Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do most men view above average looking girls as sex objects?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all... this might not sound like a big problem, but it's starting to really get me down.
    I am a former model, considered beautiful, etc etc. Luckiest girl in the world is what most people think! But I'm in turmoil as far as relationships go... basically I have never had a real one. Men just see me as a potential one night stand, potential FB, someone to brag to their mates about. I'm not sending out any specific signals to convey this image. I'm just a normal girl to be honest.
    Why, when a girl is good looking, dresses fashionably and is reasonably popular do men treat her as just an object to be "had"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

What type of men do you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I like all sorts of different guys, don't have a type as such. I would usually tend to let guys approach me, but without fail that seems to be all they are interested in.
    The one very short relationship I did have ended because he could not put up with his mates, etc trying to hit on me!
    Why do men assume good looking girls have no heart?

NickNolte wrote: »
    What type of men do you go for?

I hate when men post something like this as if we always choose the bas*****.

I am in the same boat, told I am pretty and just out of a relationship, but I never get a guy come over and chat me up. Last week my friends husband told me that my looks and my classy dress sense put men off as they feel I would be out of their league!!!

I mean come on - just cause I make an effort to look nice when I go out. it seems we are dammed when we do and dammed when we dont. The only guys who will approach a pretty girl are the outgoing ones and yeah maybe they are the players too....hence the B****** comment.

And yeah, I know, some will comment here that the girls can do the chatting up too, but I am a bit traditional and too shy to appraoch someone I would be srious about.

Anyway, just my tuppence worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

II would usually tend to let guys approach me

Why not chat up someone that catches your eye rather than waiting to be hit on by some chat up artist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

You should focus on maybe trying to meet guys through friends rather than random guys who come up to you.
    Usually its the wrong kind of guy that will come up to you, on a night out most guys are looking for action of some kind.

Get out with friends of friends and don't go thinking i'm going to meet a guy but simply widen your pool of acquintances. You might meet the right kind of guy and he will see you as a potential friend first and a love interest second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

There is a very simple solution to this.

Don't have sex with people the first night you meet them. Tell people that you want to know someone before you take that step. Only people who are genuinely interested in having a relationship with you will wait.

From my point of view, the harder it is to get to that stage with someone, the more I find myself attracted to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭VaioCruiser

Hey all... this might not sound like a big problem, but it's starting to really get me down.
    I am a former model, considered beautiful, etc etc. Luckiest girl in the world is what most people think! But I'm in turmoil as far as relationships go... basically I have never had a real one. Men just see me as a potential one night stand, potential FB, someone to brag to their mates about. I'm not sending out any specific signals to convey this image. I'm just a normal girl to be honest.
    Why, when a girl is good looking, dresses fashionably and is reasonably popular do men treat her as just an object to be "had"?

Hi OP.... I am sorry you are having such trouble.

As an older guy let me give you my take...

First of all men tend to see ALL women as sex objects. That is how men and women evolved and it tends to continue to this day. You are no different.
    Of course that sounds appalling in the modern day of political correctness. And most men are more sophisticated than to consciously act like this. But that doesn't change the underlying nature of the beast.

Secondly, as we discussed in an earlier thread a month ago or so, most men are very much intimidated by beautiful women. Men have to do the pursuing and rejection is a hugely painful experience. Men see a beautiful woman as a very high risk experience. The chances of being blown off is high, so they stay away.
    What is often left are the extremely confident, the arrogant and conceited, and the predators.

What is the solution ? In my opinion a beautiful woman has to learn more about men than the average girl. She has to learn to understand the fear of rejection that decent guys feel and learn to navigate it and be pro active when she finds a guy she likes. He will need a helping hand to get over that innate fear.

All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

Vaio is 100% correct on his statements. A little assistance, and positive motivation helps give more confidence for a guy to pursue or continue to pursue you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Soul Stretcher

The power is yours OP...

Yes.... the first thing ANY heterosexual man with a pulse thinks when he sees a stunningly beautfiul woman is "Wow".... He enjoys the beauty of her face and then soaks in those beautiful curves, legs etc.... He can't help it... Men are visual beings... like Greyhounds....

A sophisticated man will not let on to those around him what he is thinking. The average will stare for a while and then realise he is staring and look away - but keep glancing back to see what you're up to.... look at you from different angles....

Pubs n clubs are not your best friend. You simply become Target numero uno.

