Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best Coffee in the City??

Options
  • 12-08-2009 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Who do u think sells the best coffee in cork city??
    What do u normally drink, ie- espresso, coffee, white coffee, latte etc.??
    What price do u pay?? Is it large or standard??

And while were on the subject who serves crap coffee??
    And does anyone still drink instant??
    And if you do, why??:D

I know its a lot of questions but i'm curious..

I for one really hate the coffee from O Briens. And I havent had an instant for about two years.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

For normal white coffee my favourite place is the Java Juice place across from the garda station. It has a different flavour... but i can't place what it is. I just love it! I think it's under 2 euro. Medium size cup.

Other then that theres the coffee place around the corner ther from Marks Models. Dunno what it's called. They do an iced mocha that IS the nicest drink in the entire world! Takes them a while to make it but it's worth it. I suppose Gloria Jeans has similer but it's not my side of the city, over priced and too ladee daa-ish for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Mr. Cotton for the best coffee. O'Briens in MP isn't bad either though.

I have a cup of instant every morning when I arrive in work. I like a cup of Kenco myself I must say....I ain't no coffee snob. Then again, maxwell house which my parents insist on makes me want to puke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

The best mocha without a doubt is from Starbucks in the airport (if that's classed as the city!).

Butlers on Oliver Plunkett and O' Briens do a decent one too.

Not too happy with Mr. Cotton's coffee though...

Agreed, as much as it sickens me to say it the Mocha in Starbucks is pretty Sh!t hot. Not at all cheap tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

BB's do a decent Mocha too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Nice places for coffee and what I get:

Coffee Pod (winthrop st) - Large latte €2.95
    Butlers (oliver plunkett st) - latte (they only do one size but is big enough) - €2.85 (I think) plus 1 free chocolate!

Bad places:
    Any O'briens
    Gloria Jeans, used to like it but now it is horrible and well over priced!
    McDonalds Coffee
    Any garage coffee
    BBs

I love coffee so I expect a decent, reasonably priced cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

kingtut wrote: »

Bad places:

Any garage coffee

Had to pick you up on this ;) Some of the Topaz garages do lovely coffee, some of them have great Guatemalan and Fair Trade cofee on sale, but then again you have to get it when it's relatively fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Had to pick you up on this ;) Some of the Topaz garages do lovely coffee, some of them have great Guatemalan and Fair Trade cofee on sale, but then again you have to get it when it's relatively fresh!

It is the topaz garages that I was refering to for the most part as I usually end up at a topaz garage. I am yet to get a nice cup of coffee from one of them but if you can tell me one that you have had a nice one in I'll defo give it a try :)

Regarding freshness, it should always be fresh, coffee should not be left sitting around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

The 'Coffee Quarter' across from the bus station, the staff are sound and helpful as well

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

Embarrassed to say it, but Starbucks. It way overpriced but the service is great and the orders are always perfect.

• Advertisement

The Topaz (Or select as I still call it) garage has top notch coffee. I treat myself if I'm on-time to work some days. -> which is once in a blue moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Jimmy1bob

Had two nice coffees this morning one in Fenn's Quay ( Mahers coffee) regular 2.20 and the other in the Raven 2.00 (Segafredo) both nice and strong with a good kick.
    I felt the Mahers coffee was a bit smoother though.

I like the fancy Iced-coffee's in Gloria Jeans, but agree that they are way over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Mr Cotton does a nice cappuccino in fairness (and he stops just outside the office!).
    Also, Coffee Station on Dennehy's Cross do a nice coffee but it's pricey for the amount you get but it's worth it if you get a window seat and enjoy watching the near traffic accidents, about 1 ever 3 minutes:D

We'd better not let the purists over at the Coffee & Tea forum hear us, they insist on the best coffee being the stuff they make at home (from freshly ground beans) and believe the stuff in cafe's is not up to scratch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mulabula

Its interesting to see what coffee is prefered by different people. Mahers coffee is roasted in Scotland, Topaz use bewleys, Mr Cotton uses Bewleys, Cafe Depeche use a Scotish Roaster, Coffee Station use Greenbean Coffee which is roasted in Dundalk, anyone using dutch masters is getting coffee from Italy six weeks old at least, Gloria Jeans get their coffee from down under so it must be six weeks old as well.
    Starbuck muck comes from the states.....
    The thing about coffee is that it must be freshly roasted ( under two weeks is fine) and the barista must know what they are doing.
    In these days of cutbacks ect it would be nice to support those companies that roast in Ireland. Bewleys - Java Republic - Greenbean and Cork Coffee Roasters.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Topaz service station on the Kinsale Rd roundabout, best ive ever had...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Jimmy1bob

mulabula wrote: »
    In these days of cutbacks ect it would be nice to support those companies that roast in Ireland. Bewleys - Java Republic - Greenbean and Cork Coffee Roasters.
    :)

Well said.. Its definately time to get more supportive of local and family owned business's. That should go for everything not just coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Fabio

Dead right...plus if the flavour is right due to the right frshness then there's no reason to not support Irish roasted coffee!

Fabio wrote: »
    Dead right...plus if the flavour is right due to the right frshness then there's no reason to not support Irish roasted coffee!

Price may be a reason.

Jimmy1bob wrote: »
    Well said.. Its definately time to get more supportive of local and family owned business's. That should go for everything not just coffee.

when getting my ground coffee for the week I bought Bewleys, I'm doing my bit for the recession:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mulabula

Ludo wrote: »
    Price may be a reason.

Price cant be a reason. Its cheaper to ship green beans and roast them here. Less packaging less weight, less cost.
    Just because its Irish does not mean the price has to be higher.

• Advertisement

Price cant be a reason. Its cheaper to ship green beans and roast them here. Less packaging less weight, less cost.

don't worry, Ludo is just a tightarse!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Dunno the name but the place in the English Market do good coffee, lovely couple run it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Pris

I second the one in the English Market.

Is Cork Coffee Roasters the name of the one on Bridge Street? My Ma brought me there the last time I was home and it was the best coffee i've had anywhere, let alone Cork.

It shouldn't but unfortunately a lot of the timeit does. I don't know about coffee though in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 grunge_kid

i actually grind up the bean just before i head out every morning now!
    carry a big flask in my bag.

But if your going buying Beans anywhere ide say the best place ive found would be Gurmans. at number 2 on college road. they do a whole range of tea's and coffee,

ive tried places like gloria jeans, starbucks and o brians, for a quick cup
    but to be honest nothing compares to making it yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

I drink black coffee, I refuse to call it an Americano.

Best overall has to be the coffee place in the english market, €1.60 for a black coffee, regular cup size.

Butlers beside the GPO has good black coffees too, €2.50 (+ free chocolate) for a large sized coffee, they only have one size.

I tried cork coffee roasters a few times and I wasn't impressed at all. I generally just make my own at home really.

I don't drink other kinds of coffee so I can't comment on cappucino's, mocha's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Train station coffee might not sound promising but I think the AMT stall there is one of the best places in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Just tried Cork Coffee Roasters today. Very nice coffee and a nice little shop too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

With my new coffe maker, it's got to be my house as I can make it exactly how I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Sorry, I should have said coffee maker.

Advertisement