Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"English Pigs" not welcome in Latvia - should we follow?

Options
13»

Comments

Nodin wrote: »
    This solution to the problem seems to get the message across, yet doesn't target all Brits.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/07/tourist-set-alight-crete-greece

Crete truly is an awful place. The locals have to be some of the most horrible, rude and out-to-rip-you-off creeps that I have ever encountered anywhere in the world. I went there on a 'Leaving Cert' holiday a few years ago and my God.

Everything from the security to the hospital staff I encountered (one of the lads fell off his moped) were out to get something off you.

For an island that seems to predominantly live off tourism, you'd think they'd be thanking their lucky stars that people even bothered going. The place practically shuts down for the winter I was told. I advise anyone that asks me about the place to never ever ever go anywhere near the dump.

Oh, and the place we were staying in actually robbed the towels from outside a mates room (they thought you left them outside when they were dirty) and knocked up about 5 minutes later to "change the towels" (didn't knock on any other doors). When he found that there was none he charged them some god awful amount like 20 euro per towel and said he would kick them out if they didn't pay.

The amount of stories I have like that from the holiday. Makes me shudder thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

netwhizkid wrote: »
    has just some scumbags, although on a per capita basis it may be less.

Stabbing each other round the swimming pool, puking in the swimming pool, pissing in the swimming pool and - the all time classic - shitting in the swimming pool (the last being an LC holiday, lads from a private school).

Attacking the staff, attacking each other....one shower (and this was going out of Cork or Shannon - can't remember which) robbed a 'ghetto blaster' (plus wire, plug) out of the duty free and were arrested before the plane left the tarmac.

Whinging - its too hot (about season averages in Cyprus and Crete) - 'They have toes like monkeys' referring to Egyptians - 'too many black people' - that was Jamaica (true story - she thought the natives were kept outside and away from the white folk), 'too many young women topless round the pool'/'too many women topless on the beaches'..

Few years back there was a classic that talked of going into a bar and it 'taking some time for the import of the overwhelmingly male crowd to sink in' and the horror of 'being approached' - said that the Brochure should contain a warning about the "overwhelmingly homosexual nature" of the clientelle of some of the smaller Greek Islands..recently there was a 'too many gays' one....that was Turkey.......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    yes, but they're very loud & cocky and they've got a "swagger" about them that really irks me:mad:

i just don't feel comfortable when they're around

brummytom wrote: »
    "They"? Surely a generalisation?

The majority of English people are absolutely sound (look at that study that showed the British to be the 'best' tourists around the world); but there's some idiots that go around giving us a bad reputation; doesn't mean we're all like that... it really irks me people forming their opinions of a whole nation from a few idiots.

when i said "they" i meant the type of british > mainly english that come to temple bar every weekend, and i'm sorry to say but the majority of them are assh*les

you see the english come in two extremes, they're either ...very nice:) or very nasty:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

English Pigs not welcome in Latvia...Should we follow?

I dont think we are in a position at the moment to vet who comes to Ireland to spend money that we desperately need .
    A few years ago! maybe.
    At the minute they should all be welcome especially considering their attitude wouldn't be so much different from what occurs on an average Friday night in most Irish towns really.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

North side Dublin, bad parts of Limerick stags behave far worse in Europe IMHO.

You follow them around and ask them where they're form do you? And they don't mind when you inquire as to which side of the Liffey they live on? Wow, you must be as affable as Louis Theroux!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Every country has its yobs, therefore if English stag parties are to be banned, all stag parties should be banned and I really can't see how that could be enforced. People who behave like twats when they've had too much alcohol can be perfectly reasonable human beings when sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If we ban English "pigs" as they have been mentioned in the thread title, this can only be happen if irish pigs are banned from travelling abroad.

I have witnessed many embarrassing and unfortunate experiences with Irish people abroad too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Dudess wrote: »
    Every country has its yobs, therefore if English stag parties are to be banned, all stag parties should be banned and I really can't see how that could be enforced.

OK, well the Latvian people mentioned specifically the English stag parties and the incident in Greece recently also speicifically highlights the behaviour of the English.

It's nice and conciliatory and ecumenical of you to want to stop all the fun for everyone but the evidence is in that there is a problem with parties specifically from one country, England.

