Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Exam Results

Options
  • 07-08-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows when the results come out for the repeat exams? I have my timetable and just want to get them over with now at this stage.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shaner88

They are usually out the first Monday when everyone is back to college. (the 7th i think?)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lulu90

Thanks for the reply. They seem to cut things a bit too fine for my liking though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DozeyRozey

Instead of making a new thread, I'll just ask this here... does anyone know if the minimum grade you have to get to pass a repeat is a C3?
    or would a D1 be ok?

I'm sure this is in the handbook somewhere, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

DozeyRozey wrote: »
    Instead of making a new thread, I'll just ask this here... does anyone know if the minimum grade you have to get to pass a repeat is a C3?
    or would a D1 be ok?

I'm sure this is in the handbook somewhere, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

It depends, if you get a D1 it's called a complimentary fail (or pass not sure). For example if you get a D1 and your QCA for that session is 2.00 or over you will be grand, but if you get a D1 and your QCA for that session is below 2.00 you will not be allowed to progress, until/unless you repeat.

Hope that helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

or would a D1 be ok?

Repeat exams are capped at a C3, so even if you get 100% in the repeat, you will only get a C3.
    You will pass as long as you get at least a D2 and your QCA is above 2.0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 starfish1

ok so if you only get a C3 for an A1 in the actual exam, does this mean if you get a D2 for example in the exam, you have actually failed?My qca is above 2.0 already i just need to pass this but i'm a tad worried about it...

this feckin grading scheme confuses me big time!

starfish1 wrote: »
    ok so if you only get a C3 for an A1 in the actual exam, does this mean if you get a D2 for example in the exam, you have actually failed?My qca is above 2.0 already i just need to pass this but i'm a tad worried about it...

this feckin grading scheme confuses me big time!

It is quite confusing alright. Nothing unusual there with UL though. :rolleyes:

Afaik, as long as you get a passing grade you will pass. Everything above a C3 will result in a C3, and everything below it is given as it is.
    I mean, if you get a D2 = D2, D1 = D1, C3 = C3 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 starfish1

ah i see great thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shaner88

Yup, once ur QCA is above 2.0 and you dont have any F's or N.G.'s, you'll pass!

FYI, you can check what grade you *actually* got for the repeat on SI now by clicking into the module code beside the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

does anyone know if labs and midterm results count in the repeats like if u got a C3 in the repeat can u be marked down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

I think that's a decision for the lecturer, not 100% sure tho

Check the past repeat exam papers to see the percentage that the paper is worth

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

Hey!

Some of you guys in here really seem to understand QCA better than I do so I have a question!

I have to repeat two modules from Sem 1.

So my QCA unforch for that is 1.20

Sem 2 QCA - 2.55

Then QCA TO DATE is 1.88 = I assume this is Sem1 & 2 averaged out!?

I have roughly worked it out that if I only got two D2's along with the C3 & B3 I got for Semester one I would be 0.02 SHORT of a 2.00 QCA!?

Is this correct!?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Assuming there are eight exams in all (four in each term) including the two you have to repeat, getting 2*D2 in those two exams would give you a first year QCA of 2.18 after the repeat exams (well, 2.175 to be precise but they only present it to two decimal places).

I have one more question:o

These are my results for the year.
    Semester 1- B3, C3, C3, NG, F
    Semester 2- B2, C2, A1, F, F

So I am repeating 4 :rolleyes:. I'll definitely get the C3 in two of the modules. However, I'm very worried about the other 2.

My estimated results are: C3, C3, D2, D2.

So with the following results: B3, C3, C3, C3, D2. B2, C2, A1, D2, C3...... would this be ok to progress?

My accumulated QCA for semester 1 is 1.36, and for semester 2 it is 1.62. My residual QCA after semester 2 is 2.42 ... if that helps?? :confused:

I am panicking a bit becuase I thought that D grades weren't acceptable in repeat exams, and that a C3 was necessary?! :confused:

I have one more question:o

These are my results for the year.
    Semester 1- B3, C3, C3, NG, F
    Semester 2- B2, C2, A1, F, F

So I am repeating 4 :rolleyes:. I'll definitely get the C3 in two of the modules. However, I'm very worried about the other 2.

