Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ 2009/2010 New Season

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

My mother always referes to some rubbish on RTE once in a while ("did you see it, did you see it?") and I do have to keep telling her "WE DON'T WATCH RTE!!!"

With this amount of pure NEW rubbish, nothing is going to change our mind at the rate of pure new garbage coming from them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Has anyone heard anything about "The Panel" coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm excited about Flash Forward but the domestic stuff looks truly diabolical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

RTÉ Religious

(New) Does God Hate…? Marian Finucane chairs a series of lively studio discussions, in which she asks people from a variety of faiths: Does God Hate… Sex, Science, Women and Peace?
    Cuh. 'Hot' on the heels of 2006's God Delusion book. RTE... always a follower, never a leader.

Does anyone expect Finucane to actually strongly press people to explain their religion-backed bigotries? No. They'll get plenty of snaking wiggle room to just equivocate and distract. These programmes will most likely be poorly chaired. (Hope I'm wrong, though.)

Get Dawkins himself to put the questions out, no guff:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

RTÉ Entertainment

(New) Val Falvey T.D. Ardal O’Hanlon stars as recently elected TD Val Falvey in this brand new six-part series written by Arthur Mathews (Father Ted) and Paul Woodfull (Stew).
    This carries more hope than most comedy offerings from RTE, only if because Ardal and Arthur's names are attached to it.
    All Ireland Talent Show returns on a mission to uncover the most engaging, exciting, impressive and entertaining talents this country has to offer, in bigger and better show and a new companion show, presented by Aidan Power.
    Why is this tame milquetoast Gong Show still around? Oh yeah... cheap telly fodder.

(New) Sarah & Steve: from the makers of Dan & Becs, this new comedy focuses on a couple from Tallaght and their struggling relationship.
    Ugh. A further attempt at a quarterbaked Marion & Geoff ripoff? No thanks.

RTÉ MUSIC

(New) All Island School Choir The pick of the country’s second level school choirs will star in this five programme series presented by Anne Cassin.
    This is the best RTE could do with regard to new music programmes on telly? Lousy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

no hardy bucks:mad::(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Panel has - unexpectatly in my opinion - been renewed again, but The 10 O'Clock Show would seem to be much the same idea in a repackaged format. The Byrne Ultimatium would seem also to be moving in on that category, though it sounds more like a reincarnation of Don't Feed the Gondalas.

Sarah and Steve seems to be basically Dan and Becs relocated from Foxrock to Tallaght.

Pat Kenny's new show (can we drop the definte article and just call Frontline, please?) may be interesting, though it seems like it will thread on Prime Time's toes. There will need to be a clear delination between the two IMO, or else they might just as well call it Prime Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    Pat Kenny's new show (can we drop the definte article and just call Frontline, please?) may be interesting, though it seems like it will thread on Prime Time's toes. There will need to be a clear delination between the two IMO, or else they might just as well call it Prime Time.

You mean Prime Time: The Frontline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

The Panel has - unexpectatly in my opinion - been renewed again
    Excellent, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Only thing there that I'd watch will be The Panel, Flash Forward (Though they'll probably stick it on at the ideal hour of 4:30am) and Val Falvey (only because a friends an extra)

I'd love to scrap RTE 2 and the notion of "Irish Programming" so we can just use the budget to fill RTE 1 with good international stuff or just give it to TV3

• Advertisement

Conor108 wrote: »
    Only thing there that I'd watch will be The Panel, Flash Forward (Though they'll probably stick it on at the ideal hour of 4:30am) and Val Falvey (only because a friends an extra)

I'd love to scrap RTE 2 and the notion of "Irish Programming" so we can just use the budget to fill RTE 1 with good international stuff or just give it to TV3

Or TG4 both seem better with their international shows. But both have recently start with the late night schedules with TV3 having PlayTV pushing their early night schedule into the early morning schedule.

We do need "Irish Programming" weather you like them or not many Independent producers rely on RTE for their existence.

Why bother with Irish channels at all if you are only showing cheap imported programming?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

(New) All Island School Choir The pick of the country’s second level school choirs will star in this five programme series presented by Anne Cassin.
    RTÉ Lifestyle.

Hadn't the BBC a choir competition programme earlier this year.

There seems to be very little originality in the programmes, any of the new programmes seem to be very similar formats to what is on other channels. Am looking forward to seeing the Pat Kenny show. Who thought giving Maeve Higgins her own show was a good idea, she's just not funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Hopefully Nurse Jackie and Flash Forward wont be given the dreaded 2am slots

JP Liz wrote: »
    Hopefully Nurse Jackie and Flash Forward wont be given the dreaded 2am slots

This is mainly an announcement of their Prime Time schedule, note the absence of all of their other imports that reside in the late nights of one and two.
    Hadn't the BBC a choir competition programme earlier this year.

