Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for us noobs who have just gotten accepted ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 UCCmed09

go out every night freshers week to get to know your class!

dont bother going to lectures if you're not listening or falling asleep anyway!but do at the start...again to get to know your class;)

use the mardyke since its free!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Deucemc

Buy a stapler! and date any lec notes you go to........makes it a hell of a lot easier during the month off knowin what lectures your missing!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Ok, first of all welcome to all the newbies. Above all, enjoy your time in college. You've got four whole years before you have to find a job. By then, the celtic tiger will have got his arse back in gear.

Formalities over here are a few nuggets of advice that will make it much easier for you and the current inhabitants of the campus:

1. I cant stress this enough people: there is a RIGHT and a WRONG way to enter and leave the Boole Basement. Facing the doors beside the library, you go DOWN the stairs on your RIGHT and UP the stairs on the LEFT. Get this right and stick to it. There's nothing worse than a slack-jawed first year wandering up or down the wrong stairs...its dangerous. You don't want four hundred students coming at you and your oblivious.

2. Go to as many lectures as you possibly can. That doesn't mean you can't have the occasional duvet day (just make sure you get the notes asap). If you slip behind, it just makes it a pain in the ass to catch up and it'll be your own fault.

3. Understand that college is NOT the same as school. You will not learn everything from your lecturer (some of them are excellent, some not so much..they all have different styles, so get used to it. Make the most of them, talk to them out of the classroom environment if you're having trouble with the work). Go to the library, do a bit of reading, get the concept straight in your head. Its impossible to take everything in during a 50 minute lecture.

4. Go to all your lab classes, tutorials, etc. Hand in all your assignments - these are easy marks and when you get them, it takes the mad pressure off for the exams in the summer.

5. Remember, 5 or 6 years ago, we all had to write our own notes...by hand.. at EVERY lecture. Don't take Blackboard (the online place you'll get some of your lecture notes) for granted. Don't rely on the blackboard notes and don't think everyone will provide such nice clear notes, they don't have to and attendance goes down if the notes go online!!

Reading over this, the post sounds fairly grumpy. Its not meant to be. You'll soon be into the swing of things. Make a decent effort and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

1. I cant stress this enough people: there is a RIGHT and a WRONG way to enter and leave the Boole Basement. Facing the doors beside the library, you go DOWN the stairs on your RIGHT and UP the stairs on the LEFT. Get this right and stick to it. There's nothing worse than a slack-jawed first year wandering up or down the wrong stairs...its dangerous. You don't want four hundred students coming at you and your oblivious.

I second this. It's a simple system people stick with it! It's particularly annoying on a rainy day - when one has the worry of slipping and falling on their ass, shouldn't have to worry about being hit head on!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭lauraisginger

I'm living in Castlewhite too!I'm here right now, fair empty at the moment though!

I need to join a bank too, who's the best? Yknow with offers and charges and most importantly freebies?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 notnormal

hey, I'll be in Castlewhite myself tomorrow :)

I joined AIB, free Travelcard and €50 when you use the account.

HELP: I'll only be 17 for my whole first year of college (18 in May). What's the story with going out? Am I gonna be left alone in my apt while the 18 yr olds go out and party?

notnormal wrote: »
    hey, I'll be in Castlewhite myself tomorrow :)

I joined AIB, free Travelcard and €50 when you use the account.

HELP: I'll only be 17 for my whole first year of college (18 in May). What's the story with going out? Am I gonna be left alone in my apt while the 18 yr olds go out and party?

Thats a great help I think I'll go for AIB so!

Omg I'm actually in the exact same situation! I'm not 18 til April! I really don't want to have to miss out on all the fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Guys, be very cautious opening bank accounts. They give you cheap freebies...then bam!..you owe the bank 45 quid. Be careful, ask how much it will cost if you don't use the bank account etc before you contemplate opening an account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

Study and prepare for your exams, don't use the "I can repeat anyway if I fail" scapegoat. The most stress you'll feel all year is the lead-up to any Autumn repeats.
    Treat continuous assessment very seriously, don't say "tch it's only worth 8%" or whatever amount, it really does add up in the end, and can come back to bite you.
    While I'm guilty of spending an awful lot of time in both of the bars in UCC (yes, both.. did'nt have that in school eh? :P), I learnt pretty early on not to have a pint when I had another lecture that day. There's nothing more annoying than spending an hour long lecture trying to stay awake, and then coming out to realise that you had learnt nothing, and wasted your time.
    Don't go out to clubs multple times a week, you won't be seeing any 9am lectures if you do.

