Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

itouch not connecting to wifi

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

anyone with any further suggestions?

Well I've written a email to Apple telling them of my displeasure (which they won't read) and am about *this* close to fecking the thing in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 prettygirl9

i understand ur frustration Thoie but as i have connected to other networks i am guessing the problem is not with the itouch but some glitch or something with how i had my wireless thingy set up

am wondering see if i go back into that website with the numbers and change the encryption to WEP and put in my own <i dunno how many digits code> might it work????????

and hopefully i wont lose my laptops ability to connect to the internet in the process :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

am wondering see if i go back into that website with the numbers and change the encryption to WEP and put in my own <i dunno how many digits code> might it work????????

and hopefully i wont lose my laptops ability to connect to the internet in the process :rolleyes:

If you change the WEP key, you will also have to update the laptop, as it will be using the old one.

Have you tried the other suggestions of shutting down the iPhone completely (i.e. holding down the power button, then "slide to power off")?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Have you tried the other suggestions of shutting down the iPhone completely (i.e. holding down the power button, then "slide to power off")?
    yes - but it didnt make any difference

c the WEP key - u select 64 bit HEX does that mean your key has to have 64 charachters?????

c the WEP key - u select 64 bit HEX does that mean your key has to have 64 charachters?????

No. :)

It's usually 10-16 characters log, depending on the router and a few other settings. The Hex bit means it can only be a combination of numbers and the letters A to F (if you are really interested, Google Hex number system - riveting stuff :D).

• Advertisement

No. :)

... The Hex bit means it can only be a combination of numbers and the letters A to F (if you are really interested, Google Hex number system - riveting stuff :D).

haha yea right ....will get straight on it....:p

anyways THE MOST FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!
    I am connected to my internet with my itouch and my laptop (independantly!!) woopideedooooooo!!!

thanks to everyone who got me this far! :D

anyways THE MOST FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!
    I am connected to my internet with my itouch and my laptop (independantly!!) woopideedooooooo!!!

thanks to everyone who got me this far! :D

So what did you do?

So what did you do?

went into the admin page of the router at 192.168.0.0 or whatever
    and on the wireless link my security was set to WPA/PSK
    so i changed it to WEP which had 4 keys so i made up one
    and BINGO!

happy out

now if i could only figure out how to charge it
    its been plugged into my laptop while i've been out
    but its nearly outta charge
    and what do i do when i am in the states - i'm not bringing my laptop at all.....and i dont think theres a plug.... hmmm... ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Panda Bear

Hi again glad to knpw you did actually connect eventually and hopefully connected to Itune and able to get you favourite sounds or even listen to some sample and use your browser on the internet.

Obv you do as you said want to restore some level of security to you wirless lan agreed. I feel sure you have the feature you need on the Itouch so I captured a couple of screen shots from a mate's Itouch to try and see if you could continue with some level of security/encryption.

here is the first screen on your Itouch as you can see it shows the current wifi connection this device has but if you look below you will see
    OTHER .....Tap this....
    screenshot 1.jpg
    you will the see the next screen as you can see it shows Name which will be the name of your wirless
    and Security
    Enter your wirelesss network name and then tap security
    screenshot2.jpg
    you will now see the various levels of security you can select from so select the same security level you choose in the router
    tap it
    screenshot3.jpg
    I have also found that thru this screen I simply choose the security level and went back to scree 1 and select join and enter password and it still worked.

please give this a go..if all this fails........afetr this I dont know waht to say so best of luck with this
    Make the iPod touch forget a network, so that the device doesn't join it automatically.
    Choose Wi-Fi and tap the arrow next to a network you've joined before.
    tap "Forget this Network."
    Connect to a closed Wi-Fi network (an available Wi-Fi network that isn't
    shown in the list of scanned networks).
    Choose Wi-Fi, then tap Other and enter the network name. If the network
    requires a password, choose Security, tap the type of security the network uses, and enter the password.
    You must already know the network name, password, and security type to connect to a closed network. Some Wi-Fi networks may require you to enter or adjust additional settings, such as a client ID or static IP address.

if you are going to the States you will be using what are called closed networks where you will have to be told the network name password and security. On the other hand if you are with relatives of friend it will be pretty much like hoe you will see that the Itouch will scan and list available networks you will selct the one you wish enter the password and it should all work just like it did at home.

went into the admin page of the router at 192.168.0.0 or whatever
    and on the wireless link my security was set to WPA/PSK
    so i changed it to WEP which had 4 keys so i made up one
    and BINGO!

happy out

now if i could only figure out how to charge it
    its been plugged into my laptop while i've been out
    but its nearly outta charge
    and what do i do when i am in the states - i'm not bringing my laptop at all.....and i dont think theres a plug.... hmmm... ideas??

See my post for my solution..........cover myself asnd my wife with one plug

• Advertisement

I use my charger for my Blackberry as it has A removable usb charger and my wife simply plugs in her USB for the Itouch. One plug for use both to travel. The bb plug/charger also comes with slip on adapters for fifferent countries. But I am sure you couold get an independent charger for your Itouch ina sore but it could cost 40/50 euro so try the net.

Advertisement