Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Irish Swine Flu Death

Options
  • 07-08-2009 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

A young Irish woman has died from human swine flu today at Tallaght Hospital in Dublin.

She is the first person to die from the virus here since the first cases emerged in this country in May.

A young woman from the west of Ireland has died from human swine flu today at Tallaght Hospital in Dublin.

She is the first person to die from the H1N1 virus here since the first cases emerged in this country in May.

Department of Health officials said this evening that the woman had an underlying medical condition.

The family has asked for privacy.

In a statement this evening, Tallaght Hospital said in order to protect the confidentiality and privacy of the family no personal details will be made available.

The hospital says that all national protocols have been followed in regards to the matter.

The statement went on to say that the patient has been in an individual room within the hospital from the time she was admitted and the hospital's Influenza Pandemic Flu Committee has put in place 'all necessary measures to ensure both the safety of other patients and staff within the Hospital'.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0807/swineflu.html

and so it begins.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0807/swineflu.html

She ''had an underlying medical condition''.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It was bound to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What is this Swine Flu you speak of?¿?¿?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

:eek:

Someone died from flu :eek:

Its national news :eek:

Never mind the hundreds that die with flu every year, or the previous conditions the person had.

I feel like calling in sick to work until this fluy thing goes away again, think my boss will be impressed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I blame Roscommon. The Zombie Survival Forum is going to become massive :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

HAA HAA HAA CHHUUUUU

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My friend had it a few weeks ago

Grand now

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The public are so stupid.

How many professors needs to come out and say the swine flu is no more dangerous than the normal flu before you'll believe them?

Loads of people die from the flu. It's a normal occurrence.

Can you not see this is just more fear mongering? First it was AIDS, then it was CJD, now it's the flu.

You're thousands of times more likely to die in a car crash tonight than you are to ever die from swine flu at any stage in your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

timmywex wrote: »
    :eek:

Someone died from flu :eek:

Its national news :eek:

Never mind the hundreds that die with flu every year, or the previous conditions the person had.

I feel like calling in sick to work until this fluy thing goes away again, think my boss will be impressed :rolleyes:

afaik you can only get Swine Flu ONCE?

So don't go calling in sick with it TWICE ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The Family ask for privacy so we make jokes about it on the interwebs. Nice. This ain't that other top sekkrit forum where this is OK, the family and Meedja have a real chance of reading this.

• Advertisement

The Family ask for privacy so we make jokes about it on the interwebs. Nice. This ain't that other top sekkrit forum where this is OK, the family and Meedja have a real chance of reading this.

Discussing the matter isn't really an invasion of their privacy =/

Knocking on their door and asking for a statement is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I have swine flu at the moment! (well recovering as first symptoms hit on monday) On the 2nd week of my holiday and all! anyway, Im of work till wednesday on doctors orders even though I told her Im feelin better and will be 100% grand by tomorrow!

Its proper sh!te craic by the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I have swine flu at the moment! (well recovering as first symptoms hit on monday) On the 2nd week of my holiday and all! anyway, Im of work till wednesday on doctors orders even though I told her Im feelin better and will be 100% grand by tomorrow!

Its proper sh!te craic by the way!!

Oh shit, now I've gotta spray Dettol on my internet:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The good news is that you can nip down the road with your Tamiflu prescription to your local phar-

Oh dear..:(

mike65 wrote: »
    The good news is that you can nip down the road with your Tamiflu prescription to your local phar-

Oh dear..:(

You now have to visit your local coven and dance naked in the woods to fight off the swine-flu (in Kerry anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Slumlion

I dont see whats so funny about an 18 year old girl dying .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

RIP to the young woman and my condolances to her family.

Slumlion wrote: »
    I dont see whats so funny about an 18 year old girl dying .

Nor does anyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I also have ''suspected'' swine flu, the job sent an email around saying anyone with symptoms should stay home. Of course when I called in sick I was told to come in.

Such is life. I now hope everyone in work catches it and dies, that'll learn em.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I was in England earlier week, and when I was bedbound in the hotel, the staff there phoned the swineflu line and were able to pick up a tamiflu perscription for me! Im actually meant to be quarenteened in the hotel room there until sunday, but I started to feel better and it was doing my head (and wallet) in so I did a runner, and drove back yesterday (was an awful journey and I did take care not to get to close to anyone or cough or sneeze in public!)

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Nor does anyone else.

Well if you genuinely didnt you wouldnt be joking about the topic like a little Weasley coward would you.

Well if you genuinely didnt you wouldnt be joking about the topic like a little Weasley coward would you.
    Dual at dawn ladies.

Here we go :rolleyes:

People have been dying from this for months, should we not be allowed to talk about it now just because an Irish person has died?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Can you not see this is just more fear mongering? First it was AIDS, then it was CJD, now it's the flu.

Yeah. That AIDS thing blew right over... it's not like an entire continent isn't ravaged by it or anything.

Here we go :rolleyes:

People have been dying from this for months, should we not be allowed to talk about it now just because an Irish person has died?

Not on a public Irish forum,how do you know a relative doesnt read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

yeah bit of respect people. RIP

Cause of the tears?

Same could be said for any number of topics tbh

Nobody is disrespecting the girl as far as I can tell, just the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

My sister has suspected swine flu (as in, undiagnosed but most/all of the symtoms). I suppose I'm next. :(

• Advertisement

I'm very upset at being called little.:(

Advertisement