My estimated results are: C3, C3, D2, D2.

So with the following results: B3, C3, C3, C3, D2. B2, C2, A1, D2, C3...... would this be ok to progress?

My accumulated QCA for semester 1 is 1.36, and for semester 2 it is 1.62. My residual QCA after semester 2 is 2.42 ... if that helps?? :confused:

I am panicking a bit becuase I thought that D grades weren't acceptable in repeat exams, and that a C3 was necessary?! :confused:

You can get all the D's you want, but as long as your overall QCA is 2.00 or over you will be fine, and that goes for the main exams AND THE REPEATS. However if it falls below this mark, after you have done the repeats, I think you have to repeat the year or semester.

But the main thing is (and I know it's an old cliche) Don't Panc just do what you can, because there is nothing else you can do, but your best. I know it's easy say, but keeping calm is half the battle.

sceptre wrote: »
    Assuming there are eight exams in all (four in each term) including the two you have to repeat, getting 2*D2 in those two exams would give you a first year QCA of 2.18 after the repeat exams (well, 2.175 to be precise but they only present it to two decimal places).

Okay I tried to do it out and with two D2's I only got a QCA of 1.99 for Ist semester! :(

Im confused! ???

Okay I tried to do it out and with two D2's I only got a QCA of 1.99 for Ist semester! :(

Im confused! ???

Maybe it's not you, could be me. Incidentally, your cumulative QCA needs to be 2.00 or over with no deficient grades, you could have 4 D2s from semester 1 and 4 B3s from semester 2 and you'd still pass through (with a QCA of precisely 2 as it happens). I didn't get 1.99 as your QCA for term 1 though, you shouldn't have either.

My assumptions:

I've assumed that you've had four exams per term

Your grades for term 1 were a C3, a B3, an F and an F (I assumed 4 exams here as with a C3 and B3, nothing but 4 exams can give you a QCA of 1.2 if all the rest are Fs). I'm assuming there are two Fs as that's what you said.

Your grades for term 2 you didn't give but your average for term 2 was 2.55

So:

Calculation version 1 with two D2s:

Term 1: 2.0 (C3) + 2.8 (B3) + 1.2 (D2) + 1.2 (D2) = 7.2 -> 7.2/4 = 1.8
    Term 2: 2.55 (supplied)
    Average ((T1+T2)/2) = (1.8+2.55)/2 = 2.175

Calculation version 2 with two D2s:
    Term 1: 2.0 (C3) + 2.8 (B3) + 1.2 (D2) + 1.2 (D2) = 7.2
    Term 2: 2.55 (supplied). Multiply by 4 as 2.55 is your average over 4 exams -> 10.2
    (10.2+7.2)/8 = 2.175

Both methods are the same really, it's just you'd use the second instead of the first if all module weightings were equal with a different number of modules per term (where module weightings are different you have to allow for that but I'm assuming all of yours are the same)

Unless I'm missing something odd, I can't make any number other than 2.18. Am I missing something odd?

Maybe it's not you, could be me. Incidentally, your cumulative QCA needs to be 2.00 or over with no deficient grades, you could have 4 D2s from semester 1 and 4 B3s from semester 2 and you'd still pass through (with a QCA of precisely 2 as it happens). I didn't get 1.99 as your QCA for term 1 though, you shouldn't have either.

My assumptions:

I've assumed that you've had four exams per term

Your grades for term 1 were a C3, a B3, an F and an F (I assumed 4 exams here as with a C3 and B3, nothing but 4 exams can give you a QCA of 1.2 if all the rest are Fs). I'm assuming there are two Fs as that's what you said.

