Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts Users' Buys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

basquille wrote: »
    Just subscribe to the thread and check when possible.. it's not like it's a "buzzing" thread!

I sort of see where you're coming from but sometimes people buy something they don't necessarily see as a Bargain Alert, or feel like posting. So they post their buys here.

Er, everything to date looks like a bargain alert to me......

Don't particularly want to have yet another subscription

just want a 'one-pager'....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

banchang wrote: »
    Er, everything to date looks like a bargain alert to me.
    I can see your point. I never liked it when bargain requests got split either, since it is 2 forums to browse. i.e. it doesn't really matter if somebody has requested it specificially, the title will say "Cheap key cutting" etc and you will know if it is worth looking at. Even if it is not a request you keep checking back since most of the time alternatives are posted which could be cheaper or suit you better. If there is a single reply in a request forum you know somebody has probably mentioned a place to go -but like this thread it might not be bargain of the century.

basquille has a good point, I never would have bothered posting my "bargain alerts" in this post in the main forum, I did not think they warranted the attention, and do not like seeing it cluttered with mediocre bargains. Perhaps people could add thanks to posts in this thread, and if it gets a certain amount of thanks it gets moved out by a mod to be a thread of its own in the main forum. But it could get messy if people have follow on replies in this thread which should really be in the main thread when moved.

Or it might be just better to let the posters decide themselves, if they see lots of thanks for a post then post it outside, like people giving the nod that it is "worthy". I did repost my "bacon bargain" in the main thread and it got some response, also people posted other places with even cheaper bacon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

rubadub wrote: »
    Dunno, I presume they should be OK. That site is very good and would not stock cheap crap. Also they are not "lightweight" like some are branded, which could be thinner. Note I said they are schraeder which is the same valve as on cars, many newer mountain bikes have "racer valves"/presta.

If punctures are a big issue you can get puncture restistant tyres, or you can get liners, I have these liners and they are really tough.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7970

I ordered those ten pack of tubes thinking they had a presta valve but they have a fat valve so i cant use them on my MTB. Not worth cost postage sending them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I ordered those ten pack of tubes thinking they had a presta valve but they have a fat valve so i cant use them on my MTB. Not worth cost postage sending them back.

I did warn twice about the valves! but you can use them all as resistance bands anyway. It would probably cost more to send them back, dunno how they can send them out for that price.

This isn't really a bargain alert as such, as the prices haven't been reduced (actually, i got them from Argos, so they probably cost more now than they did in the last catalogue) so I thought I'd just stick it in here anyway in case anyone cared.

About a week or two ago, I visited ye olde Argos and picked up a cheap ass MP3 player and a pair of headphones, and I'm pretty happy with them.

The MP3 Player cost €14 and the headphones cost €28 euro.

As I say, I know the prices aren't exactly amazing, but I think the products are pretty damn good. I bought them for general day-to-day use, but they're absolutely excellent for cycling and gym use.

The MP3 Player is a chunky, simple design, with just one big button on the front for skipping tracks and altering volume, so there's little to no fiddling around with it or having to take it out of your pocket to use it. You can just feel out the button and mash it 'til it works. Very handy. It comes with a lanyard to wear it around your neck, which is handy, but it's not something I'd use myself, personally, unless I had to. My brother goes to the gym a fair bit and has the same MP3 Player, and he finds the lanyard useful as he has no pockets in the gym. One other thing I like is how tight the headphone socket is. You can literally swing the MP3 player around in the air by the headphone cord and it wont come out. Handy, because it's a pain in the ass when the headphone jack slips out of the MP3 player (happened on an old MP3 player of mine). There's no screen on it though (what do you expect for €14?!)

The headphones seem brilliant to me. I'm no audiophile, but I think the sound is great from them. They are fairly bassy, which is something that surprised me. They havy a rubber grip that sits in your ear, and they sit around the back of your head and behind your ears, so it's practically impossible for them to come off your head. They can be a little sore when you first start wearing them, but once you use them two or three times you get used to them and they no longer hurt. The wire on them is quite short, and is perfectly suited to sticking your MP3 player in the chest pocket of a shirt, or if you use the abov ementioned lanyard, but they come with an 'extension' wire so you can put an MP3 player in your pants pocket (which I do when at the gym). The 'extension' cable is just another male-female 3.5mm jack lead, but its tough to break accidentally.

Also, I don't know if this is credited to the MP3 player or the headphones, but you can get a really high volume from them, too, to drown out the noise of your surroundings, though if you go too loud, the headphones may start to pierce a bit.

