Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[For future Trinity students] What are you doing for accommodation?

Options
  • 14-08-2009 12:35pm

(This isn't an ad or anything like that!)

So, for anyone who'll be going to Trinity, what are you doing for accommodation?

I was sure I'd book Trinity Halls, but to be honest, it's extortionately expensive: it works out at over €5400 for the year. I've been flicking around a few private houses/apartments on Daft, and ones in the City Centre (Dublin 1 or 2) come in at ~€1500/€2000 less for the year, which needn't I say, is a huge amount cheaper. They're also only 5 min from the college itself.

So, what are you planning on doing? Spending €5400+ on accommodation just for the social factor, or doing spending 40% less and being closer to college, but risk losing out on the social side associated with Trinity Halls.

(mods, you can move this to the TCD forum if you like, but I'd prefer to hear opinions of those who have just finished the LC).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

It's really hard to say, I usually lurk in the TCD forum and the general consensus that Trinity Halls seems to be noisy then again that could be just angry boardsies.

There's a few threads in the TCD forum, and a lot more people who'd give advice on Halls and on accommodation - if you want jammydodger I can leave a redirect to the TCD forum if that would suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Sadly, I shant be moving out (As much as I'd like to), but as I've been lurking around the TCD board for quite a while now, Boardsies do seem to all agree that Trinity Hall is probably the best for 1st years, and while it is considerably more expensive than independent housing, it's apparently worth it.

If I was looking for somewhere to stay, while expensive, I really would go for Trinity Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

I'm going to be staying with some family up in Dublin, can't say I'm looking forward to it that much but I can't afford anything until next year when I hope to get an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I've been bookmarking anything I've seen of interest on daft atm and once my friends and I have our offers on Monday (fingers crossed), we'll be in Dublin hoping to get it sorted asap. We're looking for a house/apartment, there's 3 of us at the moment, but I've seen a few very reasonably priced 4 bed places so we may see if we can get someone else to join us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

I only live a half hour bus journey from trinity at the mo so i'll be staying home!

I live too close for it to be worth my while moving out.

Dónal wrote: »
    There's a few threads in the TCD forum, and a lot more people who'd give advice on Halls and on accommodation - if you want jammydodger I can leave a redirect to the TCD forum if that would suffice?

Yah, I've looked through them all a good few times! Am... A redirect isn't necessary, thanks anyway Dónal. I just wanted to see what some of the LC forum regulars were doing, I don't really need advice or opinions from the TCD forum regulars, but again, thanks anyway.
    Aoibheann wrote: »
    I've been bookmarking anything I've seen of interest on daft atm and once my friends and I have our offers on Monday (fingers crossed), we'll be in Dublin hoping to get it sorted asap. We're looking for a house/apartment, there's 3 of us at the moment, but I've seen a few very reasonably priced 4 bed places so we may see if we can get someone else to join us.

I'd love to be able to do that, but it's pretty hard for me to get up to Dublin for the day (I live the opposite side of the country). If I get a private place, it'll probably be without seeing it before hand! Oh, and if you ever need a 4th, drop me a PM and I'd probably take a place if the house/apartment was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I was hoping to apply for Trinity Halls but I'm not sure about how long we have to wait to find out if we're accepted.

I mean, if it's a long wait then will all the good private accomodation have been snapped up?!

I'd love to be able to do that, but it's pretty hard for me to get up to Dublin for the day (I live the opposite side of the country). If I get a private place, it'll probably be without seeing it before hand! Oh, and if you ever need a 4th, drop me a PM and I'd probably take a place if the house/apartment was decent.

Definitely! Could well work out easier with 4 anyway, I'll keep you posted. :)

I've managed to convince my dad to drive us up one day, so it's less effort and more comfortable than a bus! And no way am I paying for halls, the fact that I did the first year of a different course means I'm liable for fees so I'm looking for reasonably priced accommodation! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Trinity's my number one choice, but there's about ZERO chance of me getting Medicine there this year.
    If I do get offered medicine, I'd say it might be in Galway. Slim chances.

