Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you classify these Dublin accents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

I say fellows, I thought you all spoke in this quaint manner....certainly sounds alot more authentic than those queer chaps in the OP....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Latchy wrote: »
    ...the southcide

Close to suicide*.

Worst accent evar: my neice (Cabra). My own daughters have to ask her repeatedly what she's saying. She's completely unintelligible, and that's all that matters about an accent.

*Side is spelled side. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

the northcide Dubs or the southcide ones ?

Quite a variation in the accent .

North County Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Other than the first one (what the **** was that?) I don't really hear all that much of a difference between each clip.

I was in Waterford last week. There was a strange amount of Dublin accent in the air.

I've forgotten what my accent sounds like. I've been playing around with my voice so much lately, I think I may have forgotten how to speak naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

DrumSteve wrote: »
    well id rather be a dub Jackeen than some bog trotter.
    FYP

As to those accents, all sound the same more or less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Magnus wrote: »

E.N.T. thataway ---->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

the northcide Dubs or the southcide ones ?

Quite a variation in the accent .

Roight, i speak perfectly D4 language :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

you can't beat the west of ireland accent, and the galway city one in particular. soft, lilting, easy on the ear....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

tallus wrote: »
    There's nothing like a thread about Dublin to bring out the begrudging culchie gits :)
    Why in the love and honour of jaysus do you think anyone would begrudge you living in dublin.cultureless,hustle and busle,hours and hours commuting to and from work and over PRICED to put it mildly.No thanks i'll gladly stick to this side of the country:).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Des wrote: »
    bleedin' bog warriors.

If you hate Dublin so much then get the fúck out of it.

I'd love to nuke bog-central Ranelagh and all the pubs they frequent.
    Why do you think we sent those fuppers up there, Where are all the hard-nut stabtastic smack heads when ya need them. There's no room for them back here, we turned that field into a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Limerick people giving out. Whatever next.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I would propose that the North-South dublin disparity in accents isn't really applicable anymore.

If anything its more of a East-West divide these days. The Dart Line against the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Magnus wrote: »
    FYP

jackeen,dub, whatever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Correct. Dublin was always a foreign bridgehead, Dublin accent is not an Irish accent at all.
    Oh how I lolled. If you're talking about "foreign bridgeheads" well then you better lump in Waterford, Galway and especially Cork then. Good luck with that.

While you're at it you better tell the Scottish that their accent, Gaelic language and even their name as a people is not really theirs as it's actually all Irish. Good luck with that one too. Their whole country was at one time a bridgehead of a foreign power that wasnae the hated engerlish. We forced out their religion, tweaked their culture and obliterated their various languages in very short order on the back of a Irish cultural invasion. The Norman/English by practical comparison could be well argued did less.

So basically in that case the only "real" Irish accent, is to be found at the fringes or in the middle of this island?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

cruiser178 wrote: »
    Why in the love and honour of jaysus do you think anyone would begrudge you living in dublin Limerick. cultureless, hustle and busle, hours and hours commuting to and from work and over PRICED to put it mildly. Drab, amenity-less, graveyard of prospects and boring to put it mildly. No thanks i'll gladly stick to this side of the country:).

Fixamajigged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Moriarity

Dublin Writer...thanks for responding. You appear to be the only one (as well as Mangus) that actually got the point. Anyone else want to follow Dublin Writer's cue, instead of hurl abuses at one another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Mike... wrote: »
    Not really an Irish Accent is it...More of a West Brit Accent

The Welsh accent is nothing like a Dublin accent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

They hate the Irish do the Dubs. Hate them.

Remember about 1000 years back there when the young O'Brien lad went up to give them a puck in the jaw? They seem to have forgotten their lesson.

topper75 wrote: »
    They hate the Irish do the Dubs. Hate them.

Remember about 1000 years back there when the young O'Brien lad went up to give them a puck in the jaw? They seem to have forgotten their lesson.

Seriously, wtf are you bangin' on about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

BVB wrote: »
    Dublin people speak english more clearly then the Great British and other 25 counties in the ROI

hehe. That was like one of the 3 major "achievements" of the Irish people in National School - the other two being that O'Connell Bridge was the 3rd widest bridge in a European city and the Phoenix Park was the largest enclosed city park in Europe.