I see how they behave on the piss in their own country, it's really **** and it's not chavs either, it's the mainstream young working people letting off steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Seriously, should we ban pork products like for example English Pigs because of the Swine Flu?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I was in Pague just before it became the target for stag parties. I remember sitting at a table with my girlfriend at the timedrinking coffee and soaking up the atmosphere of what is a fantastic city.. and then in the distance it comes.. the chants.. getting closer.. "who ar ya! who ar ya!"

Ive no problem with English people in the slightest.. just the moronic loudmouth ones... they tend to be from east london

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OK, well the Latvian people mentioned specifically the English stag parties and the incident in Greece recently also speicifically highlights the behaviour of the English.
    And an incident in Greece involving Irish yobs would "highlight the behaviour of the Irish" - I don't see a logic.
    It's nice and conciliatory and ecumenical of you to want to stop all the fun for everyone
    Except I don't "want to stop all the fun for everyone" - please don't twist my words. I'm not disagreeing there is a lot of trouble caused by certain English stag parties but there is trouble caused by stag parties from other countries also, as well as stag parties from England that aren't troublesome, so, based on the above, it would be dreadfully discriminatory to target English stag parties solely. And where does one draw the line? Is it just stag parties or is it every type of sojourn involving English people?
    I see how they behave on the piss in their own country, it's really **** and it's not chavs either, it's the mainstream young working people letting off steam.
    Similar to Ireland. And Scotland, Wales, Poland, Spain... Granted, I'd be very surprised if Germans behaved like yobs abroad - but that doesn't mean none of them would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Wheely wrote: »
    You follow them around and ask them where they're form do you? And they don't mind when you inquire as to which side of the Liffey they live on? Wow, you must be as affable as Louis Theroux!

I don't live in Dublin, culchie from Clare, sorry if I don't know the ins and outs of the scumbag areas but in the city centre, Dublin 1 and 2, I learned not to venture above the river and to stick to the south.

Some of the creatures I see when I head to Croke park should be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

As Irish we don't tend to have problems as we never get drunk and would never do anything as disgsuting as getting sick in the street or pissing in public and of course we don't tend to sing in the streets like those nasty English people do. The Gardai are very lucky in Ireland in that they don't have the problems of dealing with fighting drunks and ask any taxi driver and he will tell you how awfully well behaved we are at taxi ranks in the early hours of the morning. And of course A&E tends to be like a ghost town on weekends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ours are just as bad, if not worse.

They just arent..even the worst of them have a bit of respect for other countries when they're there...some of the brits i've seen treat other countries like subhman imbeciles to be insulted at every turn..culturally english behave appalingly abroad.

Degsy wrote: »
    They just arent..even the worst of them have a bit of respect for other countries when they're there...some of the brits i've seen treat other countries like subhman imbeciles to be insulted at every turn..culturally english behave appalingly abroad.

Never been to Santa Ponsa then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Never been to Santa Ponsa then?

Santa ponsa is not exactly the capital of some proud european country now is it?

Santa ponsa is not exactly the capital of some proud european country now is it?

Not the point though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

what an absolute load of ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

phasers wrote: »
    No, they bring money into the country

money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money mmmmmmmmmmmmmoneyyyyyy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

I don't live in Dublin, culchie from Clare, sorry if I don't know the ins and outs of the scumbag areas but in the city centre, Dublin 1 and 2, I learned not to venture above the river and to stick to the south.

Some of the creatures I see when I head to Croke park should be put down.

You were the one who mentioned north-side dublin. Obviously my sarcasm was lost on you there but given your response I'm not surprised. I'd say a lot gets lost on you.

I presume the creatures you refer to are actually human beings right? And they should be "put down"? Ah well you're a lovely little chap altogether aren't you!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I've seen Irish behave like animals abroad, and I've been turned away from a hostel in New York because of what some Irish guests did to the place a few days before I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

K-Ren wrote: »
    Well, at least our stag parties don't last 800 years.:)

i went on one in Leitrim and it sure as hell felt like it did.

It's nice and conciliatory and ecumenical of you to want to stop all the fun for everyone but the evidence is in that there is a problem with parties specifically from one country, England.

lost passport? in prison? skint?

if you are that desperate to leave, I'm sure we can have a whip round and sort out a ticket for you.

Advertisement