UTV used to have a Choir Competition, I wish RTÉ hadn't thought of it, I suppose it is Public Service Broadcasting, but I would rather see them broadcast The NSO Proms since they are also funded by the Licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Am I the only one thinking Karl Spains show could be decent? There's a ****eload of excellent rock covers bands in Ireland making a decent living that never get attention through the likes of AI Talent ****e and the like.

KerranJast wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking Karl Spains show could be decent? There's a ****eload of excellent rock covers bands in Ireland making a decent living that never get attention through the likes of AI Talent ****e and the like.

have the applied for the AITS?

All of the shows could be decent, but its better to criticize before we even see them. Ironically the number of threads for all of the shows will be the same as usual on boards. This is just the start of people say everything is crap, sure that is the boards way, and lets on stop now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭frankymail

It's not just the boards way, it's just the Irish way! :rolleyes:

The Irish are a pessimistic bunch. In reality there are some pretty good programs in that list. As I've said before I've a feeling "The School" is going to shake things up. Joe Duffy calls and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why is it that no one can criticize without being accused of being "typically Irish"? Is it not possible that the criticism is deserved?

In the case of these new shows, some of them could be good, we just don't know till they air, but we already know of people like Pat Kenny, Meabh Higgins and David McSavage, and should be able to form a reasonable opinion of what their shows will be like.

I have no particular opinion on either Kenny or Higgins, but in the case of McSavage, who is a talentless nump, I feel quite angry that RTE are wasting the licence money that I pay, on him.

jor el wrote: »
    Why is it that no one can criticize without being accused of being "typically Irish"? Is it not possible that the criticism is deserved?

Typically response of "that's ****e", ironically it typically Irish of someone to point out how typically Irish that is.

It is possible to criticize when deserved but they have only just announced their schedule and everyone fell on them like a ton of bricks.

I am sure I will be the first to say that Mr. McSavage is ****e when he airs again. He was ****e when he aired a few months ago, I am surprised that RTÉ didn't notice. (not really that surprised TBH).

But I won't bring in the licence fee to say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chubaca26

ive heard stone cold sober in the lifestyle section is gonna be a surprisingly good show, anyone else hear anything ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The Panel has - unexpectatly in my opinion - been renewed again

Shame, considering that that show hasn't been funny in about three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

jor el wrote: »
    I have no particular opinion on either Kenny or Higgins, but in the case of McSavage, who is a talentless nump, I feel quite angry that RTE are wasting the licence money that I pay, on him.

But he's Tubridy's cousin AND a Director-General's grandson! How can RTÉ not give him a show? That would be like not letting Bertie's brother into the Senate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

994 wrote: »
    But he's Tubridy's cousin AND a Director-General's grandson!

I would like to see the family trees for Maeve Higgins, Jason Byrne, Derek Mooney, Karl Spain, The shouty one from that National lottery Farce, Liam McCormack, All Rte childrens programme presenters since 1994, PJ Gallagher, Oliver Callan, Brian Ormond, etc. just to highlight the fact that Rté's problem isn't necessarily nepotism; the problem is that they constantly force talentless eejits upon us, whether they're well connected or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

(New) The Boys of St Columb’s Follows the return of a remarkable group of boys who all attended St Columb’s College, overlooking Derry’s Bogside around the same time.
    Whut???
    (New) Maeve Higgins ’ Fancy Vittles Set in a country kitchen Maeve helps her sister Lilly, a brilliant cook, to prepare minor feasts for various people.
    Good, because while Maeve Higgins is completely lacking in charisma, talent and charm, a premise as genius as this would be impossible to mess up.

Movies Premieres include... Poseidon
    For those that missed it on TV3 last week? :rolleyes:

I did quite like Raw, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭frankymail

Shame, considering that that show [the panel] hasn't been funny in about three years.

Three years is a big exaggeration. It was toned down majorly since moved over to RTE ONE.

I went to one of the live shows last year and it was comical live. Nearly all the material that would have made it to air had it been on RTE TWO was removed as RTE ONE attracts a totally different audience. It was like they were trying to slighty shift the programs genre, focusing on topical subjects in the news with LIGHT comedy rather than the hilarious piss takes they usually took on RTE TWO the season previous.

I liked RAW too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Arrgh! They cancelled The Bill on RTE 1. I love that show.

Does anyone know what series and episode the last one broadcast on RTE 1was?

Advertisement