Whatever about the last two, the first claim is an absolutely hilarious example of a regional backwater mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

1. West Brit
    2. North Dublin City working class
    3. Middle-class West Ireland
    4. Middle-class North Dublin affecting working-class Dublin
    5. Working-class Dublin affecting middle-class Dublin

the same accent that can be found in every working class area on the southside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

the same accent that can be found in every working class area on the southside?

The northside/southside thing just doesn't exist. Neilstown, Jobstown, Tallagh, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot, Crumlin, Drimnagh, Inchicore, Bluebell, Dolphins Barn are all "posh" southside areas.
    But Clontarf, Drumcondra, Castleknock, Sutton, Howth, Whitehall and Malahide are all pure working class salt of the earth dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭fippy

Dublin people speak english more clearly then the Great British and other 25 counties in the ROI

"than"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Aww Bless. People who actually think where they come from is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

For ****s sake when are people going to stop with this Dublin v Rest of country nonsense? Every second thread seems to dissolve in the usual 'Dub scumbags' and 'Inbred Culchies' nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Quint wrote: »
    The northside/southside thing just doesn't exist. Neilstown, Jobstown, Tallagh, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot, Crumlin, Drimnagh, Inchicore, Bluebell, Dolphins Barn are all "posh" southside areas.
    But Clontarf, Drumcondra, Castleknock, Sutton, Howth, Whitehall and Malahide are all pure working class salt of the earth dubs

I had to read your post twice.

Ballyer and posh in the same sentence. well i never.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

Moriarity wrote: »
    Hi. I have seen several posts on here about various accents in Ireland, and was hoping that all of you could help me out with this - it requires watching about ten seconds' worth of clips on youtube of various Dubliners (and surroundings) speaking. Some of these people's voices you may already know well, so in that case, no need to watch the clip.

The question for all, however, is: by his accent, can you identify where the speaker is from, and what type of background/'class' he is from?

As I said, the content of the clip isn't important. More the accent! Thanks in advance.

Speaker 1: David Norris http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8-KWkIDFi8

Speaker 2: Bertie Ahern http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrEfKXTatWE

Speaker 3: Presenter of 'Cromwell in Ireland' Documentary on RTE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NAY6mu43zc

Speaker 4: Colin Farrell (yikes!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIL3K2iGzYs

Speaker 5: 'Presenter' of Lisbon Treaty ad (Simon Delaney is speaker) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqVL3IWZ9Pg

Speaker 1: V. Posh Dublin with a sprinkle of English accent.
    Speaker 2: Working class Dub accent (North & Southside).
    Speaker 3: RTE accent (not Dublin or any other county).
    Speaker 4: Working class Dub accent.
    Speaker 5: Television non-accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

tallus wrote: »
    There's nothing like a thread about Dublin to bring out the begrudging culchie gits :)

I don't really understand this post. Look at the third post of this thread:
    All better than any class of a turf-eating muck savage accent.

That has been thanked 16 times at the time of this writing. That was preceded by this post:
    Berkut wrote: »
    Dublin Accent = Scum

Which has been thanked three times.

AHers, I ask you this. Who looks the most begrudging? The reactionary four "fuck Dublin, they're all scumbags" culchies or the hysterical seventeen "OMG!!!! THEY'RE MAKING FUN OF DUBLIN!!!! SOMEBODY STOP THEMMMMM!!!!!" jackeens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Bleedin deadly buzz anto ye muppeh ye......storyyyyy...i'll bleedin batter ye

Yes indeed, dublin people are much easier to understand than any other person in great britain or ireland........spanner..sorry, spannah!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Another thing is that the whole notion of classifying anybody outside Dublin as a 'Culchie' is stupid. A person who grew up in the cities of Cork, Limerick, or Galway can't be classified under the same heading as a person from a small rural village. There are also big differences between different regions of the countryside. But to our seventeen bright sparks that Frada mentioned, they're all just 'Feckin Culchies that (insert reference to incest or some form of agricultural activity)'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement