Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the free film

Options
  • 06-08-2009 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I got a couple of boxes and could have gone back a few times to get the rest but I told the guy I'd leave it so that some of the other guys from here could get some. Anything I'm not using is been given to friends. If theres people sellin the stuff im goin to get the rest of the boxes and either give them to my friends or put them on ebay for free with only postage costs, what are the chances someone gets them for free on ebay and sells them on tho?

Maybe they should go to photography students or community art groups

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Give em to people on here!? I know id like some but theres no unicare here in Waterford or the surrounding counties and ive no car :(

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

dazftw wrote: »
    Give em to people on here!? I know id like some but theres no unicare here in Waterford or the surrounding counties and ive no car :(

Im gonna try get some more. I can send you 30 rolls if you pay postage.
    I can post them tomorrow if you pay me postage thru paypal asap or I can post next wednesday when I have the cash to do so and you can pay when you receive them?

How much for postage? I can pay right now yeah...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm also dying to get some - was sickened when I found that ebay guy today :/ I might even be up in dublin at the weekend but would be delighted to pay postage costs also. Let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I like the way the ebay guy is going to sell his to pay for different film. I've got tons of the stuff so I might swap some for other film myself to use.

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote: »
    I like the way the ebay guy is going to sell his to pay for different film. I've got tons of the stuff so I might swap some for other film myself to use.

he has it listed as superia and its NOT superia, not sure if the boxes have been stored in a fridge with other medications by Unicare.

I think its ethically wrong to sell it on for free when alot of people here could do something with it. Im sure he told Unicare he was gonna use it all himself, I doubt they would give it away so people could sell it on.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I'm also dying to get some - was sickened when I found that ebay guy today :/ I might even be up in dublin at the weekend but would be delighted to pay postage costs also. Let me know :)

Ive pm'd the guy from waterford with an post prices. gonna see how much film i can get 2moro. Ill prob be able to send u 30rolls as well but cant commit to any more for anyone else at this point.

up to 1kg its around 6euro for standard post, up to 1.5kg its around 14 for express next working day delivery. 30 should be <1kg

http://postage.anpost.ie/weight.asp?country=IE

Im too tired to check again, thats a rough idea above and thats the link for official prices. I wont be charging over what it costs me to post it, tho if theres paypal fees I cant take them on myself, should be around 1euro I'd say.

to be honest its not the greatest of films. Its usable tho.

nice to be able to shoot with wide angle lenses and actually get wide angle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Hello

I still don't have any free films :( And I would like to give it a go, twenty or thirty rolls.

Any offers are more than welcome. And I could collect from Tullamore this weekend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Ive pm'd the guy from waterford with an post prices. gonna see how much film i can get 2moro. Ill prob be able to send u 30rolls as well but cant commit to any more for anyone else at this point.

up to 1kg its around 6euro for standard post, up to 1.5kg its around 14 for express next working day delivery. 30 should be <1kg

http://postage.anpost.ie/weight.asp?country=IE

Im too tired to check again, thats a rough idea above and thats the link for official prices. I wont be charging over what it costs me to post it, tho if theres paypal fees I cant take them on myself, should be around 1euro I'd say.

you just let me know - I'm not one of these people who is afraid of transferring it to your bank account but anyway let me know we'll sort it out - no way I would expect you to pay cent of course we can bang on a couple of quid to cover the effort/packaging etc.

• Advertisement

Im 100% certain standard post will be fine within Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

if anyone has any spare i'd really appreciate it. i'd be more than willing to pay postage, and send an S.A. jiffy E. :o

there's no unicare in sligo, and the only one in mayo had never heard of the offer. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jao

ThOnda wrote: »
    Hello

I still don't have any free films :( And I would like to give it a go, twenty or thirty rolls.

Any offers are more than welcome. And I could collect from Tullamore this weekend.

Ill send some down to tullamore for you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

artyeva wrote: »
    if anyone has any spare i'd really appreciate it. i'd be more than willing to pay postage, and send an S.A. jiffy E. :o

there's no unicare in sligo, and the only one in mayo had never heard of the offer. :(

I can pop 20 rolls down to Mayo. PM details, no bother. I could pop the Olympus Trip in too if you want that for a week or two? I recall you metioning an interest in one on another thread.

Dazft you aren't you in the same region as and friends with fajitas? I gave him a box of about a hundred for NCAD, he might still have a few. Maybe he's eaten them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I was hungry :-/

I better update my location...

Darren, if you've access to a car, pop out to me before the day is out - I think you have my number, I'll be gone tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

humberklog wrote: »
    I can pop 20 rolls down to Mayo. PM details, no bother. I could pop the Olympus Trip in too if you want that for a week or two? I recall you metioning an interest in one on another thread.quote]

you are indeed a gentleman and a scholar. PM sent. looking forward to giving the trip a bashing a nice bubble wrapped jaunt round the north mayo bog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Lads blanchardstown unicare still has about four or five boxes (100 roll boxes) of the stuff.

I have 130 rolls in the freezer if anyone needs any in the near future, though ive no way of accepting payments :(

Nice, I was hoping the thread would turn this way. Im about to go out and try get some more film.

It would be a shame for people to stock up on it and leave most of it sitting there being unused.

If everyone with a couple of hundred rolls or more than they can use could send a few to their country cousins that would be great!

I dont need packaging costs, ill just get some cardboard boxes from local stores and Ive tape here, its not for any profit.

back soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Darren there's a unicare in Dungravan, haven't been down to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i need film, some one pm me

• Advertisement

dazftw
    mayordenis
    thonda
    artyeva
    placebo

40rolls each for 6.50euro(possibly 7.50, weighing them tomorrow) with standard post

anyone else?

only ask if you will actually use them. It could cost 5 euro each roll to develop and scan to cd with no prints. thats 200euro for those 40rolls, not including prints. some places charge 8euro for negatives and scan to cd.

You might get it done for 1euro a roll if you do it in bulk and just have the film developed,(no cd or prints). an epson v300 would be a good choice if you only have around 100ish euro to spend on a film scanner.

You would actually get better scans from the v300 than the usual fuji frontiera machine or whatever its called that most places have. Its pretty old and sometimes oversharpens, the scans are low res too. most people working them dont know how to change settings, its possible to export as tiff but they are usually set to jpeg and maybe 3mp files.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

anyone else?

Yes, would love to get some if you have enough. Asked in the unicare stores in Blackrock but they didn't have any left. Going to try developing at home if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There's one in Clonmel too if that's any good to you!

Yes, would love to get some if you have enough. Asked in the unicare stores in Blackrock but they didn't have any left. Going to try developing at home if I can.

pretty complicated to do color film at home. u need complete darkness, no red/amber light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

pretty complicated to do color film at home. u need complete darkness, no red/amber light.

Developing the film is pretty easy, you need exactly as much darkness as developing B&W. I.E. 100% :-)
    Doing colour PRINTS at home on the other hand is a whole different ball game.

Yes, will be just film, have tried digitizing a few old negitives and that seems to work okay. Have read the manual for development tank I ordered and it seems to make loading film straight forward enough, have ordered small C-41 kit and have read a few guides. Bit worried about how accurate you have to be with temperature and time and have to work out where I will do it. I guess if I follow the instructions carefully it should be okay. Really like the look of your photos Daire, might be sending you some questions if thats okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

thanks kumate, i live in city center if that helps at all, but ive no problem in paying postage etc
    sure round it off to 10 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Yes, will be just film, have tried digitizing a few old negitives and that seems to work okay. Have read the manual for development tank I ordered and it seems to make loading film straight forward enough, have ordered small C-41 kit and have read a few guides. Bit worried about how accurate you have to be with temperature and time and have to work out where I will do it. I guess if I follow the instructions carefully it should be okay. Really like the look of your photos Daire, might be sending you some questions if thats okay.

Sure thing. Might be better leaving them on a thread though so everyone can read them. I try to be as accurate as possible with temps/times but I've found that it doesn't matter QUITE as much as the instructions say, provided you're prepared to do some colour correction in post. Specified temp for c-41 is 38.5c +/- 0.25. I generally make up my mixtures to 39c, and pre-soak the film in water of the same temperature. Then I dump it in, agitate once at the start, again at 30'' and once more for the final 10 sec before dumping out the developer and doing a wash.
    One other thing which will simplify it enormously, the times and temperatures are only vital for the first, development, step. Both the bleach and fix steps (or combined blix step if you're using a 2 bath kit) are process to completion, so the temperature can be anything from about 25 -> 45 or so and you just have to be careful to leave them in for at LEAST the time specified, and agitate properly.

As an example, that last roll of Ektar on my stream (last few shots up) I accidentally developed for about 30'' longer than I should have done ... it's easy to lose track of what you're doing when the entire dev step is only 3' 15'' :rolleyes:

Also those chemicals, provided they're stored properly, last for a whole while longer than claimed on the box. I've had mine for over a year. They were fuji hunt chemicals though, full 5L 4 bath kit. I store them in their component bits and make up 500ml at a time as I need it. I've put about 30->40 films through it at this stage, which translates to about €1 per film development.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Also those chemicals, provided they're stored properly, last for a whole while longer than claimed on the box. I've had mine for over a year. They were fuji hunt chemicals though, full 5L 4 bath kit. I store them in their component bits and make up 500ml at a time as I need it. I've put about 30->40 films through it at this stage, which translates to about €1 per film development.

have ever tried xpro? i'm considering buying a reel tank and some cheap e6 kit and giving it a stab myself... seems pretty simple, theres even 3 stage colour kits like bw.

• Advertisement

Excellent, thats great info, thanks Daire. Did read in one post here that you can do it at 30 degrees for longer, so might be an option if I need to make things easier, will see what the instructions say.
    Still not sure what the camera I got is like at taking photos, so might get the first roll developed in the shop this weekend and try myself after that.

kumate_champ07 20 rolls would probably be enough to get me started as long as its not taking away film you might use yourself, and if I did end up not using it, could pass it on to other boardsies.

Advertisement