Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flicks with smoking in them could soon be given an over 18' rating

Options
  • 13-08-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Children under 18 will be banned from watching films that depict characters smoking under plans being considered by council ‘thought police’.
    An 18 certificate usually reserved for movies with violent and sexual content will soon be slapped on any film featuring smokers that fails to explain cigarettes are bad for you.

Such titles include Disney’s classic 101 Dalmatians cartoon, in which the evil Cruella de Vil waves a cigarette holder.

The ban will target new releases, but could affect older films such as 101 Dalmatians and Disney’s Peter Pan, the Little Mermaid and Pinnocchio if they are reissued and reclassified.

Casablanca, Titanic and Lord of the Rings would be restricted to adults under the plans proposed for Liverpool.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/6021685/Under-18s-to-be-banned-from-films-which-show-smoking.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

but violence and murder can get a 15 rating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

wudangclan wrote: »
    Toking a splif would probably be exempt :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

This is so ridiculous it makes me want to kill myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They'll be banning movies with fires/fireplaces next. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The Walsho wrote: »
    This is so ridiculous it makes me want to kill myself.

Save your killing urges for the censors.

Then they can slap a 15 cert on you for murdering them, but don't smoke while you do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Save your killing urges for the censors.

Then they can slap a 15 cert on you for murdering them, but don't smoke while you do it.

smoke a spilff instead:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

wudangclan wrote: »

not if serial killer has a smoke afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Chewing wine gums next.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm all for it, dunno why yet, I'm sure I'll think of something though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

most other countries in the world are becoming more progressive, moving with the times and such, yet Ireland seems to be actually looking for ways to bring us back to the dark ages.

and cowen will probably bring in fines for under 18's caught looking at smokers in the street. the fat cunt.

I'm an idiot that doesn't read posts in their entirety.

• Advertisement

Chewing wine gums next.

don't forget rock shandy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I'm sure studios will simplty adapt their child orintated films to ensure there are no smoking scenes. An 18's cert seems a bit excessive to me though. A 15's or 12's cert might be more appropiate. I think most 17 year old can handle a smoking scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

genericguy wrote: »
    most other countries in the world are becoming more progressive, moving with the times and such, yet Ireland seems to be actually looking for ways to bring us back to the dark ages.

Except, well, this is being considered by a council in Liverpool.

MikeC101 wrote: »

Thank you. I need to calm down and read things right to the end in future, rather than getting p'd off early and assuming it's jabba the cowen's fault. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You think if the brits adopt this bullsh*t that we won't be 3 months behind them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Didn't they also want to rename Christmas to 'Winterval' as not to offend Muslims?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ridiculous.

A story about skinning puppies for a coat is fine, BUT SHE'S SMOKING? BAN IT! BAN IT!

Also, no child wants to be Cruella. She's an evil cow. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Didn't they also want to rename Christmas to 'Winterval' as not to offend Muslims?

As far as I'm aware Birmingham already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Children under 18 will be banned from watching films that depict characters smoking under plans being considered by council ‘thought police’.

Aren't all children under 18?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Smokers in kids films are nearly always the bad guy anyway. Shouldn't they stick with that subtle subliminal messaging instead if they really want to stop kids smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

An 18 certificate usually reserved for movies with violent and sexual content will soon be slapped on any film featuring smokers that fails to explain cigarettes are bad for you.

Such titles include Disney’s classic 101 Dalmatians cartoon, in which the evil Cruella de Vil waves a cigarette holder.

The ban will target new releases, but could affect older films such as 101 Dalmatians and Disney’s Peter Pan, the Little Mermaid and Pinnocchio if they are reissued and reclassified.

Casablanca, Titanic and Lord of the Rings would be restricted to adults under the plans proposed for Liverpool.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/6021685/Under-18s-to-be-banned-from-films-which-show-smoking.html

How can she smoke underwater?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

bluto63 wrote: »
    How can she smoke underwater?
    Sea weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I cant see muslim's renaming ramadan to not offend christmas...

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I cant see muslim's renaming ramadan to not offend christmas...

Muslims are always the bad guys these days anyway, it'll just help reinforce that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Muslims are always the bad guys these days anyway, it'll just help reinforce that point.

Na dude I know plenty of them and they are quite nice people.... only problem is over there you have people getting offended on their behalf. Its a bit silly really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

And yet horseshite like Transformers gets a rating that encourages children to watch.

Dear oh dear.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterval

Read less of the Daily Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Has anyone in liverpool council thought about all these poor kids that have to walk past all those evil adults at the front door puffing on their death sticks, before they get to watch this sanitised Hollywood muck?
    Or are they going to ban smoking in public places beforehand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Ridiculous.

A story about skinning puppies for a coat is fine, BUT SHE'S SMOKING? BAN IT! BAN IT!

Also, no child wants to be Cruella. She's an evil cow. :mad:

But but but, she looks so cool being an evil cow :(
    As far as I'm aware Birmingham already have.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Bradistan?

And now fr my two cents:
    That's such a ridiculous proposal. Where will it stop? Next there'll be a law about blasphemy...

Advertisement