelpful reply, I didnt ask your opinion as to whether I was capable of doing the course or not...only wanted to see if there was any hope of me getting the course.

My LC results were a big shock as I am almost certain I did better in at least one subject and I am appealing, Then the fact that the course jumped up so much was just unbelievable. :(

Thanks for all the other helpfuly replies though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Found that a very unhelpful reply, I didnt ask your opinion as to whether I was capable of doing the course or not...only wanted to see if there was any hope of me getting the course.

My LC results were a big shock as I am almost certain I did better in at least one subject and I am appealing, Then the fact that the course jumped up so much was just unbelievable. :(

Thanks for all the other helpfuly replies though

This is a message board, this thread is not just your thread.

He has a point, it mightnt actually apply to you, but it's a point that I agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

I'm being offered science in UCD, but i think im going to reject it, as guilty as it will make me feel, sorry :( (so there will be at least 1 extra space)

Theres always other ways in though

Dubs wrote: »
    I'm being offered science in UCD, but i think im going to reject it, as guilty as it will make me feel, sorry :( (so there will be at least 1 extra space)

Theres always other ways in though

Can I just ask why your rejecting it? Im just curious, no need to answer if you dont want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Can I just ask why your rejecting it? Im just curious, no need to answer if you dont want to.

A few reasons to be honest. Mainly because i want to do medicine and id rather risk 1 year repeating than 3 or 4 years extra of college which is too long for my likings, and would mean a lot more money, especially with fees coming. Theres a chance I'll be in the same position again this time next year, but I'd rather risk it... I think

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

I just think that CAO clearly knew that the surge in UCD science applications skyrocketed and should have notified the public on it so people could alter their applications. I know it's not procedure or in their obligations but surely they knew all the hearts that would be broken yesterday! I just feel **** for all those people who missed out :(

• Advertisement

It would have been nice to have some warning. I think everyone knew it was going to go up, but not that much.
    Ah the CAO system is a cruel mistress indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I just think that CAO clearly knew that the surge in UCD science applications skyrocketed and should have notified the public on it so people could alter their applications. I know it's not procedure or in their obligations but surely they knew all the hearts that would be broken yesterday! I just feel **** for all those people who missed out :(

Unfortunately the CAO is just a computer system at the end of the day..so it doesnt really care about hearts being broken..also the people running the systems wouldnt be happy when the system fails due to loads of people changing last minute..it's unfortunate but thats how it's run and the risk was always there.

An 80 point jump is really crazy though in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Not always true.
    Was the lc a bad set of exams? do you normally perform better, eg mocks etc..

What were your grades in your science subjects and maths?

I got low enough points, i got less then 400... a good chunk less.

Im going into 4th year Chemical Engineering. A course which is regarded to be one of the hardest ones around... never failed a year, my lc didnt actually reflect my intelligence.

Some people do bad in the leaving, some people do better then they deserve(lucky on day etc)

Some people although they got the points are totaly unsuitable to the course (500 points in lc, most came from languages, music etc..) they drop out etc...

Once you are willing to work hard i think you'd be fine. But you'd have to be certain you really want it to ensure you have the will to work hard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I just think that CAO clearly knew that the surge in UCD science applications skyrocketed and should have notified the public on it so people could alter their applications. I know it's not procedure or in their obligations but surely they knew all the hearts that would be broken yesterday!
    Em ... ?

And then what would have happened?

Everyone decide to put down science in some other college, so that it rockets sky-high, and UCD stays as it was or goes down?

CAO does release some stats about fluctuations in applications for courses after the January deadline, but that's really all they can (or should) do. It is not their role to send weekly scare stories to the redtops and directly influence candidates' choices.

And people can enter 10 choices on the CAO level 8 list as far as I recall ... UCD science fills one of these slots, leaving nine other preferences to choose.

Unfortunately, there will always be disappointment and heartbreak over exam results and college admissions, whatever system is used. It's not pleasant, and I've seen a few people around here over the last few days for whom I had a fair bit of sympathy, but expecting the CAO to solve all your problems in advance and prevent disappointment is neither realistic nor feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

still though, stupid greedy government people messing up the country and messing up people's futures let alone CAO but yes you're right! Just had to have a petty stab in cos I was furious yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I couldn't believe it went up that much. I was sure I had it in the bag, was looking for accommodation and deciding what subjects I was going to take and then...the offers came out.
    Don't know what I'm going to do now; I hate my second choice, don't know what possessed me to put it down!

HA Ha this made me laugh I'm feel the exact same as you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

TBH, 300 points for a level 8 science degree in a uni was seriously low to start with...(lowest in the country?)

last year...DCU was 360, TCD was 415, granted, 85 points is a dramatic increase but if anything I'd say it's closer now to what it should have been anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Speaking as a graduate of that very course, I would tend to agree with The_Minister.

From my own experience/empirical evidence, there were a lot of people who got in with lower scores (I think it was 325 in 2004) who struggled even in first year, when things are very general and students are mollycoddled.

There were a few exceptions as there are in any course but this was my general experience.

OP maybe there's a particular reason why you wanted UCD over other science courses but to be honest, where you go is much of a muchness in terms of content or reputation when you're only coming out with a science degree. It only becomes of importance if you're going on to further research. So keep an open mind, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

TBH, 300 points for a level 8 science degree in a uni was seriously low to start with...(lowest in the country?)

last year...DCU was 360, TCD was 415, granted, 85 points is a dramatic increase but if anything I'd say it's closer now to what it should have been anyway.

Galway's lower. Was 280 in 2008, 335/345 this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I understand what you're saying, but it's all about level of applications, and applications for science have been fairly low over the last decade.

This is the first year in a while, for example, that points for Science have come close to the points for Arts fairly much across the board, although there are far more Arts than Science places available.

Advertisement