Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring your own = Drink your own?

Options
  • 08-08-2009 6:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

I was at a party last night and it was a bring your own drink thing. I bought some beer before I got there and arrived at the party. Everyone else had seemed to bring drink too be it wine, beer or spirits. So the party is well under way and I'm chatting with some people in the kitchen and I see a guy open the fridge and take out one of my beers (I know this because I was the only one who had brought this particular brand of beer). I didn't know the guy and I figured I had brought enough beer to spare one or two so didn't say anything. After that I saw the same guy drinking it again and at one stage taking one and giving another to a mate of his. I had brought more then enough to last me the night with a few to spare but not enough for 3 people so unsurprisingly before too long there was none left. A mate had brought a big bottle of vodka and some cola so I drank that with him the rest of the night.

Am I wrong in thinking that if you go to a party where its bring your own you drink your own as well? I mean I brought that because I like it and wanted to drink it not so that guy could have a cheap night on me. I dont know if Im just being uptight but I wouldn't take someone else's beer would you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What were you thinking not saying anything?

The lad was a douche but you let him do it.

Its your drink you do what you want with it. If you want to swap with someone thats yours and their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

No i wouldnt take someones elses drink but i would have said it to him the first time he took it. I would not have let that go on all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Well I didnt really know that many people at the party and he was the only one I saw taking the drink I brought but I didnt know if it was only him. Anyway by the time I realised how much had gone it was kind of too late

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

blahhhhh im drunk blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Doc wrote: »
    Well I didnt really know that many people at the party and he was the only one I saw taking the drink I brought but I didnt know if it was only him. Anyway by the time I realised how much had gone it was kind of too late
    Lame! I would have told him to enjoy that drink coz its the last one of those beers he'll be having in a joking manner. It would have gotten the point across.

• Advertisement

Kiera wrote: »
    Lame! I would have told him to enjoy that drink coz its the last one of those beers he'll be having in a joking manner. It would have gotten the point across.
    I would have asked the Lad where he bought them, and watched the dumbfounded look on his face tbh.

Overheal wrote: »
    I would have asked the Lad where he bought them, and watched the dumbfounded look on his face tbh.
    I think telling him straight out that they arent for sharing would do the trick better. Wheres your balls people??

Im nicer than that. But then again, youre asking me sober. Can you ask me again tomorrow? I found some Coronas in my fridge I plan on pounding.

Nope. If you need drink in you to stand up for yourself then you should go look for those balls you've lost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

I would have asked him 'what the craic-mac, would ya like one of my beer'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

You're fault mate ya should have said something!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Was at this party last night ,i went to the fridge and some cheap fecker put Dutch Gold in there,so i said fcuk it lets drink this crap so myself and the lads drank it till it was gone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Doc wrote: »
    I didn't know the guy and I figured I had brought enough beer to spare one or two so didn't say anything.

Eh? That was an invite to a fanciful duel of some sort. Touch my beer will you. Remove white glove, *Slap*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In Ireland you generally drink what you bring yourself, in any other country I've been to/lived in, all drinks are given to the host and become communal property of the guests. They guy may genuinely not have been aware of the Irish custom or could genuinely have been a prick.

edit: I've never been to a party in the UK before anyone 'corrects' me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its bring your own .....and share and share a like......me thinks????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

you should have walked up to him and said, "seen as i bought you a drink honey, your sleeping with me tonight" with a wink and a nudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Here (Berlin), all alcohol at a party is considered there for the taking, which I found out the hard way before. But then I've been to a bunch of house parties where the host fills the bath with beer bottles for the guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

I would off bent him over and inserted one of the empty bottle's he drank on me im pretty sure he would get the idea of not stealing my drink:eek::eek:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I had a very similar experience at a party with a German guy stealing my beer.
    The first bottle he took I frowned but said nothing.
    The second bottle, I had a word with my friend - the host of the party - who made some lighthearted remark to him which didn't do the trick.
    When he went to the fridge and reached for the third bottle, I threw a wobbler and had words with him myself - I think I said something along the lines of "keep the fu.ck away from my drink you fu.cking parasite" - he got the point then.

What was even more annoying was the fact that this bum had come to the party empty handed, whereas I, being the good guest, had not only brought beer for myself, but also several bottles of wine "for the house".

I was happy enough for a couple of other lads at the party to have a few bottles, given that they did bring their own supply but had simply run out, and actually had the manners to ask.

So, in conclusion, perhaps in other cultures it is deemed acceptable to take from another persons stash. However, if he was Irish he definitely should have known better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Samson wrote: »
    If he was Irish he should have known better.
    However, I had a very similar experience at a party with a German guy stealing my beer.
    The first bottle he took I frowned but said nothing.
    The second bottle I had a word with my friend, the host of the party, who made some lighthearted remark to him which didn't do the trick.
    The third bottle I threw a wobbler and had words with him myself - I think I said something along the lines of "keep the fu.ck away from my drink you fu.cking parasite" - he got the point then.

What was even more annoying was the fact that this bum had come to the party empty handed, whereas I, being the good guest, had not only brought beer for myself, but also several bottles of wine "for the house".

Read my post above...it's normal for people to just take beer from the fridge in other countries, because at house parties abroad the host usually buys a load of booze for the guests. If you went to a house party at his place you'd be besotted by him and his bath full of beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I was at a party in a flat in Rathmines and this lanky streak of pish kept helping himself and his buddies to my drink, so I set a fire extinguisher off in his face. It was a powder one and I ended up clearing the party as no-one could breathe but I laughed so hard that I burst blood vessels in my face. So worth it...

Anyways - bring your own, share an odd bottle but if some greedy tool is playing wiseguys, get technical on his ass...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

The same has happened to me before OP except i never found out who the thief was. Nowadays I hide my cans under the sofa or somewhere more inventive. Sure, the beers won't be ice cold but at least they'll be mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The best cure for him would have been to piss in one of the empty bottles put it back in the fridge and when he would take a swig from that bottle it would have quenched his thirst for the rest of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

this problem could easily be solved by the host stating that guests should bring their own Stella* , then if everyone's on Stella there's no reason to get upset over someone drinking another Stella and ye can all get on.

Uk perspective, bring drink, hand it over to host, forget about it, drink whatever takes your fancy from then on regardless of source. Spending a party covertly observing your beer being drunk by others would seem a waste of an evening tbh.

* insert any brand of your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Crazy, it's ALWAYS bring your own, drink your own.

I'd be pretty pissed if someone drank my actual beer instead of their normal piss in a can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 xSupernova91x

Nearly every situation in life there will be people out there trying to take advantage of you, stand up for yourself, nip it in the bud straight away and that will be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I didn't want the same thing happening to my cans so I left a note on each can saying, "I wiped my knob all over the lid of this can.", when I came back to get a second can there was another note saying, "So did I!!!" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

if im going to a party where i know most of the people i will bring some nice beer and share with everyone like for like. If i dont know many people bring bavaria of something else cheap so even if someone takes some it wont be a major hassle and there is always extra floating around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yeah i dont mind the odd can if they ask..
    but taking it and coming empty handed and not asking... thats not on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

at my house parties we all chip in 25 euro a person, head up the north and fill the van with beer, buy stuff for a bbq, hire a one man band. this 25 euro covers the whole cost. then its drink and eat till there is none left !!!! key is ya need about 25-30 people to chip in

Advertisement