Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[For future Trinity students] What are you doing for accommodation?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

I'm a second yr but I just wanna brag about my city centre apartment with a roof garden for 400pm nah nah nah!!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Heggy wrote: »
    What's cycling in Dublin like? Being from a town away far away in Donegal, there's a very strong impression around here (by which I mean my parents) that it's extremely dangerous.
    It's an odd thing to say since things like cycle lanes are absolutely non-existent here.

Ah it's not too bad. If you're in halls you'll be most likely going via Rathmines which has cycle paths and it's pretty much just straight down Rathmines road, Aungier St., George's St. and right at Dame St. which all have cycle ways so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Piste wrote: »
    Ah it's not too bad. If you're in halls you'll be most likely going via Rathmines which has cycle paths and it's pretty much just straight down Rathmines road, Aungier St., George's St. and right at Dame St. which all have cycle ways so you should be fine.

Cycle lanes all the way means I should be set. Just as long as the bike doesn't get stolen a few times.

Anybody know if many get rejected from the Halls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 NoHands

(This isn't an ad or anything like that!)

So, for anyone who'll be going to Trinity, what are you doing for accommodation?

I was sure I'd book Trinity Halls, but to be honest, it's extortionately expensive: it works out at over €5400 for the year. I've been flicking around a few private houses/apartments on Daft, and ones in the City Centre (Dublin 1 or 2) come in at ~€1500/€2000 less for the year, which needn't I say, is a huge amount cheaper. They're also only 5 min from the college itself.

So, what are you planning on doing? Spending €5400+ on accommodation just for the social factor, or doing spending 40% less and being closer to college, but risk losing out on the social side associated with Trinity Halls.

(mods, you can move this to the TCD forum if you like, but I'd prefer to hear opinions of those who have just finished the LC).

Not saying you are wrong, but where did you get these figures (just curious)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

I'll just commute. Living in Kildare and about 40 mins from Trinity i doubt there's much trouble. I'll just get a months rail ticket and that should be me sorted.:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

NoHands wrote: »
    Not saying you are wrong, but where did you get these figures (just curious)?

Here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 malteasermia

i'm applying for trinity halls, as i just accepted my offer this morning. (general science) i'm worried i wont get it tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Futurism wrote: »
    I'm staying at home. I'd love to move out but I can't afford it. I'll be cycling from Tallaght, so I'm not too far.

Ditto!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Taking an hour long bus from home into the city, and then walking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

I will be lazily bussing it the whole 20 minutes in. Living at home all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I got offered my course in Trinity and have subsequently accepted it but I still can't log in here:

https://accommodation.tcd.ie/StudentBookings/validationfailed.aspx

Anyone know what's up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Lucky Dubliners! Getting to stay at home. I'll be getting the bus/train from Waterford :P

But I'm just over the fricking moon I got into TCD. My course had the dreaded * when I checked points.

I'm looking at Trinity Hall atm but I'll have to pay around €5394 for accomodation and registration fee.

I guess I could find a cheaper place on Daft.ie but for the 1st year, I'd enjoy Trinity hall for the Social aspect I think...however beggars can't be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Ugh, looking for accommodation is so disheartening. One of my friends is going to be in UCD and the other two of us will be in Trinity. We're trying to find something reasonably priced between the two.. but.. well. SIGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Unfortunately didn't get Trinity in the end..
    But a few of my friends did, so I'll be visiting halls a LOT :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

is anyone els not able to apply to halls?!
    im scared.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 golly-pop

rois! wrote: »
    is anyone els not able to apply to halls?!
    im scared.....
    Its OK Rois, the site is being upgraded at the moment to get data entered from candidates accepting CAO offers. It should be recognising you as a TCD candidate and allowing you to create an account by early afternoon, - so I was told by the TCD accommodation office this morning. However I see somewhere else on a TCD thread that it could take a bit longer than that. But don't worry, - no one else can get through either, until its sorted. Anyway its not "first come first served", - its random selection (I think) to get accepted for a place. And you wont know if you have a place for at least a week after making your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

^

I can vouch for that, just been speaking to them too. Late afternoon they said but knowing our luck it won't be for longer!

Anyone have an idea on waiting times to know if you've been accepted?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 golly-pop

At least a week I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

Just got off the phone with them. There was a glitch where every students course was registering as general nursing!

I'd say they're trying to fix it.

Watch this space!

Just got off the phone with them. There was a glitch where every students course was registering as general nursing!

I'd say they're trying to fix it.

Watch this space!

I was wondering about that! I emailed them back wondering about it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

Lord I was distraught when I saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I nearly died when I saw nursing!

Your man told me to maybe leave applying til tomorrow or even this evening. Just wait til it's rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Chwilly

Hey if anyone is interested, there's three of us who are looking for shared city centre accommodation. We're all students starting first year, so if you're interested PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I booked mine earlier. I was told that I got a place on the Scéim Cónaithe a week or two ago so I just had to say that when I applied. Is maith liom ceol, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well turns out I'm not actually going to Trinity. Answer stays the same though, only this time the bike ride is only 10 minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Piste wrote: »
    Well turns out I'm not actually going to Trinity...

...yet ;)

Advertisement