I think you need to focus on meeting people who are "into" the same things as you... you are lucky in that you can attract men anywhere.... out hiking... horse-riding.... water sports.... car maintainence class.... massage class.... photography.... you name it...

Men are intiimidated by you when they have no reason to be talkng in you... apart from your beauty...eg in a Pub....

but when they need to ask your opinion (like on a course/class or in a hobby environment) in a non-pick up environment then they will be much more forward and you might even get to know some people really well...

If I were you I would decide what I am passionate about in life (if you havn't already) and go for men who share those passions....

I would love to walk in your shoes for a day to gain an understanding of the "other side" of the attraction thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Well Im an above average man, I treat women I like with respect. When Im seeing an above attractive woman, Im proud to be her Bf alright, and love to show her off, but it comes down to personality weather Im attracted to her mentally or not.

You sound a little bit too confident, tone it down a bit and you wont be treated like an object

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭puglover

Why do you assume that it is down to your looks?

There was another thread here in the last few days with a guy assuming he wasn't successful with women because he wasn't good looking and tbh people just aren't that shallow.

TBH it sounds like me that you place too much importance in your appearance. In your post you define yourself as being a former model. You go on to describe yourself as good looking and a fashionable dresser. You haven't once mentioned your personality, intelligence, interests. If this is all that you can see you have to offer how is a man going to see anything else.

Stop relying on your looks, pretty girls are a dime a dozen, men want more in someone they plan to have a meaningful relationship with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Lady Muck

Men are visual so guaranteed you will get more attention than the "average" girl on the street.

I am considered very good looking and I get a lot of attention, but I can't say I have ever had sleazes, most men who do approach me or want to go out with me seem to want more than sex. I am a really nice person though and am told I have a lovely personality also.

Not saying you haven't as I don't know you but do you let people get to know you as a person or do you base yourself completely on your looks? I am not saying change yourself but think how you dress and carry yourself, is it giving off different signals to what is in your head?

So you think only good looking girls like to make themselves look nice and dress nice? we're all women no matter what we all love to make ourselves look nice dress smartly and classy. just because some of us are not as good looking as others are you trying to say that you should be hit on first before us other girls that why would an average girl have a boyfriend and you dont. get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Soul Stretcher

Eh... previous poster... I don't where that come from.... nothing in the OP's post suggests that she should get preferential treatment over other women... she was just wondering if all men see good-looking girls as sex objects.... perhaps read it again ????

OP... I had a huge crush, back in my teens - I'm 30 now - on a local girl. To me she was a vision.... Perfection.... Hand-crafted by a higher power.... I actually became good friends with her.... It wasn't real friendship in that I was besotted by her for a while....

Anyway - what I learned from getting to know her was:

I do not envy really beautiful women because :

1. Men DO judge them purely on looks INITIALLY and they become a target for every local Player... they also become a lust object for loads of local nice guys - and these nice guys can become quite pestersome- in a nice but boring way :D

2. They are often quite isolated. Why? Because other women can be jeaous/feel threatened/feel outshone..... It takes a woman who is truly comfortable in her own skin to be good friends with a stunning woman and not have issues with not being as beautiful.... at least when teenagers.... Teenage girls can be quite vicious....

Anyhow.... what about doing some work on your general well-being/self esteem.... or doing something that focused on your skills/personality like drama classes or the like.... and then men will see you for your talent and not just for your looks....

Good Luck ! :)

I hate when men post something like this as if we always choose the bas*****.

I am in the same boat, told I am pretty and just out of a relationship, but I never get a guy come over and chat me up. Last week my friends husband told me that my looks and my classy dress sense put men off as they feel I would be out of their league!!!

I mean come on - just cause I make an effort to look nice when I go out. it seems we are dammed when we do and dammed when we dont. The only guys who will approach a pretty girl are the outgoing ones and yeah maybe they are the players too....hence the B****** comment.

And yeah, I know, some will comment here that the girls can do the chatting up too, but I am a bit traditional and too shy to appraoch someone I would be srious about.