Again, as I say, not exactly a bargain alert, but thought I'd fire it in here anyway. No harm in it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm over in Edinburgh at the moment, my girlfriend is moving over for college in a few weeks and we're just here sorting out what she needs for her room and stuff. A few things that particularly stood out as bargain alerts:

Desk - Ikea - £13

Light (in white) - Ikea - 50p

Chair - Asda - £20

Double Duvet Cover - Ikea - £3.99

10.5 Tog Double Duvet & 2 pillow set - Asda - £7 (also single is same price, She didnt get this as she wanted a feather duvet :rolleyes: )

attachment.php?attachmentid=89505&stc=1&d=1251757002
    (a different Duvet cover)

Plenty of bargains in the above if you ask me!

Hopefully the trip will throw up a few more bargains, ones i might be interested in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry lads.. it's been almost two weeks since something was last posted.

Gonna unsticky this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭aranrn

Oh and I ordered a 3 month subscription to the economist for about 24 euro (student price, they don't verify student credentials) also can say no after receiving four episodes and get money back.

Also, unless you're actually a student this is technically fraud. I don't think Boards should be used as an aid to criminal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

aranrn wrote: »
    Also, unless you're actually a student this is technically fraud. I don't think Boards should be used as an aid to criminal activity.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

In applegreen stations, they have 500ml coke or diet coke 2 bottles for €2. Beats €1.60 each.

Also have 2 bags of tayto crips for 99cent. Chease and onion, salt and vinegar, johnny onion rings and i think one more to choose from.

Good deal if you got the munchies

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    In applegreen stations, they have 500ml coke or diet coke 2 bottles for €2. Beats €1.60 each.

Also have 2 bags of tayto crips for 99cent. Chease and onion, salt and vinegar, johnny onion rings and i think one more to choose from.

Good deal if you got the munchies

Similar in Essos (well rathmines anyway) Club orange 500ml 99c and club energise 2 for 2. Always a bin there with 2 for 1 chocolate and crisps as well. Not sure if its out of date stuff or not though. Rolls are a rip off in their though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Similar in Essos (well rathmines anyway) Club orange 500ml 99c and club energise 2 for 2. Always a bin there with 2 for 1 chocolate and crisps as well. Not sure if its out of date stuff or not though. Rolls are a rip off in their though

Its in all applegreens around the country, i have seen it in a few. Dont think its a problem with dates or anything like that.

Esso is defo the worst for rolls and the likes. 'One the run' away if you will :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I like the idea of having a thread which points out great value prices in grocery, electronics etc but are not offers(temporary). The problem is that the thread will get too long with many posts. If all the good stuff could be maintained in the OP, then it would be dead easy to see it all in one go. And each category would be kept together.

The problem is that someone will need to maintain it :(

For instance bargains I regularly get are (I'll estimate the price as I can't remember as I'm knackered from my youngest up half the night)
    Cranberry in Lidl (same juice content as Ocean Spray) 1.19
    Noodles in Tescos (ingredients are decent and taste good) 20c
    Cans of value corn in Tescos 45c
    Cans of Kidney Beans in Tescos 20c
    Cans of Veg/Lentil/Scotch Broth Soup in Tesco(decent ingredients) 34c
    Aldi sultanas 500g bag 99c

I have loads more but have to head. But can add more another time.

Tesco orange and apple juice not from concenrate (smooth or bits) 1l - €1.50 Tropicana 2.20

Frozen fruit around €1.50 a bag

500ml onkel low fat youghurt - buy one get one free at €1.50

Good deals if your making smoothies

Yeah just a single big list of grocery type things would be pretty handy

Just a bump for this.

Bought a TomTom ONE Classic (V3) with UK & Irish Maps for €75 in my local Currys. Box was very slighty damaged and was in clearance area, as it's been discontinued.

Great deal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I got a job, so went a bit crazy this week,
    I bought this 42 inch tv http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166541
    R0166541-01.jpg

I bought these prints from threadless.com for ten dollars each
    1485-view1.jpg
    Wingtips_Print
    1432-view1.jpg

as well as these t-shirts for 10 dollars each
    65005.jpg
    view1.jpg
    minizoom.jpg
    and a few others I can't find right now

this 104W.jpg in 100ml from fragrancex.com for 38 dollars.

this was as well as a shop of luxury goods on tesco delivery online, and ordering sky digital, bring on next weeks paycheck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I got a job, so went a bit crazy this week,
    I bought this 42 inch tv http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166541
    R0166541-01.jpg