However, all the other courses I've applied for are in Trinity. (I am almost positive I'll either be doing Human Health & Disease Science or Pharmacy there) in which case I'll be applying for Halls.
    I've stayed there a few times- I had friends/ siblings there for the last 2 years and had a few overnight visits.
    I really like it, and even though it's a bit far from the college itself and somewhat pricey it'd be a good way to get to know people.

Also, I don't think I know anyone going into Trinity this year, really.
    I've one pretty good friend who'll be doing Engineering, but I'd say I'd kill him if we were living together, so it'd be hard enough to find people to live with. My friends who're going into 2nd year and stuff already have a place to live. And we'd probably kill each other if we lived together :P
    I wouldn't mind living with randommers either though really...

We'll see on Monday what happens :)

• Advertisement

Let's all get a GIANT house. Clearly the best solution, we wouldn't kill each other or anything.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I enjoy thorough cleaning.
    I'd be an epic housemate!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

A giant house, like . . Trinity Hall perhaps :P
    Everybody chip in and buy a hotel, live in luxury.

But seriously, Trinity Hall seems like a good safe bet, even if you can only have it for one year max. There's plenty of people, it's a tad expensive, but I'm going for the shared room with a friend, so it shouldn't be too bad. When you work it out with utilities and everything.

Does anyone know what the story is with utilities there, fair usage on heating and things like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

if i get in (fingers very crossed) I'll definatley be applying, for a twin room mind. I feel like I missed out last year. plus if i don't have anyone else to live with, all my friends are going into second year (I dropped out last year) and have thier acommadation sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Let's all get a GIANT house. Clearly the best solution, we wouldn't kill each other or anything.. :pac:

I keep looking for houses for other people moving to dublin cos I like hunting and people should look slightly further out cos there's all these massive 5 bed houses. The likes of Templeogue, Terenure and Rathfarnham are a 15/20mins bus trip in light traffic and have like 8 buses running through them as well as parts of Rathfarnham being right by the luas. Rents are lower too!

I live in Rathfarnham though so I'm biased!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I lived in halls last year.
    Dartry is a beautiful spot and very safe but no way would I live there as a second year.
    I'd much prefer somewhere within walking distance to trinity. I wouldnt have to wake at seven in the morning and I could stumble home from a night out rather than pay for a taxi.
    I'd recommend halls to any first year as its a great way to settle into college but I just want a bit more independence now.
    I wont miss the "no smoking" in the bedrooms and the excuses for security guards pestering me when all I want to do is get into my room. :eek:

But again, If you're a first year, give halls a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Chwilly

Definitely! Could well work out easier with 4 anyway, I'll keep you posted. :)

I'm in the same position really, and it would make it that much handier to be in with trinity students like myself, so if that 4 becomes a 5.. haha:pac: then i could be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭myfatherrsson

Halls was always gonna be my backup......I spent AGES scouring rent.ie and daft for places in Dublin 2 and Rathmines area.....I emailed and phoned ppl but they were either available way too early or werent interested in peachy young student moving in so......halls it is then....going for the standard rooms cos I want my own room but also want cheapness XD

Although I myself arent looking for independant accommodation anymore my girlfriend still is! Anyone whos monthly budget is <€400 a month and going into first year she'd like to hear from ye id imagine!:P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=250489

Oh and lads....Modern Rooms or Standard? I know standard is cheaper but ffs its segragated and built in the 70's.....is it alright is what im asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I live only a 15-20 minute cycle from Trinity so I'll be staying at home in comfort!

I live only a 15-20 minute cycle from Trinity so I'll be staying at home in comfort!

What's cycling in Dublin like? Being from a town away far away in Donegal, there's a very strong impression around here (by which I mean my parents) that it's extremely dangerous.
    It's an odd thing to say since things like cycle lanes are absolutely non-existent here.

• Advertisement

Heggy wrote: »
    What's cycling in Dublin like? Being from a town away far away in Donegal, there's a very strong impression around here (by which I mean my parents) that it's extremely dangerous.
    It's an odd thing to say since things like cycle lanes are absolutely non-existent here.

It's not too bad but you obviously need to be careful some of the motorists seem to think your not allowed on the road.

I live on the northside though near enough to the airport in Santry so cycling to Trinity would be all downhill...the way home however would not be fun...