Anyway, just my tuppence worth

Well.... I suggest it may be you who is doing the unfair damning ... I think you should reflect on what you are saying and consider what it is like for guys whom you expect to make the running when you effectively 'hide' behind your supposed shyness ... no offense ... but you can't have it both ways.
    It is tough, really tough, to approach women when you don't know which one's will blow you off with a withering dismissive response that shatter your confidence and cut you to the quik. Women are often extremely thoughtless and cruel when they are approached and then complain about guys not approaching them and about men needing to drink before they go out :confused:

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭puglover

Anyway - what I learned from getting to know her was:

1. Men DO judge them purely on looks INITIALLY and they become a target for every local Player... they also become a lust object for loads of local nice guys - and these nice guys can become quite pestersome- in a nice but boring way :D

2. They are often quite isolated. Why? Because other women can be jeaous/feel threatened/feel outshone..... It takes a woman who is truly comfortable in her own skin to be good friends with a stunning woman and not have issues with not being as beautiful.... at least when teenagers.... Teenage girls can be quite vicious....

Anyhow.... what about doing some work on your general well-being/self esteem.... or doing something that focused on your skills/personality like drama classes or the like.... and then men will see you for your talent and not just for your looks....

I think those issues are only relevant to teenagers tbh.

1. Everyone's one initial judgement is based on looks. Most mature men (I'm talking 24/25+) here want a personality to back it up. They players can recognise when that good looking girl doesn't have much else going on upstairs, and she won't be seen as anything other than a sex object, because they just don't want anything else from her.

2. Seriously, you think that other women can't be friends with good looking women without feeling jealous/threathened or outshone. Don't be so riduculous. Did the OP mention any problem with having friends?

I am considered quite good looking... I wouldn't be so silly to say above average because quite frankly I don't think anyone is, just some of us are better at making the most of ourselves. I have a great group of friends, some of who are just good looking, others who just aren't as into their image. We have no issues between us, some nights I'll have men fawing over me, another night it'll be another girl who is getting all the attention, we don't get jealous of each other, we're happy for each other.

I am starting to wonder if this may be a problem because of the fact I live in a small town in a relatively rural area? Most men are friends of friends or aquaintences of friends and they seem to see scoring a good looking woman as a game. They have no interest in getting to know me beyond this. I never get asked on dates, they are never interested in my career, my hobbies, my friends, my life. They just want to be seen hitting on me, so they can go brag to their mates. I don't get this as much when I'm out in bigger cities or in other countries. Men there are so much more tactfull and chivilrous. Am I just doomed to the fact that all 20something men in my area are so juvenile and pathetic that they see me as nothing more than a prize in a game?
    To the poster who suggested I have sex on the first meeting - this is way wrong. I never sleep with any of these men. I have values and like to be wooed just like any girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Moomoo1

Yeah, guys do view women as sex objects. But being an attractive woman isn't just about looks, it's also about personality.

So being an ex-model wouldn't instantly make you attractive to people. Another issue with models is that they are so often too skinny. Men will think them beautiful, but would fancy the 'normal-size' women more. I for example do not find many supermodels attractive because they are just not curvy enough.

So it could be that you have the worst of both worlds: you are beautiful enough to put men off and intimidate them, and yet not so amazingly attractive to draw men to you like a magnet. Plus, with all the 'players' who want you as a trophy swarming around you, and your obvious high standards, the 'normal' guy stands little chance.

I agree with people above: you need to stop the pubs and clubs thing and look to meet people in ways that do not involve massive groups of people.

This is certainly true. They have to get used to being the focus of men's attention, men of ALL ages, and learn to deflect in a way that most women never have to.
    I have known some beautiful women though, and it has regularly surprised me at how patient and understanding and kind most of them have been toward men. I think that they learned the wisdom over the years and learned something elemental about men and women along the way. The ones who did not were some of the truest b*t*hes I have ever known. I guess it's not surprising.
    This is also so true. Women can be each other's worst enemy and women are far far more subtle and cunning in their resentment and jealousy than men ever can be. Beautiful women are often far more isolated from fellow women.

To the OP .. I would hope that you will not grow to resent men's attention. That you will appreciate the gift you have been given, and maybe start to learn/stufy more about how men and women interact on an elemental level, how men and women communicate and express themselves in different languages - and become comfortable in the skin you have been given.

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Lady Muck wrote: »
    Men are visual so guaranteed you will get more attention than the "average" girl on the street.

I am considered very good looking and I get a lot of attention, but I can't say I have ever had sleazes, most men who do approach me or want to go out with me seem to want more than sex. I am a really nice person though and am told I have a lovely personality also.

Not saying you haven't as I don't know you but do you let people get to know you as a person or do you base yourself completely on your looks? I am not saying change yourself but think how you dress and carry yourself, is it giving off different signals to what is in your head?

