Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

racist gaff by commentator???

Options
  • 13-08-2009 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

hey did anyone watch the england holland soccer game on wedneday and notice when one of the commentators were talking about how the weather in south africa for the world cup will be colder because of its their winter or something and then said
    "the whites will enjoy it more"
    :eek:
    Did i hear wrong? (i take it was because england were in white)
    Maybe i heard it wrong because i was half listening but i sounded bad/funny!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

nah, not rascist. Just implying us whiteys suffey more in the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

You misheard my friend. He thought the mic was off and he actually said "I'd enjoy a good shyte".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Sizzler wrote: »
    You misheard my friend. He thought the mic was off and he actually said "I'd enjoy a good shyte".

no he said "those south africans look like shite".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Unless he painted swastikas all over it, I doubt the guy has a racist gaff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

adamski8 wrote: »
    "the whites will enjoy it more"
    :eek:

To say "the whites" when referring to white people is now racist? This world is gone to ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    To say "the whites" when referring to white people is now racist? This world is gone to ****.

I prefer being called a "honky" to improve my street cred.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

How is it racist?

White people like getting a tan.

Black people don't need it.

Saying a skin colour is automatically racist is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Its gaffe, not gaff ........

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well it's considered racist when you say things like "the blacks don't like our weather, too cold for 'em", particularly when talking about players from Scotland and Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    can you honestly call a bunch of people black in front of them? "hey, you're all black! what a coincidence!"

always been a flaw in racism imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Aknowledging the fact that anyone in any way different to you even exists in a way that is different to you is racist.

You can thanks the do gooders of the world for ruining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    can you honestly call a bunch of people black in front of them? "hey, you're all black! what a coincidence!"

always been a flaw in racism imho.

ok in New Zealand:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Well it's considered racist when you say things like "the blacks don't like our weather, too cold for 'em", particularly when talking about players from Scotland and Norway.

Yeah my read of the op was that the guy was saying white people like cold weather and black people like warm weather which is stereotyping

e: or that that's what it sounded like, based on what the op heard, if he wasn't refering to the white jerseys, etc, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If something racist had been said it would be all over the Politically Correct media in a flash, that I've not heard a peep, nor has anyone else it seems, suggests it didn't happen. Earex is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

I prefer white marshmallows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

hblock21 wrote: »
    I prefer white marshmallows

Racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

obl wrote: »
    Racist.

:eek: Try making smoors from black marshmallows.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Referring to people as blacks or whites is racist? That's crazy, it's just a fact that people can be black or white. I'm pretty sure I've heard Barack Obama use these terms, and he's been something of a racial equality poster-boy for a while. In South Africa, which was referred to in the first post, the terms "blacks", "whites" and "coloureds" are commonplace and completely unrelated to racism in their most basic usage.

Are we supposed to avoid that skin colour exists or something, or that different skin tones react differently to the sunshine:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

:eek: Try making smoors from black marshmallows.!

Much nicer, when they've been held over a fire for a minute!

Sofaspud wrote: »
    Much nicer, when they've been held over a fire for a minute!

yeah, on a nice piece of wood and I like mine burned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can't be racist against white people. You can call them anything you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Are we supposed to avoid that skin colour exists or something, or that different skin tones react differently to the sunshine:confused:

Yes but your missing the point, its only racist when 'us' whites refer to other 'races' (thats another thing that gets me, it should not be racist, it should be creedist, there is only actually one race after all, the human race) refer to any other creed in any way that is even touching on demeaning.

'Racism' is wrong of course, but the do gooders of this world are ruining the real sentiments of the cause against it.

The same thing happens with sexism, women pick and choose when men are being pigs, yet act more laddish nowadays as they can get away with it. It shows when someone like Beyonce can release the most sexist song in pop history that plays on every male stereotype and its actually hailed as a great song(i.e. 'If I was a boy'). People don't listen to lyrics anymore obviosly :D or they revert back to my original point of picking and choosing when things are sexist :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

ScumLord wrote: »
    You can't be racist against white people. You can call them anything you want.
    you cant call them black.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Referring to people as blacks or whites is racist?

especially as they are brown :P and pink :D

(please dont ban me - just making a bad humoured joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

adamski8 wrote: »
    Maybe i heard it wrong because i was half listening but i sounded bad/funny!

You can't talk.

Did Seal ever get his cut of those royalties?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    you cant call them black.

i thought my Uncle Tommy was wearing black socks, but when I looked at them closely, they were just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very dark blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

yeah, on a nice piece of wood and I like mine burned!

like on a large burning lower cast letter t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

So would it be racist I wonder to refer to those fake tan-clad women as "Orange"? Cos thats what they are. Could have sectarian connotations!

demakinz wrote: »
    i thought my Uncle Tommy was wearing black socks, but when I looked at them closely, they were just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very dark blue.
    I wear stockings, not socks, dear, :p
    genericguy wrote: »
    like on a large burning lower cast letter t?
    :eek: I'm telling on you...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Referring to people as blacks or whites is racist? That's crazy, it's just a fact that people can be black or white. I'm pretty sure I've heard Barack Obama use these terms, and he's been something of a racial equality poster-boy for a while. In South Africa, which was referred to in the first post, the terms "blacks", "whites" and "coloureds" are commonplace and completely unrelated to racism in their most basic usage.

Calling someone black or white is fine.
    "Coloured" is not.

Advertisement