Ok, those are the "don'ts", here are the "do's" -
    Ignore any other restaurants, eat all your food in the Campus Kitchen. €2.50 for a sandwich or roll with as many fillings as you want - amazing! :)
    Do utilise all the facilities made available to you; the gym, the library, the computers. Theyr'e great, and you'll feel like you're getting a lot out of the year if you use them.
    I can't think of anything else.. have fun! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

notnormal wrote: »
    Omg I'm actually in the exact same situation! I'm not 18 til April! I really don't want to have to miss out on all the fun!

same here theres gonna be plenty of 17yr olds up there though...of course im 18 in novmber so i dont have as long a wait:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

same here theres gonna be plenty of 17yr olds up there though...of course im 18 in novmber so i dont have as long a wait:pac::pac:

18 in november...ouch, thats gonna be a pretty bad freshers week for you:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Mario007 wrote: »
    18 in november...ouch, thats gonna be a pretty bad freshers week for you:p:D

I couldn't disagree more.... it's all about the house party these days kids, recession on and all that malarky, much better than queing up to get into some sweaty hole of a nightclub for an hour.

Freshers week nightclubs are a joke to be fair.

Moral of the story....
    go get drunk in a bush...
    or go get drunk and find some bush...
    we won't argue over symantics.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

I couldn't disagree more.... it's all about the house party these days kids, recession on and all that malarky, much better than queing up to get into some sweaty hole of a nightclub for an hour.

Freshers week nightclubs are a joke to be fair.

Moral of the story....
    go get drunk in a bush...
    or go get drunk and find some bush...
    we won't argue over symantics.

i actually agree with you there, i was just trying to tease people for a while:D

the house parties are actually much better than going to pubs and bars to be honest, its cheaper, you know who's there and its much more fun. so yes i completely agree, get someone to buy your a pack of beer and bring it home!:D

Mario007 wrote: »
    i actually agree with you there, i was just trying to tease people for a while:D

the house parties are actually much better than going to pubs and bars to be honest, its cheaper, you know who's there and its much more fun. so yes i completely agree, get someone to buy your a pack of beer and bring it home!:D

i never really intended on going to nightclubs anyway!hate the music!good craic when drunk though..hm...

yes..and who has a house in cork now mario??;);)...pubs rock too though..with the right people...

damn u and teasing the young..grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

There's some increase in drink-mad 17 year olds into UCC! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

I am in Castlewhite ! I feel we should have a boardsies meet-up ! I am 18, so I can buy the drink....house party ! :)

yes i too think its a win-win situation!!

yes i too think its a win-win situation!!

Let the games begin. :cool:

:D:D:D:Dhell yeah!!its mainly the craic associated with it though ha
    Jeebus wrote: »
    I am in Castlewhite ! I feel we should have a boardsies meet-up ! I am 18, so I can buy the drink....house party ! :)

A UCC boardsies meet up!!epic!!..im there:D:D:cool:

Let the games begin. :cool:

Can't wait.... are we gonna work off some sort of points system?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

I am in Castlewhite ! I feel we should have a boardsies meet-up ! I am 18, so I can buy the drink (for my fellow people-who-are-old-enough-to-drink-and-will-give-me-the-money, of course *winks at moderators and members).

Actually...we definitely should ! Why wouldn't we ?

yes we shall have the drinking olympics which will consist of drinking...and eh...hm...many drinking games....and poker

we can develop the scoring system on the fly

yes we shall have the drinking olympics which will consist of drinking...and eh...hm...many drinking games....and poker

we appear to having 2 different conversations :cool:

but i like both :)

we appear to having 2 different conversations :cool:

but i like both :)

thats how cool we are:eek::cool::cool:we can have 2 good conversations boo ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭deisedude

This is my favourite drinking game:D

UCC boardsies meet up!!epic!!..im there:D:D:cool:

Ay-pic! ;)

Something similar to the Premiership perhaps? :P

I am in Castlewhite ! I feel we should have a boardsies meet-up ! I am 18, so I can buy the drink (for my fellow people-who-are-old-enough-to-drink-and-will-give-me-the-money, of course *winks at moderators and members).

Actually...we definitely should ! Why wouldn't we ?

Never mind a meet up for drink, you actually drunk now Jeebus? :D

Count me in! :D

Something similar to the Premiership perhaps? :P

hm..yes scheduled drinking showdowns!!this could be unreal
    deisedude wrote: »
    This is my favourite drinking game:D

haha i watched that episode last night..EPIC show...hey your clock dosent have a flush:p

• Advertisement

hm..yes scheduled drinking showdowns!!this could be unreal

You're really excited!

Advertisement