Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Luas on the way to Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

congo_90 wrote: »
    And send threads off topic big time...
    This is a discussion of the new luas and luas related stuff not politics.
    No offence to you, Green_jesus

By the way I think Run_to_da_hills may have been taking the pish!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

They've been taking the old ones away from Sandyford and upgrading them for the last few weeks. As you saw in the pics the trucks are huge. Very strange to see half taken apart Luas' literally driving onto the backs of the trucks.

Glad they're upping capacity, Im lucking that I go out of town in the mornings but you see people who cant fit on to the trams every morning. Maybe we need guys with sticks to push everyone on!?!:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Upgrading them? What upgrades are required? I know the internal layout on the stretched 301s is different to the 401s but I can't see what would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

To date 8 new trams (the 402) have arrived at Sandyford and are being prepared for service. When they are ready the old trams (the 401) will be sent to the red line. No work has been done to the older trams as these are still in operation and no work will be done as these trams are perfect as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

The all heavy rail in Ireland uses the wider gauge with better loadings.

Never heard that used as a reason for us having a unique gauge?!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

HonalD wrote: »
    Never heard that used as a reason for us having a unique gauge?!?

The reason for the unique gauge was that it was done by the Board of Trade to settle an argument as it was half way between the two extremes.

There is far more "Irish gauge" track in Brazil (allegedly due to second hand Irish engines) and bits of Australia (cause of Irish engineers) than Ireland!

But yes, the wider gauge does actually provide a better ride on identical condition track than 4'8.5".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

All this talk of gauge has me curious. So there are two types in Ireland?

one for the trains (intercity,dart etc) and then there is a seond one for the luas yea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

There were many different gauges on the island of Ireland at one time but today the lines operated by CIE/IE and Translink/NIR are all 5ft 3inch gauge. At one time there were quite a number of narrow gauge (3ft) passenger lines but the last of these - the West Clare Railway - closed down in 1961. Today the only serious user of the 3ft gauge is Bord na Mona, who have almost 1,000 miles of permanent and temporary track for bringing peat from the bogs to briquette factories and ESB power stations.

Other industrial systems existed at many locations - Irish Steel at Haulbowline had a 4ft 8.5inch railway up until closure and the Guinness brewery at St.James Gate had an enormous internal rail system with both 1ft 10inch and 5ft 3" operations see here: http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/22/Guinness.htm

Anyway, that's enough of that - further dribbling on the subject should be researched at Irish Railway News at www.irishrailwaynews.com
    or at the 'fossils' (Irish Railway Record Society) at www.irrs.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

I remember that there was quite a debate over the RPA's decision to go for the 1435 mm gauge (standard) rater than 1600 mm (broad) gauge used on all railways at the time in Ireland. Maybe it was just a ploy to ensure that the DART and the Harcourt line could never be integrated in the future. To keep the LUAS separate from CIÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

I wonder what the reasoning behind the redesign for the luas. It has two extra articulated sections in it. Does this help capacity that much? We'll know when it's running I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

congo_90 wrote: »
    All this talk of gauge has me curious. So there are two types in Ireland?

one for the trains (intercity,dart etc) and then there is a seond one for the luas yea?

Ther are a few "off the shelf" tram systems at the standard european gauge, but none at the irish gauge.

Train are different fom trams in that they tend to be on buggies that can be re-gauged.
    I wonder what the reasoning behind the redesign for the luas. It has two extra articulated sections in it. Does this help capacity that much? We'll know when it's running I suppose

The extra sections were not availbe when the first lot of trams were ordered, so they were ordered without them and are now being extended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

sonyair wrote: »
    Theres always problems in this country

The laws of physics (i.e. reason 2) apply everywhere.

Advertisement