I bought these prints from threadless.com for ten dollars each
    1485-view1.jpg
    Wingtips_Print
    1432-view1.jpg

as well as these t-shirts for 10 dollars each
    65005.jpg
    view1.jpg
    minizoom.jpg
    and a few others I can't find right now

this 104W.jpg in 100ml from fragrancex.com for 38 dollars.

this was as well as a shop of luxury goods on tesco delivery online, and ordering sky digital, bring on next weeks paycheck :)

What if it is a monthly pay cheque :eek: ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

aranrn wrote: »
    He didn't say he is not a student, just said they didn't check if he is. Technically you are assuming and taking the risk of being wrong.
    I wonder anyway if The Economist would rather have a fake student subscriber or none at all. The business model of these publications is based mostly on advertisement income based on number of readers....
    Whether you assumption is right or not, to imply criminal activity sounds a bit extreme.

Yup I realise that this thread is old, but im pretty giddy!

I just ordered Dj hero for the Ps3 for ~€38 off amazon.de, and i must have literally just got it! As soon as i was finished I came here to post it, went to HUKD to get the link again and it was marked expired, and sure enough price has gone back to €130

Fingers crossed now :eek:

Actually Quick: some left here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I just ordered Dj hero for the Ps3 for ~€38 off amazon.de, and i must have literally just got it! As soon as i was finished I came here to post it, went to HUKD to get the link again and it was marked expired, and sure enough price has gone back to €130

w00t. I think I got it as well. Surely a missprice ?

[edit] ****, just realized this is for ps3. Well I suppose I can always sell it if they honor it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

How on earth did you find that ???

hotukdeals.com or HUKD for short

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

:(The first morning in about 6 years that I have a lie in until 12, I miss a bargain like this:( Not fair, I tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Just got a cancellation email
    Babelfish wrote:
    Good day, we have a message to your current order. The article ' DJ Hero Bundle' (ASIN B002GHB2YI) by us on the website erroneously with a wrong price one distinguished. Please excuse the write error! Therefore we painted the title from your order. We hope for your understanding - perhaps you were already surprised at the unusualness of this price. According to our AGB comes off the sales contract over a product always only with mailing that dispatch mail. We explain however the contestation to auxiliary way because of mistake. We will immediately update our catalog. You know the current conditions of your order at any time over ' My Konto' on our website call up (http://www.amazon.de). We thank for your understanding.

Just got a cancellation email
    That's a shame... bought it for about €95 from Sendit.com on release. Played it for about 2 hours.. good game but really not enough time for gaming right now.

Recent buys from myself:
    • Bionic Commando for the 360 for €4 (Littlewood's €15 voucher)
    • The Shield (Complete Seasons 1 - 7) for €48 delivered from HMV
    • Girlfriend bought me Band of Brothers on Blu-ray from HMV for €28, and The Inbetweeners (Season 1 and 2) for €15
    • Girlfriend also bought me Nespresso machine (Krups XN2001) from Amazon for about €100 delivered for my birthday (birthday not for a fortnight) but got it already! :D
    Gonna ease up on spending til after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Saturday, I got a Logik manual 1->3 HDMI switch box for €6.98 in Curry's Limerick. It is poor quality (physical clicky in buttons), and I have not tried it yet, but for that price I though why not... even though I don't really need it. I also got 50 TDK DVD+Rs for about €13 in Currys.

Also bought from deal-extreme a right-angle HDMI adapter for $4.45.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29364 This is useful for using the side HDMI sockets on many TVs without having cables stick out too much.

Ix.

:(

me too

BTW google translate seems to be better than babel fish
    Good day,

We have a message to your current order.

The article 'DJ Hero Bundle' (ASIN B002GHB2YI) was erroneously received by us on the website with an incorrect price.

Please excuse the typo!

Therefore, we have the title removed from your order. We hope for your understanding - maybe you are indeed surprised even himself on the unusual nature of this price.

According to our terms of purchase comes to a product ever before with sending the mail delivery. In the alternative, however, we declare the disputed grounds of error.

Our catalog, we will immediately update.

The current status of your order, you can always get through 'My Account' on our website (http://www.amazon.de).

Thank you for your understanding.

(This is an automatically sent e-mail. Please do not reply to this letter, as is the e-mail address only to send but not set up to receive e-mails.)

Kind Regards

At least mine wasnt "painted" from my order :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Ok I have bought ZERO christmas presents.

I imagine some of ye must be buying them online,
    go on post some suggestions, you know you want to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Not the cheapest one going but this would certainly be a good pressie for anyone who has lots of movies and an external hard-drive
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167205

Note they have lots of great things

Such as robot vaccum cleaners + wireless keyboards, just everything!

Advertisement