Wow...nice to hear a woman whose open about liking herself. Fair play Lady Muck! Makes a change....

I think you hit on something there. I'm considered attractive as well (but I'm guessing of a different "league" to the OP) but I probably wouldn't be considered a particularly fashionable dresser, I don't go for labels, not a massive fan of lots of make-up and only wear what I like...when I go out I consider comfort and practicality as well as looking nice and I usually get approached by non-sleazy men because I suppose I come across as approachable because of my body language and because I'm comfortable in what I'm wearing and in turn, give the impression I'm comfortable in my own skin (which is not 100% true but this changes from one day to the next), which is a very attractive trait for both sexes.

I'm only going on what I've observed but I can imagine it's INCREDIBLY intimidating for an ordinary, decent, sound man to approach a stunning woman with massive high-heels and done up to the nines. I think most Irish men would think she was out of their league. I've also noticed that girls so dressed up to this extent tend not be completely relaxed and are very aware of what they're wearing: concentrating on balancing on 7 inch heels, zipping into the toilet a lot to redo make-up, not enjoying themselves completely, looking around them and not engaging with their friends, not a hair out of place but don't seem completely comfortable in their own skin, even if they are day-to-day. If a man is checking you out, he can pick up on all those things and presume you're stand-offish and cold and maybe presume there's not much to you beyond what you look like..which is not true, of course.

I suppose my advice would be to be a little less aware of how you look. Try and concentrate on what's going on around you, who your talking to, engage with everyone you talk to including the decent guys who try to strike up a conversation with you (it takes a lot of bravery and he could be The One!) and just enjoy yourself and more of your personality will come through on it's own...and maybe reconsider (if this is the case) dressing yourself up to the absolute nines...if you're beautiful, you can look gorgeous without striving to emulate women in magazines. Maybe that's what modeling taught you but in the real world, a little more natural and a little less than perfection is very attractive.

• Advertisement

I find it interesting and sad that we now have two posts above, from women, knocking the girl for how she dresses, for being beautiful and insinuating it is her fault for somehow dressing to the nines ? in massive high heels ? trying to 'emulate' women in magazines ?

Where in the OP's posts does this come from ? Where is there any evidence she either does any of this ... or why on earth should she not do this ?

I suggest that as mentioned earlier in the thread, women are often other women's worst enemy. Jealousy and b*tch*iness is something beautiful women have to deal with all the time.

To OP - Don't look to other women for support :confused:

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

stop going out with closet homosexuals who get horny while talking to their mates.

I'm not your 7" heels and mini skirt type of dresser!!! I just love fashion and would be considered stylish, as are many other girls in my social circle. Yet I do not see these girls being targeted as sex objects to the extinct I am. Maybe it's my former job as a model that get's these guys going.
    I have a wonderful group of friends who are neither jealous or bitchy toward me... they are adult enough to not judge me purely on looks or my former job.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

Hi OP.

Years back I used to go out with a group of girls and one of them was ridiciously good looking & she never really got chatted up. I could never understand it. My boyfriend at the time told me that she just looked really unapproachable and that I seemed very approachable and therefore got chatted up more etc.

These days I tend to go out with two of my friends mostly, both of them really good looking and both with terrific personalities. We just have a laugh when we are out and if someone comes over to our group we tend to have the craic with them, player or regular guy it doesn't matter. If anything, the guys tend to want the girl's numbers to take them out on a date etc.

I reckon that because you are in a small town, you could just be a "prize" between the lads but you shouldn't let it get to you because none of them are probably worth it. I say, have a bit of fun with it. Give the "players" as good as they get and soon it will be known that you are not into that type of guy and you might have a good time while doing it.

Hope all goes well :)

Many many people have a problem starting a relationship,whether they are drop dead gorgeous or not so drop dead gorgeous!
    Some guys view girls only as sex objects,some don't. Not all guys are like the ones you have encountered!! You could always try chatting up guys yourself too you don't have to wait to be approached!
    But one thing i would say is don't change a thing about how you dress or act, because you're not being true to yourself and that's hardly a good way to start a relationship.

I've been told I'm very sexy (which I think is a far cry from beautiful) and I love getting done up to the nines when I go out as do most of the girls I know and to be honest I wouldn't feel comfortable going out any other way, I totter around on my heels and I reapply my make up and check my hair but I also pretty much always have a great night when i go out !! I'm extremely approachable when I'm out I would talk to the wall!! I have a few stunning friends who are just as approachable. If a guy thinks you're snobby and cold beacuse you're dressed up and in high heels then he wouldn't be the kind of guy I'd be bothered with anyway,would you??
    And tbh i don't know many girls in my age range who go out wearing something they don't feel comfortable in just to impress guys! I reckon I and many other women stopped doin that when they were teenagers! I'm sure there are such women but they're lacking maturity if that's the case.