Your grades for term 2 you didn't give but your average for term 2 was 2.55

So:

Calculation version 1 with two D2s:

Term 1: 2.0 (C3) + 2.8 (B3) + 1.2 (D2) + 1.2 (D2) = 7.2 -> 7.2/4 = 1.8
    Term 2: 2.55 (supplied)
    Average ((T1+T2)/2) = (1.8+2.55)/2 = 2.175

Calculation version 2 with two D2s:
    Term 1: 2.0 (C3) + 2.8 (B3) + 1.2 (D2) + 1.2 (D2) = 7.2
    Term 2: 2.55 (supplied). Multiply by 4 as 2.55 is your average over 4 exams -> 10.2
    (10.2+7.2)/8 = 2.175

Both methods are the same really, it's just you'd use the second instead of the first if all module weightings were equal with a different number of modules per term (where module weightings are different you have to allow for that but I'm assuming all of yours are the same)

Unless I'm missing something odd, I can't make any number other than 2.18. Am I missing something odd?

Okay I used the sheet the SAA sent out and it shows that each module is worth THREE credits so the D2 is 1.2X3 and so on with the other three and then to get the QCA it says to divide the total number by the Cedited Hourse which in my case is 12!

Hence I get 1.99, and that's with one D2 and one D1

Im still confused tho

Do I have to have an Overall QCA of 2.00 with Semester one and two TOGETHER or have a QCA in BOTH semesters separately?

or would a 1.99 in one and the 2.55 in the other average it out!?

Your accumulative QCA has to be 2.0 for you to progress from one year to another.

Okay I used the sheet the SAA sent out and it shows that each module is worth THREE credits so the D2 is 1.2X3 and so on with the other three and then to get the QCA it says to divide the total number by the Cedited Hourse which in my case is 12!

Hence I get 1.99, and that's with one D2 and one D1
    Ah well now, of course you're going to get a different answer when you're asking about getting 2 D2s so that's what I'm working out but you're working it out yourself using a D2 and a D1 without mentioning that:)

(other than that, my workings are the same albeit with different figures - you're multiplying each number by 3 and then dividing the total by 12, I'm just dividing it by 4 as it's pointless multiplying by 3 and then dividing by 3. A D1 is worth 1.6, not the 1.2 a D2 is worth so your term 1 qca would then be 1.9 (2.0 (C3) + 2.8 (B3) + 1.6 (D1) + 1.2 (D2) = 7.6 -> 7.6/4 = 1.9)
    Im still confused tho

Do I have to have an Overall QCA of 2.00 with Semester one and two TOGETHER or have a QCA in BOTH semesters separately?

or would a 1.99 in one and the 2.55 in the other average it out!?
    As a few people have said it's your overall QCA (people have used "overall", "average" and "cumulative"). To make it as clear as possible, the progression line to next year for you is average QCA of 2.0 or over with no Fs. So back one page, getting 2 D2s is sufficient for you to go through to next year as that will result in no Fs and an average (or cumulative as that's the word the college uses) QCA of over 2.0, which is what you need. Or you could just get 2 C3s but the 2 D2s would be sufficient.

• Advertisement

To make it as clear as possible, the progression line to next year for you is average QCA of 2.0 or over with no Fs.....

Can you please tell me if this is right? (I'm trying to copy the method that you used with Twilight88's results, but I'm terrible at maths). I'm repeating 4 modules. Results:

(Semester 1) C3, C3, B3. F, NG = 2.0 + 2.0 + 2.8 + 0 +0=> 6.8
    (Semester 2) A1, B2, C2, F, F= 4 + 3 +2.4=> 9.4 ,

Expected repeat grades (semester 1 modules)=> C3, D1= 2.0 + 1.6= 3.6.
    3.6 + 6.8= 10.4/5= 2.08
    Expected repeat grades (semester 2modules)=> D1, D1,= 3.2.
    3.2 + 9.4= 12.6/5= 2.53

T1 + T2/2= 2.08 + 2.53/2= 2.30 = pass?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tones66

I have to sit 4 i graded exams. Does anyone know if i can repeat one of them if i fail it. Is it treated as a first attempt like the spring exams??

