Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penumbral Lunar Eclipse Tonight - 06/08/09

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Where in the sky did you take those pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

jumpguy wrote: »
    Where in the sky did you take those pics?
    Between the moon (left side) and Jupiter, I was trying to see if I could get a picture of some stars, you can see the same two stars in the pictures. Has me baffled :confused:

Saw two pairs of stars abit similiar to that last night except they were not close to the moon. Forgot to look up what they were on Stellarium, just remembered now!

I'm jaded, crappy night for stargazing, night all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

01mirelly wrote: »
    Since its magnitude is only 0.402, it will not be visible to the naked eye.

I think it's a magnitude change, which is not very noticeable to the naked eye. A magnitude +1 is 2.5 times brighter than a magnitude +2 object, and so on. The Moon is an average of magnitude -12 when full.

To see how tiny the difference in brightness was last night, visit this thread here:

http://www.irishastronomy.org/cms/forum?func=view&catid=29&id=80055#80062

There is a link to the actual photo in reverse format showing the difference.

Bells and whistles by A&S for a more or less non-event it sounds like.

Seanie.

Bells and whistles indeed, it's virtually unnoticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I was all clouded in last night,Gonna' have a look at jupiter tonight though :)

Stupid moon!!!! GODDAMNIT!!! Another clear night gone! :(

Question: Can anyone make out the moons of Jupiter with 10x50 goggles? I can't. :(

Stupid moon!!!! GODDAMNIT!!! Another clear night gone! :(

Question: Can anyone make out the moons of Jupiter with 10x50 goggles? I can't. :(

I was able to separate 2 of the Galilean moons once before in 12 X 50's, so I think it can be done. You need to have your bino's mounted on a tripod so that you don't shake them - very important to see such detail! I also recognised the shape of Saturn through the bino's too (an elongated disc).

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Didn't notice anything with the moon, but was indeed wondering what the bright dot beside it was :) Jupiter eh... Cool.

Seanie M wrote: »
    I was able to separate 2 of the Galilean moons once before in 12 X 50's, so I think it can be done. You need to have your bino's mounted on a tripod so that you don't shake them - very important to see such detail! I also recognised the shape of Saturn through the bino's too (an elongated disc).

Seanie.
    Ahh I see, the tripod is my downfall. I can rest my arms on the pier which keeps it very steady but not perfect. I can make out what looks like 2 stars joined together at best, but no perfect 2 (or even 4) seperate stars.

• Advertisement

Ahh I see, the tripod is my downfall. I can rest my arms on the pier which keeps it very steady but not perfect. I can make out what looks like 2 stars joined together at best, but no perfect 2 (or even 4) seperate stars.

Well don't forget, the moon's orbit Jupiter, so from night to night, their positions will change, and at that, you won't always see the 4 of them.

Seanie.

Advertisement