Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of Repeatin Coming On??

Options
  • 05-08-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

Is Anyone else starting to get tyhe fear they will have to repeat?:eek::(

i was fine up until like a week ago, then everyone i knew started asking me if i was mervous about it, they really got to me and now i am:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I know exactly what you mean.Im not aiming that high and yet I still fear that I am going to do poorly.If I have to repeat it may actualy be the best thing that has ever happened to me though.I will study my ass off.I obivoulsy still don't want to though.I think as time draws near,everybody is feeling the crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yep, I did awful on my maths exam and then I realised all my courses on the CAO required a C3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

I think I'd rather do a PLC course than repeat, six years in one school is long enough.

I did also apply for a PLC, pre-uni science and it also requires a C3! Life's a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

You had to start this thread to make us all go the ****ters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Just a question lads:D

A freind mentioned the last day if I fail irish I dont get a leaving, And ive been getting e & fs in irish for five years (im just useless at it) I expect to fail!

Im pretty sure this is not the case, Ill get a leaving anyway and im not too worryed
    but could some one confirm this for me?:o

None of my chosen courses/colleges require irish for entry or to meet the maticulation requirements!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

no way if you fail irish your grand you still pass the leaving i made sure of this as i plan on failing it....unfortuneately.... i also think that i may not do as well as i should do but no way im repeating i couldnt handle another year i think i would die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

repeating wouldn't be that big of a deal tbh especially the way the economy is at the moment, might as well avoid the big bad world for as long as possible. If I don't get my course I'm definetly repeating, I only put down one thing on the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Ah here lads, repeating's not that bad.

Just did it myself, the year literally flew by.
    I wouldn't have been able to go back to my old school though, yeah.

Anyway, you lot are just panicing. Keep the oul' chin up.
    Don't stress yourselves out and so on.

It really isn't bad I agree. TBH I have no deep love for going to college, if I get my course(which I highly doubt-European Studies in Trinity) I'd be happy but I wouldn't shed any tears. I didn't hate the Leaving Cert at all, maby its because I loved my year, the banter was class and if you got a crap repeating year it might suck but it be more next August if I didn't get the result I want that I'd be pissed off.

Actually for the record in history, what is the document question next year? Is it the same format? Will there be two European History essays?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭paulhealy1991

if youre repeating theres more chance of been hit with collage fees in the year 2010 if they bring them in!!! god i hope i pass maths :confused:

meh if they implement it right i cant think about that when i'm out working in brussels on €100,000 a year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭paulhealy1991

ara who wants to live out there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

I felt like I needed to repeat even since I finished paper 1 in English on the first day. I'm more worried that I might have failed maths with means I would have to repeat the leaving because most colleges accept only a D3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Some accept an E in higher level if you have 3 HC3 s in other qualifying subjects. That's how I got into galway. I'd thought i'd have to repeat maths externally but it could have been used to save money for college and get the course you really want. Some people just accept any course to go to college and can end up dropping out because they don't really like it. Always go for what your heart wants and even if its delayed sure its it the direction you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Irishtrojan

I repeated, do NOT go back to your old school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭holadivaldfe

i completely agree that repeating is a good idea if you don't get what you want as i know at least 10 people that either have dropped out or want to drop out simply because they want a different course deep down. infact i fear i may become one of those people but i just can't afford to repeat especially with fees coming in, even if i go back to my old school. eugh.... i either need good results or a winning lotto ticket. :rolleyes:

Mr.S wrote: »
    the way i see it, if i repeat, i know i'm going to do much more study etc and tbh i'd rather do another year of school to get a course i actually want to do for the next 3-4 years instead of settling for another course that i only put down because it had low points.

That's what all repeats say.
    Personally, I think I did less study..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Yeah, but I imagine it would be hard to keep that up. You've done the courses for two years already. You did the exam. You'd imagine by the end of it, you'd have a somewhat decent grasp on the material. You then choose to spend a whole year studying the same stuff. I imagine the motivation to go over it a million times would run out pretty fast.

Pretty convinced I'm going to be repeating. Not all that bothered by it tbh, because I've thought I would be for a while. Though I'd rather spend another year doing 6th year again, to get exactly what I want, than spend 3 years doing a PLC to move up to my course. The LC wasn't that awful that I'd spend two extra years fecking around to avoid it.

where would people be thinking of repeating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I really wouldnt mind repeating, I'm getting way too old to be starting uni as a non-mature student, if I repeat I'll be 20!