Can you please tell me if this is right? (I'm trying to copy the method that you used with Twilight88's results, but I'm terrible at maths). I'm repeating 4 modules. Results:

(Semester 1) C3, C3, B3. F, NG = 2.0 + 2.0 + 2.8 + 0 +0=> 6.8
    (Semester 2) A1, B2, C2, F, F= 4 + 3 +2.4=> 9.4 ,

Expected repeat grades (semester 1 modules)=> C3, D1= 2.0 + 1.6= 3.6.
    3.6 + 6.8= 10.4/5= 2.08
    Expected repeat grades (semester 2modules)=> D1, D1,= 3.2.
    3.2 + 9.4= 12.6/5= 2.53

T1 + T2/2= 2.08 + 2.53/2= 2.30 = pass?? :pac:
    Only given it the quick lookover but looks pretty spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 OcMc

I recieved a D1 in an exam and my qca is 1.9 can someone tell me whether i failed or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

OcMc wrote: »
    I recieved a D1 in an exam and my qca is 1.9 can someone tell me whether i failed or not?

Yes you have failed this semester. However, if you get 2.1 qca next semester and no Fs you have passed the year and won't have to repeat any exams. Hope this helps?

OcMc wrote: »
    A D1 is a compensating fail, if your QCA was 2.0 or above you would not have had to repeat, unfortunately because your QCA is 1.9 you will have to repeat.

A D1 is a compensating fail, if your QCA was 2.0 or above you would not have had to repeat, unfortunately because your QCA is 1.9 you will have to repeat.

No thats not true.
    They wont have to repeat unless the accumulative QCA at the END of the year is below 2.0. If it still remains at 1.9, then they would have to repeat the module. The student still has the option of repeating a D1 grade in the hopes of raising their QCA a little bit more, but its not mandatory unless [as previously stated] the QCA is below 2.0 at the end of the year.

Mossin wrote: »
    No thats not true.
    They wont have to repeat unless the accumulative QCA at the END of the year is below 2.0. If it still remains at 1.9, then they would have to repeat the module. The student still has the option of repeating a D1 grade in the hopes of raising their QCA a little bit more, but its not mandatory unless [as previously stated] the QCA is below 2.0 at the end of the year.
    You are correct Mossin, I was getting a bit ahead there, it's only if your QCA is below 2.0 after the Summer results that you have to repeat something.

Apologies to the original poster...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coz112

Spectre92 wrote: »
    My question is this. Will I have to repeat the 2 compensating fails along with the F ? Or can I let them 2 slide and just pass the module I get the F grade in to progess to the next year.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

You'll only have to repeat the Exam which you got an F grade in!

Quick question, at the bottom of the exam sheet, my residual QCA is listed and it's above 2.0, so I can pass the year through repeats. It lists the one module I got an F in, and 3 D2s. Do I have to repeat the 3 D2s, or can I pick and choose which modules I repeat, as long as getting a C3 in each of them brings my QCA to 2.0 or above? Some of the D1s I've gotten, I feel I'd be much more able to get a C3 in those than my D2 modules.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Coz112 wrote: »
    You'll only have to repeat the Exam which you got an F grade in!

Quick question, at the bottom of the exam sheet, my residual QCA is listed and it's above 2.0, so I can pass the year through repeats. It lists the one module I got an F in, and 3 D2s. Do I have to repeat the 3 D2s, or can I pick and choose which modules I repeat, as long as getting a C3 in each of them brings my QCA to 2.0 or above? Some of the D1s I've gotten, I feel I'd be much more able to get a C3 in those than my D2 modules.

When you're selecting modules on the repeats portal, you'll be able to pick and choose your D modules. It'll calculate your residual for you when you've selected the module, so we'll say you select your F module (which you have to repeat) and one of the D2's, it'll tell you if that's enough to pass the year before you confirm it.

Advertisement