Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rationalist Society

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dubhghaillix

I'm sure the Nothing Specific Society wouldn't be too pleased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Casper89

Saw the poster in the SU! Very cool! Will look out for you guys on Socs Day!

Anyone see Dawkins on The Late Late last night? Thought he handled the questions, in front of a mostly religious audience, very well. And go on the Jimmy Carr.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kevinmcinerney

im so happy so happy someone actually saw one of the posters..little victory dance.....

Dawkins was clearly irritated by ryan asking the same old questions..nothing on evolution..Dawkins is truely truely a giant among men..what a ledge....

well done cosmic frog...there is a campaign...we should have an agnostic or atheist option....why not? maybe de facto athest is pushong our luck.....Why should we be 'not specified' when we prob make up a larger population than some of the other options that were prob available...

just saw it on youtube. Seemed Tubardy went out of his way to avoid the major topics like the Blasphemy legislation, the upcoming Darwin bio film, and barely spoke about TGSOE so that he could let the theologian in the audience try to justify his most bizarre of career choices.

• Advertisement

Meeting tuesday at six in smokies to talk Soc's Day Strategy, World Domination and this:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/elaine_morgan_says_we_evolved_from_aquatic_apes.html

And remember, Take nobody's word for anything :D

Skeptic society has 315 members....:confused::D...whoop whoop!.....well done everyone.....this is where it started......well actually it started with a bus with lots of alcohol but u know what i mean....

nullius in verba...:D

Special thanx to those who had time to help out at the table today..u know who u are..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I still think Atheism=been done tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

so why post?

2008-02-29.gif

/patpatpat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I still think Atheism=been done tbh.

By that logic, religion has been done for a far longer and more controversial time.

By that logic, religion has been done for a far longer and more controversial time.
    What I mean by this is all sense of genuine debate there is to be derived from it has been covered,and surely atheism and religion should ignore each other.

What I mean by this is all sense of genuine debate there is to be derived from it has been covered,and surely atheism and religion should ignore each other.

No. Atheists will never ever give up.

...until we get our own cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

In France, cathedrals are owned by the State.

No. Atheists will never ever give up.

...until we get our own cathedral.
    Does that not defeat the point of atheism.

Does that not defeat the point of atheism.

How so? A cathedral is just a building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

How so? A cathedral is just a building.

Is it?

It seems a typical response from someone who would generally see no value in it. However, a cathedral has the specific purpose of worship and glorifying of God.

If one wants a cathedral, it doesn't seem very consistent with atheism if the entire purpose of it is to glorify and serve God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Atheists already have cathedrals, they're just called universities and libraries, minus the zombies and general craziness.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Atheists already have cathedrals, they're just called universities and libraries, minus the zombies and general craziness.

This assumes that Christians, Jews, Muslims, and people of numerous different faiths do not attend universities. I.E Atheists do not have a monopoly on libraries and universities. Nor do they have a monopoly on science, or on education.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Yes, we atheists are far too tolerant and accepting of other opinions and beliefs for our own good, if we had any sense, we would gather up all the religious, question them before an audience and then burn them at the stake.

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mrwzc/Lost_Souls_of_Ireland/

The Catholic Church: Evoking the desire to both vomit and kill since 325AD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00mrwzc/Lost_Souls_of_Ireland/

The Catholic Church: Evoking the desire to both vomit and kill since 325AD.

The same could be argued about state atheism if you have read the thread until this point.

Having a state tied in so closely to a faith so sickeningly tainted in controversy and hypocrisy is something I'm embarassed of.

And Dubhghaillix, that's iPlayer, there's no way I can watch it (besides through a proxy at approx. 9kbps...

TheCosmicFrog: Is it though? I don't see it as being so, but then again, I'm not a member of the Catholic Church and never have been. I have seen it more a matter of peoples faith and observance rather than dictating laws in the last few years. The obvious exception being the new law concerning the sale of mass cards.

Surely you can't agree with this law?

No I don't agree with this law. I don't see why churches cannot deal with their own internal matters themselves. Considering that all the other religious groups in Ireland manage to do this, it should be expected that the Catholic Church do the same.

It's BBC Radio iPlayer, no video, sure give it a try, It worked on the College computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 snarf_sarah

I wanna join this society but cant find a link to it on NUIG's societies home page. Any info on how I can join?

I wanna join this society but cant find a link to it on NUIG's societies home page. Any info on how I can join?

I'm sure Dubhghaillix will see your post and he'll contact you :)

In fact, I'm absolutely positive. :cool:

• Advertisement

You'd be right :D<3

Advertisement