Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penumbral Lunar Eclipse Tonight - 06/08/09

Options
  • 05-08-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Tonight / Thursday morning between 1am and 2am part of the Moon will pass through Earth's penumbra. You be able to see it as a slight darkening of the lower half of the Moon, with the deepest part of the eclipse at 1:39am. Hope it's a clear night so I can get some pics :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Hope it works out for you hellboy. This partial penumbral eclipse will, however, be very faint. Only about the lower third of the Moon's surface will darken slightly.

Download this info sheet on the event, from NASA's eclipse pages.

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'll definetly go out and have a look. I was looking at the full moon last night through the bino's. Looks so detailed and nice close up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Perfect clear skies here and a full moon to ruin it :( I think I would have taken an hour of clear browsing over the eclipse...

efla wrote: »
    Perfect clear skies here and a full moon to ruin it :( I think I would have taken an hour of clear browsing over the eclipse...
    Same here, moon is very bright. :( First clear sky in ages. Stupid moon.

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    Same here, moon is very bright. :( First clear sky in ages. Stupid moon.

Yah, it's a pain alright. The weather is meant to pick up from now on for a good while, so we should get a good few clear nights. Winter is by far the best season for astronomy, though: so fingers crossed for lots of clear skies then.

Did abit of looking, nothing too big and not visible to the naked eye. Get the bino's out, may aswell see something. :pac:

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OHfigures/OH2009-Fig07.pdf
    http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OH2009.html#2009Aug06N
    A shallow penumbral eclipse occurs 15 days after the total solar eclipse. Since its magnitude is only 0.402, it will not be visible to the naked eye. Details for the eclipse can be found in Figure 7.

Don't expect anything spectacular. Also, you probably won't notice the eclipse unless you photograph it (so you'll have several reference points) as it slowly fades in and out, leaving nothing greatly discernable to the naked eye.

For example, this is about as good as a penumbral eclipse gets:

NLE2002-3w.JPG

Nothing spectacular (the one tonight won't even be as noticable as that, either).

Shh don't spoil what little excitement I have. :P What're you looking at tonight Jammy?

IFAS tells me I just missed a transit of Ganymede. Cant see anything with the moon glare and city glow!

• Advertisement

Shh don't spoil what little excitement I have. :P

If you're astute with your observations you'll notice the difference, so there's hope yet!
    What're you looking at tonight Jammy?

Absolutely nothing, the Moon has ruined everything. It's the one thing in the sky that I hate...

I'm just holding out hope for next Wednesday when the Perseids reach their maximum.

I have just realised (given the circular layout of our estate - and thanks to a housemates observation) that there is nowhere in the night sky I can point my binoculars without looking like a pervert.

I'm keeping my notebook and redlight close to hand in case anyone says anything :)

efla wrote: »
    I have just realised (given the circular layout of our estate - and thanks to a housemates observation) that there is nowhere in the night sky I can point my binoculars without looking like a pervert.

I'm keeping my notebook and redlight close to hand in case anyone says anything :)
    Haha! Not even straight up? :pac: I think about 70% of telescopes are bought for astronomy, the other 30%.... I'm in an estate too but it's virtually deserted at this hour so if any of the neighbours saw me they'd be wondering what the crazy child is doing staring at the moon.

Same here Jammy, just went out and had a look at the moon now in the bino's, no visible change. Will try again every 10 minutes.
    Are those times in UT? Isn't Ireland an hour ahead of UT during the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

whats that big white star to the left of the moon? is it Jupiter or the space station does anyone know?

Same here Jammy, just went out and had a look at the moon now in the bino's, no visible change. Will try again every 10 minutes.
    Are those times in UT? Isn't Ireland an hour ahead of UT during the summer?

I honestly don't know. If you're not noticing anything at all now, they may very well be UT.
    whats that big white star to the left of the moon? is it Jupiter or the space station does anyone know?

Yah, that's Jupiter.

Went out and the moon is gone behind a thick band of clouds!! NOOOOO!!!!

Someone please go out and check for me...is it there? :(

Went out and the moon is gone behind a thick band of clouds!! NOOOOO!!!!

Someone please go out and check for me...is it there? :(

Not that I can see, anyway. It looks slightly faded in the uppermost left "corner", but that may be due to its phase.

It has probably happened already, penumbral eclipses are, in my opinion, not worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

wow..thats Jupiter? that's so cool! thanks for that!

Not that I can see, anyway. It looks slightly faded in the uppermost left "corner", but that may be due to its phase.

It has probably happened already, penumbral eclipses are, in my opinion, not worth watching.
    Hmmmmm..., and according to the information NASA has it should be in the bottom left corner. Perhaps it is in an hour...will have to have a look then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I haven't noticed any change, maybe I got the times are wrong :confused:

AI say 1.39am

• Advertisement

Nothing here either, had my eye on it for half an hour. Mostly taken with the lovely view of jupiter - one of few times my binos have resolved a moon* so close

*Is it still referred to as an occultation? - Io passing behind at 23:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 seanmcfoto

Nothing here.. Clouding over as we speak.. Even went out with the 40D 500mm with 2x and nothing to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Nothing noticable here yet. Perhaps it's because it's so bright but looking at it with the naked eye, the moon seems to flicker brighter briefly every now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭01mirelly

Nothing noticable here yet. Perhaps it's because it's so bright but looking at it with the naked eye, the moon seems to flicker brighter briefly every now and again.

You will see on nasa's web that they say it will not be visable to the naked eye. :(
    Penumbral Lunar Eclipse of August 06

A shallow penumbral eclipse occurs 15 days after the total solar eclipse. Since its magnitude is only 0.402, it will not be visible to the naked eye. Details for the eclipse can be found in Figure 7.
    http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OH2009.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 seanmcfoto

So much for AI..

seanmcfoto wrote: »
    So much for AI..
    Yeah AI are pretty unpopular alright. Don't know why they posted about this...it apparently sucks...or maybe we'll have to wait an hour

ya least its a clear night for once and Jupiter is visable.

I got this pic

dscf1284.jpg

and then I got these two :confused::confused:

dscf1344.jpg

dscf1343.jpg

Its .E.T ha :)

• Advertisement

01mirelly wrote: »
    Its .E.T ha :)
    I'm going to post them up in the Paranormal section to see what people think, they look cool in a strange way :)

Advertisement