Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flicks with smoking in them could soon be given an over 18' rating

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Wertz wrote: »
    You think if the brits adopt this bullsh*t that we won't be 3 months behind them?

I doubt it, especially given that it's only a proposal so far (and from Primary Care trust, not the council itself), and anyway it's only a town council in Liverpool that are considering it, it has nothing to do with the BBFC ratings system.

As far as I'm aware we don't have legislation in Ireland allowing councils to reclassify films rated by IFCO in their own areas, like the UK.

So in summary, no, I don't think if "the brits" adopted this, we'd also do it within the space of 3 months.

The thread title is misleading BS really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Let me have my semi-informed rant in peace damn you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Wertz wrote: »
    Let me have my semi-informed rant in peace damn you!

:D

Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

That is ridiculous!

How many people are over 18 foot tall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

That is ridiculous!

How many people are over 18 foot tall?
    I dont get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

greetings wrote: »
    I dont get it?

They apostrophe after 18 in the thread title is used for feet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wudangclan wrote: »
    but violence and murder can get a 15 rating?
    At one stage in the UK you could not show a breast in a sexual manner to people under 15, but you could show breasts of someone being killed because it was non-sexual :rolleyes:

the technology is out there to digitally edit cigarettes from films , and a fair few recent films have smoking put in as product placement

but please if they are going to digitally edit films, replace Hugo Weavering with Sam Neill in the Lord of the Rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The ban will target new releases, but could affect older films such as 101 Dalmatians and Disney’s Peter Pan, the Little Mermaid and Pinnocchio if they are reissued and reclassified.
    <snip>
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/6021685/Under-18s-to-be-banned-from-films-which-show-smoking.html

There are two key words in the sentence above that scream tabloid-style scaremongering - "could" and "if".
    but please if they are going to digitally edit films, replace Hugo Weavering with Sam Neill in the Lord of the Rings.

I can see it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Fair City/Eastenders still have smokers. Will these have to be shown after 9pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm far more worried about my child watching reality TV and 'talent' shows, to be honest.

Or being on them, mother of Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Fair City/Eastenders still have smokers. Will these have to be shown after 9pm?

There's been numerous outcries over the years about the level of open alcohol consumption and it's focus as a social outlet as depicted by english soaps...yet they all still swill away down their fictional locals.
    I'd imagine it'll be the same for smoking (once it's outside mind)...

Advertisement