Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Irish Swine Flu Death

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Malty_T wrote: »
    Care, to show us the statistics then?

He's mixed up two different statistics, there. It's commonly done.

Detailed discussion is welcome on the bio+med forum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I don't understand why people are so het up about swine flu, it is highly contagious yes but people die every year from regular flu and nobody bats an eyelid! We can't stop it but losing sleep unnecessarily will not help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Hola_Bola

I believe I had swine flu in May. It just came on me one night and the next morning I woke up in a heap. The same feeling you get after a night of heavy drinking. I couldn't go back to sleep because the pure pain from all over my body made me contemplate ending it all (not really, but it was severe pain).

I could not eat, I could not drink, every time I moved I felt like a knife being plunged into my very soul. I felt disorientated and anxiety panics. I finally went to the hospital but because I had a different medical problem at the time, I was told I had a serious virus. However, to this day, I swear I had Swine Flu. It lasted 3/4 days and went. I feel great now but I know how bad it can get. It's hell, I assure you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 FallingDown

I don't understand why people are so het up about swine flu, it is highly contagious yes but people die every year from regular flu and nobody bats an eyelid! We can't stop it but losing sleep unnecessarily will not help!

I take it nobody in your family has cystic fibrosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

i wonder does this add anything to story of cystic fibrosis sufferers in ireland

What do you mean by that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Some silly cow came into my workplace today announcing she had the flu. How stupid and irresponsible can you get? Stay at home if you have the bloody flu and stop spreading it like an idiot. :mad: I practically drank a bottle of dettol after dealing with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

tallaght01 wrote: »
    It's affecting people with underlying disease particularly badly. ut don't get too complacent...this includes people with common illnesses such as asthma and diabetes.

*gulp*:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

This thread is titled 'First Irish Swine Flu Death' and nobody has posted her name as far as I can see.
    Her name was Darina Calpin,a girl who just celebrated her 18th birthday and was waiting for her leaving cert results on Wednesday.
    RIP Darina.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I have some sort of Flu now the last 2 days.

So far it is like every other achey, snotty, shivvery flu I've had, except with more farting, and less fever. Sweating absolute buckets too.

My mum has it too. She's convinced it's the piggy bug because she said she's never gotten flu in August before.

Anyway, does anyone know what kinda estimates there are for the amount of SF cases in Ireland so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭oisinmc14

Can you get Swine Flu while u have Regular Flu?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

CF is a different case, GG is herself pregnant so obv has her own concerns. I don't see the big deal myself unless of course someone has another illness, in general though it's not as big as people like to make out. Any bit of drama and people just get carried away. It's terribly sad that poor girl died and I feel for her family but I don't think all this talk of schools closed and the country coming to a standstill help anybody really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

tallaght01 wrote: »
    He's mixed up two different statistics, there.

Where?

Hola_Bola wrote: »
    I believe I had swine flu in May. It just came on me one night and the next morning I woke up in a heap. The same feeling you get after a night of heavy drinking. I couldn't go back to sleep because the pure pain from all over my body made me contemplate ending it all (not really, but it was severe pain).

I could not eat, I could not drink, every time I moved I felt like a knife being plunged into my very soul. I felt disorientated and anxiety panics. I finally went to the hospital but because I had a different medical problem at the time, I was told I had a serious virus. However, to this day, I swear I had Swine Flu. It lasted 3/4 days and went. I feel great now but I know how bad it can get. It's hell, I assure you.

It could have been the flu or any other viral infection...

It's quite unlikely it was swine flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ruthy1234

www.swineflu.ie answers a few questions about it.... I'm so worried about the schools re-opening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I heard you can't get swine flu if you're on your period or if you do it standing up or if he puts vinegar on his thing before he puts it in you.

That's what I heard from the year 4 girls who were smoking in the bathroom at lunchtime anyway. It's probably true because Jacinta Mullarkey was there and her brother got, like, 600 points in his leaving last year so they're all soooo smart and all.

Anyway - you can't get it from french kissing that much I know is true.

Ruthy1234 wrote: »
    www.swineflu.ie answers a few questions about it.... I'm so worried about the schools re-opening

Why?

One of the first lines on the link you gave us says:

"...most patients will have relatively mild symptoms, they will not need any antiviral medication and will recover by staying at home (to prevent spreading infection to others), drinking plenty of fluids and taking paracetamol regularly to relieve their symptoms."

And nearly all the evidence so far suggests only the very sick are at risk of dying from swine flu, which is what happens if you catch the normal flu too.

