Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Attack Incident . . .

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

ODD-JOB wrote: »
    For all the people who say the dog was not supervised ,...think about this.

An incident happened in a blink of an eye , unexpectedly...
    ...which is why the dog shouldn't have been off the lead.
    Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I beat you to it Karlog ....

Lol i need to type faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Ok my mind is going back and forth on this one. There dog was roaming. No dog should be allowed roam. Your arguement is the dog is always roaming, annoying other dogs etc. Did you ever say this to the owner. Dogs roam my land and have caused damage and legally i can shoot on site. I find a quick polite word to the owner works as it worked for them when my dog roamed. But your dog did the attackin. God im confused. In a way your dog was roaming too. If that makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Drumpot wrote: »
    it teases mine and their dogs by going up to the fence, peeing and just sniffing around the fence that locks our dogs in.
    Go around teasing other dogs and being let out to roam the estate is a disaster waiting to happen.

I feel these are invalid points, and only serve to take from your argument.
    my 2c :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Ok we'll see what the law states.

Stray dogs are dogs that are in a public place and are not accompanied by the owner or a responsible person. So the neighbours dog is considered a stray dog by law. Stray dogs may be seized by the dog warden and the Gardai and brought to the local dog pound. These dogs may be put down or disposed of if their owners do not claim them within 5 days.

Many local authorities have introduced bye-laws to indicate areas where dogs must be kept on a leash at certain times. Your local authority will be able to inform you of the bye-laws that apply in your area. So whether OP was allowed to have his dog off the leash, i dont know. That late at night though, i'm pretty sure he was.

You are liable for injury or damage caused by your dog to people or livestock.

So they were both in the wrong. They were both responsible. CASE CLOSED.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Zulu wrote: »
    ...which is why the dog shouldn't have been off the lead.
    Simple as.

In which case no dog should ever be off their lead for the rest of their entire lives,....... because if you truely know your dog , then you truly acknowledge that they can randomly act in an unpredictable manner.

How many times have you heard of owners being attacked by their dogs , totally out of charachter ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lightening wrote: »
    Dead right... Dog's fight. Kids fall. Bikes get punctures.... I could go on. The outrage here is a joke.

Kinda thinking the same way myself, since my high horse ran away :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

OP, you asked did anyone have a similar situation. I did. I was walking my dog without a lead and two dogs attacked him, the owner apologised and offered to pay, I said no worries, sheet happens, took the dog to the vet and got him sorted. No hysterics, no moralistic lectures.

My dogs have been in various scraps over the years, most of the time the dogs sort it out themselves without major injuries.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it and I wouldn't take much heed to the "wont someone think of the trildren?" brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

In which case no dog should ever be off their lead for the rest of their entire lives,.....
    Do you believe that dogs live their entire lives in public?? ...or do you just like wildly exagurating in the hope that someone believes it strenghtens your point?

Advertisement