OP some night when you're out and you least expect it an amazing guy will approach you and you'll see they're not all just after one thing, have faith!!

I find it interesting and sad that we now have two posts above, from women, knocking the girl for how she dresses, for being beautiful and insinuating it is her fault for somehow dressing to the nines ? in massive high heels ? trying to 'emulate' women in magazines ?

Where in the OP's posts does this come from ? Where is there any evidence she either does any of this ... or why on earth should she not do this ?

I suggest that as mentioned earlier in the thread, women are often other women's worst enemy. Jealousy and b*tch*iness is something beautiful women have to deal with all the time.

All the best.

Knocking her for looking her best? No. Knocking her for being good-looking? Reread my post. I find it interesting that a man presumes I'm jealous of a woman just because she's beautiful. Bizarre. You've never met me and you've never met the OP....how in God's name I could be jealous of woman I never met is beyond me. :confused: I don't hate other women...I'm not that kind of chick so you're waaaaay off the mark there, buddy. Don't presume I am by default JUST because I'm a woman. I happen to be good-looking AND pretty comfortable with how I look so I really have no need to be jealos. If I am jealous at all, I'd be more envious of a woman who hold the attention of men with more than just their looks. Women who are good-looking AND have the personality to match (the kind of women men fall in love with and not just want for a shag) are usually the ones women hate, tbh and good-looking women are a dime a dozen.

My point was that some women seem stand-offish because they're so self-conscious because they're uncomfortable with fussing over being so polished and preened with what they're wearing and how beautiful they are.....they're too aware of this...and I'm only speculating and wondering maybe this might be something the OP picked up from modeling. There's "dressing to the nines" and not being comfortable with how you look (don't tell me you don't see it) and looking absolutely gorgeous but comfortable. BIg difference and I was throwing it out there wondering if this was the case with the OP.

I went to a wedding a few years ago and I probably looked the best I ever looked in my life and I knew it. I was primed and preened and dressed to within an inch of my life. Men were checking me out, I felt uncomfortable, I looked uncomfortable, men picked up on this and even though I looked hot, hotter than I would on an average night out, not one of them approached me.

THIS is my point. Don't throw me in the b*tchy female brigade because I'm giving a female perspective.

Anyway, she's not trying to pull women, she's trying to pull men so clearly women are not the only ones doing the judging.

I'm not your 7" heels and mini skirt type of dresser!!! I just love fashion and would be considered stylish, as are many other girls in my social circle. Yet I do not see these girls being targeted as sex objects to the extinct I am. Maybe it's my former job as a model that get's these guys going.
    I have a wonderful group of friends who are neither jealous or bitchy toward me... they are adult enough to not judge me purely on looks or my former job.

How do they know you were model? Do you tell them this off the bat and if so, why?

I suppose some men might presume you're a certain way because you modeled...there is a stereotype. I'm not suggesting you keep that a secret but maybe don't tell them on the first night and see what happens.

All the best.

She mentioned she was a model and into fashion....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi OP.

Maybe you answered your own question - but it could just be down to where you are - small town - small town mentality.

Vaio also made some great suggestions - not sure if you are doing this - but meeting someone involved in something you love is so much better. Just think of all the barriers that are immediately knocked down - you already have something to talk about so that awkward stage is already gone :)

One thing else I suggested elsewhere is maybe you can appear more approachable to other guys if they see you smiling and laughing more. I know it might be hard if you are steeling yourself to be approached by a player but you never know.

Also feel free to make the first move; even just eye contact and a nice smile - might give someone a nice boost - maybe enough to gain the courage to talk to you, or you could just talk to them....

At the end of the day though - if you are circulating in places where there are only shallow gits that is all you will meet.

• Advertisement

im an 'above average' looking woman too ( awful term) and i never get seen only as a sex object. It might be the guys in your local town, as you said when you go to cities is a different story. I don't mean to offend you but why do the local guys do this? Are you seen as 'easy' or something? Do you let them walk all over you? If you are more confident in yourself and not just focus on your looks then these guys might treat you differently.

Advertisement