Mr.S wrote: »
    Be pritty retarded to do less study and end up getting the same/worse mark as the year before, what a waste of a year?

Well, yes, but...
    Yeah, but I imagine it would be hard to keep that up. You've done the courses for two years already. You did the exam. You'd imagine by the end of it, you'd have a somewhat decent grasp on the material. You then choose to spend a whole year studying the same stuff. I imagine the motivation to go over it a million times would run out pretty fast.

Yeah.
    Motivation. It's hard to come by.
    I was so psyched up at the start of it. It all sort of dwindled- the motivation, the will to bother, etc...

I repeated in a public school, but one with an emphasis on repeating. As in,t here was enough repeats there to make special repeat cl;asses for some subjects.

A lot of us were just completely fed up towards the end.

Saying that, I do think it's worthwhile and also possible to do less work and get better grades.
    Meh, i dunno. Let's just see how the results go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

does anyone know anything about any of these:
    bruce(cork or dublin)
    yeats college(galway or waterford)
    limerick tutorial college

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Yeats galway has a good rep
    but extorionate fees and really? Do you want to spend a year surrounded by total swats in a posh private school;)

Personally I think if your teachers are good and you liked your old school why not?

well except to avoid teachers constantly making a example out of you to get the other "first timers:rolleyes:" to work harder

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Fad wrote: »
    I really wouldnt mind repeating, I'm getting way too old to be starting uni as a non-mature student, if I repeat I'll be 20!

Same here, my birthday is the day after our results, if I do it again next year I'll be positively ANCIENT! :pac: But I suppose it's better than being stuck with a course I didn't want!

I definitely wouldn't go back to my old school because I would have to deal with repeating the same ****e again, like people messing at the start of the year and not taking it serious and then all of sudden Christmas arrives and the mocks etc.

At least going to a repeat school, everyone is in the same boat and the leaving cert seriously.

Plunkett's College in Whitehall is meant to good for repeating also, it isn't private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

This is my story if I end up not getting my course. I hope to do medicine but very much doubht I'll get in. Like many of us I've had a lot of thinking time over the summer and i've changed my plan B so many times!

If I don't get into medicine then thats it, I'm taking the year out to try again next year. I didnt do chemistry for the leaving so I wasnt able to apply for veterinary medicine this year. If I don't get into medicine again next year then Im' gonna head for veterinary med.

If I do repeat I'm gonna stay at my old school as I loved it there. Also when my brother repeated he moved to a different school, but he was so unhappy there he moved back to his old one. I know that this is not the situation for everyone. Some may hate there school, but if you liked it and was comfortable there, I think it might be worth staying there.

Anyway, the only dilemma i'm facing now is whether I should repeat the entire leaving or just do chemistry on it's own.:confused:I know i have the points achieved for vet med (hopefully!!!!) and an adequate amount for med, so I dont know whether theres any point in repeating the entire leaving. If I did repeat I'd prob drop down to pass in english and irish, use my other six subjects for points plus getting the HL C3 min in chemistry. It's taken me awhile to come up with a solid plan B and its very likely im gonna have to use it, so do ye think its a good plan? Please let me know if I have left out anything or if there are any restrictions that might face me??

Just want to say good luck to everyone on the 12th and I hope you will be happy with whatever happens.:) Ive learnt that if you have your heart set on something then its not the end of the world if you have to repeat. I know so many people who didnt get there first choice, doing another course and dropping out because they hated it.

Thanks in advance!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'm terrified I'll get **** results but I won't repeat. Just won't.
    No idea what the hell i'm supposed to do but I'm not going back.

Worst thing is that I know I'm more than good enough for the college course I want (in that I already knows tons of it and have been teaching myself since I was like 13) and I may not get in just because I didn't study a bunch of irrelevant stuff I'd never need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I'm terrified I'll get **** results but I won't repeat. Just won't.
    No idea what the hell i'm supposed to do but I'm not going back.

Worst thing is that I know I'm more than good enough for the college course I want (in that I already knows tons of it and have been teaching myself since I was like 13) and I may not get in just because I didn't study a bunch of irrelevant stuff I'd never need.

You won't know until results are out - but you might only need to repeat maybe one subject, which wouldn't be as bad. And there may be other ways into your course. Don't despair just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

I repeated, do NOT go back to your old school.

Why?

If you dont theres a chance you wont be doing the same optional topics that you did the year before...

Advertisement