There is no need to overly worry. Risk is a part of life, and swine flu appears to be very low risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

womoma wrote: »
    I have some sort of Flu now the last 2 days.

So far it is like every other achey, snotty, shivvery flu I've had, except with more farting, and less fever. Sweating absolute buckets too.

I spoke too soon. It's fairly kicking my butt today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

"the number of people who had contracted the virus, as of last weekend, was 276.

Almost 240 of these had caught it abroad. Which means that, in a country with a population of 4.1 million, around 38 people have caught the virus on these shores. On the other hand, the Health Service Executive (HSE) is predicting that 25 per cent of the population could be infected when infection rates spike in the autumn.

Reading the advice for playschools and creches from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC), I felt my panic levels rising satisfactorily. Soft toys are to be removed from playschools. Children in creches are to be discouraged from sharing crayons or sitting on the carpet. The use of wind instruments should be avoided. Children should be taught ‘‘respiratory etiquette’’.

If a child falls ill in school, the teacher is to sit one metre away from the child until the parent arrives.

Since this might not be possible with a baby, the carer should wear a surgical mask and place the baby’s chin on their shoulder, ‘‘so that they will not cough in the carer’s face’’. By now, I almost felt ready to start stuffing cotton wool in my own ears.

Remember 1997,whenwe worked ourselves into a collective panic over warnings that vCJD could infect 500,000 people annually in Britain alone? So far,164 people there have died from the disease.

Or what about the Sars panic of 2002-2003? (Deaths worldwide: 774.)

Then 2005 brought us avian flu and a warning from Australian flu expert Robert Webster that there were ‘‘about even odds at this time for the virus to learn how to transmit human to human . . .50 per cent of the population could die . . . I’m sorry if I’m making people a little frightened, but I feel it’s my role."

(Deaths worldwide: 257.) By contrast, old-fashioned flu kills hundreds of thousands of people around the world every year.

Panic proliferators respond to these figures with some of their own: the 1918-20 Spanish flu outbreak, which killed 20 million to 50 million people at a time when the world’s population was 1.9 billion. Adjusting these figures to today’s terms, researchers at the University of Minnesota suggest that as many as 360 million people could die during this pandemic.

And yes, they possibly could - if a significant proportion of the world’s population resorted to living in trenches and modern medicine was forced to rely on the methods used in 1918 to deal with the Spanish flu. But where they had hospitals full of wounded soldiers, mustard baths, Bovril, wine and saltwater for gargling, we have Tamiflu, vaccines and the internet.

As any hypochondriac can tell you (I can refer you to a few if necessary), the fear of illness can be worse than the illness itself. During the last great swine flu scare, which hit the US in 1976,Congress voted to inoculate the entire country. One person died from the flu, 25 people died from the vaccine and 1,000 were left paralysed."

From an article in the business post - stop worring about the stoopid frickin swine flu for God's sake go out and enjoy yourself before you perish of misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

AARRRGH wrote: »
    And nearly all the evidence so far suggests only the very sick are at risk of dying from swine flu.

Wut, only the very sick are dying..you're kidding right.:rolleyes:

Swine flu is of more danger to obese people and people with underlying health problems.
    There is no need to overly worry. Risk is a part of life, and swine flu appears to be very low risk

Agree though, that's true - try not to worry folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

RIP

Wut, only the very sick are dying..you're kidding right.:rolleyes:

Swine flu is of more danger to obese people and people with underlying health problems.

Eh, you just agreed with me, so why did you say "you're kidding right" and then do a :rolleyes:?

Obese people are very sick, and the "underlying health problems" you refer to are serious health problems. They're not talking about people who have a cold.

Seriously, open your eyes to the nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Eh, you just agreed with me, so why did you say "you're kidding right" and then do a :rolleyes:?

Obese people are very sick, and the "underlying health problems" you refer to are serious health problems. They're not talking about people who have a cold.

Seriously, open your eyes to the nonsense.

Jeez,

You said the very sick are dying - people who usually die from a disease get very sick.:pac:

Obese people are sick - doubt that very much.
    Underlying health conditions such as asthama are serious???
    Since when is a 'cold' an underlying health condition?

Obese people are sick - doubt that very much.

Obese people are very ill. There is a reason they die young.
    Underlying health conditions such as asthama are serious???

Yes, hundreds of thousands (/millions?) of people die from asthma every year. Just because medication can control it doesn't mean it's not serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Poor girl!!

Advertisement