Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭sergiotheonly

Footage in 3D was amazing - real sense of being there.
    As was the CG, the emotions in the faces were almost real.

Was excited before, am even more so now.

Trust Cameron to finally GET 3d!

Anyone going tonight, it will blow you away.

And, we got a scene which Comicon didnt get!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

Going to see this tonight in Cineworld. Won tickets through movies.ie

Very excited about this I must say! Trailer looks amazing, doesn't quite like animated but it doesn't look completely real. It will be interesting to see how it looks in 3D. Roll on 6.40!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

keefg wrote: »
    Meh. Looks like a cartoon.

Poo.
    So thats automatically a bad thing? Broaden your horizons people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Kiith wrote: »

Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

do you need the crappy 3d glasses for these 3d films?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

Looks great. Nothing will ever impress like Jurassic Park's CGI but some of the scenes in this look incredible.

For a film made by the man behind sci-fi classics The Abyss, Aliens and Terminator I don't know why they're highlighting the fact that he brought us Titanic in the trailer. Obviously the studio trying to widen the audience.

Really high hopes for this, looks like there'll be a lot of dramatic elements too it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Yousa people gonna die?

The CGI doesnt look great to me. I'm reading various things around the web where people are saying "I can't tell where the real stuff ends and the CGI begins." Really? Because watching it on my wee Youtube screen makes it pretty obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Kiith wrote: »

So, because I don't like the look of this particular trailer you assume that I have a narrow interest in films?

You have no idea what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Where in Ireland can I catch this in the 3D it's meant for when it's released?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Elessar wrote: »
    Where in Ireland can I catch this in the 3D it's meant for when it's released?

See this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Cheers. Although I may convince my friends to fly to London with me to see it in IMAX glory.

Elessar wrote: »
    Cheers. Although I may convince my friends to fly to London with me to see it in IMAX glory.

I'm hoping to do the same, it's released on my Birthday and I'm hoping to head over for the weekend and see it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not impressed with the trailer effects wise at all tho as others have said maybe the 3D gig will make the aliens look better. The "I cant believe its CGI" folks should really visit Specsavers :)

District 9 Aliens look so much more realistic imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Scruff wrote: »

No its beamed directly into your brain, like in Batman Forever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Just back from the 15 min preview. I can see why they choose to put these on - everything looks much MUCH better in it's big 3D glory. No cheap tricks or shock value "it's coming right for you!!!" carry on but added depth and perspective in every shot. Very immersive.

And whatever I thought about the trailer, the CGI looks phenominal when you see it right.

I can't tell where the real stuff ends and the CGI begins ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

was at the 15 minute preview there. thought it looked great, can't wait for the full thing in december. you could tell it wasn't real, obviously, but it did look very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Scruff wrote: »

Apparently Cameron has a set of custom made 3D contact lenses! How cool would that be?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Apparently Cameron has a set of custom made 3D contact lenses! How cool would that be?!
    Don't we all have those built in?

For those who saw the preview, how did it look in the cinema? I was thinking of maybe planning a trip to an iMax somewhere (mainly as an excuse for a piss up) just to get the whole effect.

Looked great in the cinema. Would obviously look better in IMAX.

Is there an IMAX screen in Belfast still? Pity we got rid of ours in Dublin before they started showing any actual real films on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

Back from the preview and have to say that it was amazing!

The 3D was used to great effect, it gave great depth to the picture. It wasn't used in way to shock you with bulllets or whatever coming towards you from the screen. It made the film much more immersive, I had to remind myself that it was a film I was watching!

The CGI was excellent, the way the human and CGI characters interact is seamless and you can almost forget it's digitised.

I'm really looking forward to this, tonight was a great taster but I could have done with more. Roll on December!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

The 2d trailer on Apple looks OK. Hopefully the full 3D experience will make it a home run. I've already seen one film in 3D that would probably otherwise been mediocre so I'm wondering how much of the WOW factor is the film's content/story or the 3D tech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so is avatar all animation, not what i thought it'd be when i first heard about it, very cartooney, looks like pochahontas story with bright blue aliens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I was underwhelmed by the 2D trailer from Apple. I thought it looked like an amazing quality Final Fantasy cut scene: Pretty but still obviously animated and still no Golumn. However, seeing it on the screen with the glasses totally changed my opinion. I thought the footage looked fantastic. Having said that though, we still have to see what the story's like.

My big concern is that the footage I saw really only came into it's own when viewed in 3d. Trailer still looks a little underwhelming in 2d. What's going to happen once the film leaves the cinema and is on DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

ROLL ON DECEMBER!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

I was at the 15 minute preview. The 3D looked great and it's definitely gonna be worth going to in December, but only for the visuals.

The story didn't seem very special. It could be any other alien/monster/explosion movie by a generic director. Definitely nothing to get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

I was at the 15 minute preview. The 3D looked great and it's definitely gonna be worth going to in December, but only for the visuals.

The story didn't seem very special. It could be any other alien/monster/explosion movie by a generic director. Definitely nothing to get excited about.

I agree, the story seemed a little cliché. It kinda reminded me of Fern Gully...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Loved the preview, some of the scenes were fantastic looking, and the creatures were just spectacular.

Just as a note what's the best position for viewing 3D movies, I was down nearer the front and to the right, maybe it just the format or the cheapo glasses, but some of the closer 3D layers edges are blurry and discoloured...?

You were able to determine all that from 15 chopping and changing minutes taken from the first half of a purportedly near 3 hour long film? Impressive.

All I really saw was 'people go to alien planet', 'love interest', 'some sort of battle for some reason', 'lots of cool alien creatures and stuff'. Which is basically every film about going to an alien planet ever made.

I'd hardly me making judgements on the story based on that.

(although to be fair, and as others have said, signs do point towards some sort re-working of the classic Pocahontas story).

BopNiblets wrote: »
    some of the closer 3D layers edges are blurry and discoloured...?
    I noticed that a bit and was wondering the same thing at first (bad glasses, or bad projection or something) but then I sort of figured it's probably because I was "looking at the 3D effects" rather than watching the film. Look at what you're supposed to be looking at (and it was hard not to, the way it sucked you in) and that stuff in the foreground looks like it's in the foreground -- i.e. the camera isn't focused on that so it's, well, out of focus. Just like in the 'real world'.

Maybe I'm wrong? This was my first time seeing any sort of 3D movie... but I found when I stopped thinking about it and purposefully looking at those objects in the foreground, it worked great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Dances with aliens!

Advertisement