Actually if your looking to rent anywhere the Whitehall Drumcondra Santry Phisbourgh area usually has a fair few houses with good access to the city centre with lots of buses and with decent facilities. DCU's near by so they're student accommodations so they're cheapish enough.

I know Northside=bleh but it's not that bad if your stuck and would rather live in the suburbs

N.B: Self hating northsider. It's those tracksuits D:

Craguls wrote: »
    It's not too bad but you obviously need to be careful some of the motorists seem to think your not allowed on the road.

I live on the northside though near enough to the airport in Santry so cycling to Trinity would be all downhill...the way home however would not be fun...

Actually if your looking to rent anywhere the Whitehall Drumcondra Santry Phisbourgh area usually has a fair few houses with good access to the city centre with lots of buses and with decent facilities. DCU's near by so they're student accommodations so they're cheapish enough.

I know Northside=bleh but it's not that bad if your stuck and would rather live in the suburbs

N.B: Self hating northsider. It's those tracksuits D:

Well, I'm thinking of cycling from Trinity Hall, as the other options cost a moderate amount of money over time, though the LUAS is reasonable, (I think it was €12 a week) it's supposed to be very crowded, and the bus is even more expensive again.

I'll just have to go out very early some mornings before hand and get used to the routes maybe :)

I'm a little but ignorant of the whole northside, southside, D4 stereotyping, that's another thing I'm going to have to learn. :D

Well, I'm thinking of cycling from Trinity Hall, as the other options cost a moderate amount of money over time, though the LUAS is reasonable, (I think it was €12 a week) it's supposed to be very crowded, and the bus is even more expensive again.

I'll just have to go out very early some mornings before hand and get used to the routes maybe :)

I'm a little but ignorant of the whole northside, southside, D4 stereotyping, that's another thing I'm going to have to learn. :D

From what I hear there's a bike yard which is only accessible by key card on campus so cycling should be pretty safe.

LUAS is quite cool but quite crowded. Dublin bus sell rambler tickets that are good value if you milk them for use http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Student-Tickets/ they can even combine with LUAS ones.

As regards the stereotyping I wouldn't read too much into it, that said I never gotten any for being from the northside. Although apparently I'm well spoken; people at my old job would ask if I was British....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Im going for halls!

Failing that ill crash with relations until i find another place!

See ye all there! (Boards meetup in october anyone!?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I'm staying at home. I'd love to move out but I can't afford it. I'll be cycling from Tallaght, so I'm not too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

Does anyone get preference into Trinity halls...like i mean people over a certian amount of points or like people who live furthest away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

rois! wrote: »
    Does anyone get preference into Trinity halls...like i mean people over a certian amount of points or like people who live furthest away?

No.
    They may tell you that they read all applications but they dont.
    I live in castlebar, which is about three and a half hours on the train and I only got into halls in the second round.
    One of my flatmates lived in wicklow which was like a 40 min drive.
    If you want to be sure of getting into halls, apply for a twin room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 helloguys

can i just recommend two places to make sure not to stay.. griffith college and the forge. honestly no matter how desperate dont do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peehaytchdee

See the Trinity Hall page for info guys - http://www.wardentrinityhall.tcdlife.ie/rooms/

You will have to fill out an application form online and that is one of the ways the people there make their decisions on who gets in, and where they are roomed.

Does anyone know what the story is with utilities there, fair usage on heating and things like that?

Your utilities are paid for separately (and can be paid online, just like the rent). They have substantially dropped these rates, I've noticed, so anyone moving in is quite lucky! You pay it when you pay for your accommodation fee each term - so when you move in, before Christmas break, and mid-March.

I have lived in Trinity Hall two years in a row (finally moved out for my last year of study!), as well as one year when I did my MPhil. I had a great time, and can't say enough about it. I think as an incoming student, especially from outside of Dublin, it's the only way to experience your first year.

If you want to see what sort of social element is out there, see the JCR's website (these are students who have been elected by last year's residents to organise events for this year's residents): http://www.tcdhalls.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

Don't need it, 150, 54a and 15a all should serve me nicely!! la la la:pac:

Advertisement