Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respect Authority

Options
  • 05-08-2009 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Anyone watched the TV lately?

Me, I can't be bothered anymore.

If it is not a cop show it is a bouncer show, or a council inspector show, or a baliff show, or an emergency show.

The message is coming across loud and clear. "RESPECT AUTHORITY, you are a little peasant, we are the big boys. you will follow our orders".

No buddy, I'll do as I see fit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

If you press the "TV Guide" button on the remote, you'll see that there are a number of different channels both before and after Sky 1;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 OxWarren

Long Onion wrote: »
    If you press the "TV Guide" button on the remote, you'll see that there are a number of different channels both before and after Sky 1;)

bravo, BBC 1, five, RTE, Channel 4.

The propaganda is endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

OxWarren wrote: »
    Anyone watched the TV lately?

Me, I can't be bothered anymore.

If it is not a cop show it is a bouncer show, or a council inspector show, or a baliff show, or an emergency show.

The message is coming across loud and clear. "RESPECT AUTHORITY, you are a little peasant, we are the big boys. you will follow our orders".

I take it you haven't met Sharpshooter yet?

<gets popcorn & makes self comfortable>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There is a lot of it on RTE now too. Customs, Traffic Police, that one about the people who clean places, Crimecall...

Sky has a bit of it too, but it also has a lot of drunken scumabags beating up old women in Liverpool type programmes aswell.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    Sky has a bit of it too, but it also has a lot of drunken scumabags beating up old women in Liverpool type programmes aswell.

That must be to fulfill the requirement of balanced reporting.

WindSock wrote: »
    There is a lot of it on RTE now too. Customs, Traffic Police, that one about the people who clean places, Crimecall...

Yeah thats right.

Anyone seen the RTE Customs show where they had a sniffer dog inspecting welsh rugby fans. The dog suggested that 7 people had drugs. They did not have anything.

Yer man asked the fellas "is there any reason why the dog has detected the presence of drugs on your person."

I wish I had been there "the dog is not very well trained, that is why. Now f'uck off out of my way".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ok , but if I happen to be sitting next to you on a plane , for gawds sake dont try open the emergency exit in flight .

That must be to fulfill the requirement of balanced reporting.

Do you not think that the crime problem is blown out of all proportion??

I am increasingly of that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Do you not think that the crime problem is blown out of all proportion??

I am increasingly of that opinion.

Sure it's only a few murders, what's the problem officer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

bravo, BBC 1, five, RTE, Channel 4.

The propaganda is endless.

yeah my granddad don't like them either ;)

brummytom wrote: »
    Sure it's only a few murders, what's the problem officer?

Exactly. In a scoiety of 4 million, such events have to be accepted. No point in giving up all your rights in the name of some "safety" promise.

fintonie wrote: »
    yeah my granddad don't like them either ;)

Yeah, the older generations can see such shows for what they are. The younger people seem to love their rulers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Anyone seen the RTE Customs show where they had a sniffer dog inspecting welsh rugby fans. The dog suggested that 7 people had drugs. They did not have anything.
    Quite possibly the dog detected traces of them either having smoked something in the recent past, or they had been in the company of people doing the same. See, there's a simple non conspiratorial explanation for everything if you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

But there good TV!

Better than watching big brother or emmerdale. Nothing like seeing cops beat up some misbehaving scumbags and then get the commentary saying the got 4 years in the slammer:D

Yeah thats right.

Yer man asked the fellas "is there any reason why the dog has detected the presence of drugs on your person."

I wish I had been there "the dog is not very well trained, that is why. Now f'uck off out of my way".

I was travelling back from amsterdam to dublin by bus and the French fellas pulled us by the channel tunnel and marched us all into a hall where they started checking our baggage and passports. I got to the immigration counter and the woman there looked at my passpost and asked "why are there so many people on this bus going to Dublin?"

I just looked at her and said erm, it's the Dublin Bus - she got p1ssed off

What a stupid question!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Yeah thats right.

Does the dog being shown to be ineffectual reinforce the concept of authority, or weaken it?

. Nothing like seeing cops beat up some misbehaving scumbags and then get the commentary saying the got 4 years in the slammer:D

You have obviously never had personal dealings with the cops. You get something robbed and see what they will do for you. Not very much, unless they can fine you for having a tax disc two days out of date, ot God forbid you to 35kmph in a 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kavoweb

DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER. :mad: :confused: :eek: :mad: enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You have obviously never had personal dealings with the cops. You get something robbed and see what they will do for you. Not very much, unless they can fine you for having a tax disc two days out of date, ot God forbid you to 35kmph in a 30.

Thats why they don't show those bits, boring:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

God forbid you to 35kmph in a 30.

And they always seem to find the rarest of roads in ireland (one in good condition) to stick some rediculously slow speed limit on.

I often wonder at the nature of these programmes like last night I was flicking through the channals and came across 'Boozed up Britain ' think it was on bravo , which follows the usual shannigans of people going out and getting sloshed up and down the towns and citys of Britain . I am no killjoy but jeez.... if there is anything worse then being surrounded by a drunken mob regardess of what city they come from ( a drunken mob is a drunken mob ) it's watching the same stuff on the box .Stick any camera crew around a bunch of drunks and they are going to act for it .....way OTT, just like some other ****ty tv series ' ie, cops on camera , this stuff is toxic viewing and Depressing to watch .

At least we can flick over and change channals and thank f...k to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Louis Theroux was on last night on RTE 2. Then Boston Legal was on albeit a bit late on RTE 1. Great TV.

If you don't like what you are watching change the channel or turn the tv off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Insurgent wrote: »
    Louis Theroux was on last night on RTE 2. Then Boston Legal was on albeit a bit late on RTE 1. Great TV.

If you don't like what you are watching change the channel or turn the tv off.

I cant she just sits there watching back at me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Expresso Bongo

But if I stopped watching tv I'd have nothing to talk to my work colleagues about. I certainly have no interest in discussing their lives.

But if I stopped watching tv I'd have nothing to talk to my work colleagues about. I certainly have no interest in discussing their lives.

I just talk over people I work with. And it's work inferiors, not colleagues.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I just talk over people I work with. And it's work inferiors, not colleagues.
    You must be a very lonely person !!!

Latchy wrote: »
    You must be a very lonely person !!!

It's spelled lovely.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    It's spelled lovely.
    You (yawn) wern't saying

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    You (yawn) wern't saying

Uh. I was kidding. I don't understand what you mean by this though.

Advertisement