Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The government are bastards. right?

Options
  • 04-08-2009 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Bashing the government has become a bigger meme than ever before.

Many reasons are valid. Many are absolute bollocks.

My question is, do you honestly think that any of the other political parties would be any different? Or is it soley the government TD's that are the crooks and the "bastards"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yes, some would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think we'd be the same no matter who's in charge tbh.

Most people have been crooks since the Celtic Tiger years, not just those in charge.

People building 2-3 houses have the cheek to blame the government because they can't pay back loans!

Take them all out back and shoot them I say

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

snyper wrote: »
    My question is, do you honestly think that any of the other political parties would be any different?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

My question is, do you honestly think that any of the other political parties would be any different? Or is it soley the government TD's that are the crooks and the "bastards"
    No, not really. I think all TD's should be professionals in their department, but them again, it's the public who voted them.

The same public who said no to Lisbon without even understanding it.
    The same public who voted Fianna Fáil back into government when they finally had the chance.
    The same public who haven't had a massive protest since the early 1900's.

See? It's our faults for being a retarded majority too.

Ireland would've still gone into a massive recession. It's the decisions that would've changed, and the speed of such things. If another party had the balls to withstand the unions and swaying public opinion in order to do the patriotic thing and save our country, it might've been. Enda Kenny doesn't strike me as a man who has that level of patriotism and self-sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

they would be different in some ways but equally ****e

its not like they could ever hope to please everyone even if they were good at their jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Yes

We need a Pedo-Biffo/Pedo-Brian seal of approval for this thread

Nao !!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I can totally see why the government bastards deserve a thread like this, but there is also a government cnuts thread.
    I would merge but they are both bastards and cnunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

I lol'd

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You get what you vote for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

what's a meme?
    My question is, do you honestly think that any of the other political parties would be any different?

Of course not. Democracy doesn't work the way it was intended to. What we have is not a democracy, it's an elected oligarchy. Same for every other 'civilised' country except Switzerland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They're a bit different to other robbers, bastards and unpopular people insofar as everybody loved them a year or two ago.

Even if they (the voters) all seem to be suffering from collective amnesia about it at the moment.
    Confab wrote: »
    what's a meme?

A mother, said in a culchie accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Daddy tells me no and to keep voting for FF or I'm out of the family*

*may not be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

jumpguy wrote: »
    No, not really. I think all TD's should be professionals in their department, but them again, it's the public who voted them.

The same public who voted Fianna Fáil back into government when they finally had the chance.

+1, i hate you public bstards.

i still can't get my head around where people actually came up with the abortion issue from the lisbon treaty. also, I'd be pretty sure that if there was a general election tomorrow, people would vote FF back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Knee Grow Plz

Many reasons are valid. Many are absolute bollocks.

It is not really a "meme" Just what people are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

It is not really a "meme" Just what people are saying.

World recession - Blaim the government
    Wetest July in 55 years - Blaim the government
    Boyzone getting back together - Blaim the government

Ireland would've still gone into a massive recession. It's the decisions that would've changed, and the speed of such things. If another party had the balls to withstand the unions and swaying public opinion in order to do the patriotic thing and save our country, it might've been. Enda Kenny doesn't strike me as a man who has that level of patriotism and self-sacrifice.

That from a teenager in after hours. There is hope in the world!

you are a teenager....right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Voting YES to Lisbon without understanding it would have been equally stupid.
    In fairness the country was booming at the time and yet still, many many Irish people voted against FF because of them and Bertie's shenanigans. Sadly not enough though.

Persoanlly I think Labour would have handled things a lot better and could do if in power. Eamon Gilmore is an honest man and would do this country and the people justice. However, Ireland doesn't seem to want to adopt a leftist government, even in the midst of this tragedy.

World recession - Blaim the government
    Wetest July in 55 years - Blaim the government
    Boyzone getting back together - Blaim the government

That is not a meme? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

and what's a blaim? :rolleyes:

Blackpitts wrote: »
    and what's a blaim? :rolleyes:

I don't know. Blame spelt wrong?1? Why are you asking me? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Linking your mates to a 1980s pop song when they expected something else is a meme.

Losing 10% of your weekly income

having your social welfare payments cut

being faced with a re-introduction of third level fees

losing your job at short notice because of a financial mess created by others, watching those very people recieve a 'helping hand' from your government so that in the long-term at least they might get their desks back

watching John O' Donoghue basically get away with spending thousands and thousands of tax pays Euros in five star hotels

watching a government hand away billions of euros in natural resources and then use the states security resources to over-see the giveaway

watching a man walk away from a tribunal and back into Fagans for a pint

watching a 'left wing' party get into bed with Fianna Fail and abandon its basic policy papers

and watching thousands of people move closer and closer to taking inevitable strike action is not a meme. It's a fu<king nightmare.

Would it be any different under Fine Gael? Not a hope. Its a Murphys/Beamish situation we're in, no matter which one you get it still leaves a horrible taste in your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatacombKittens

I honestly agree with this. Irish people in my experience are generally childish, apathetic and unpleasant. They have a tendancy to engage in what someone over on the PROC called "Intellectual Vandalism" whenever anyone takes something serious, seriously, joking around with extremely unfunny humour. And then take themselves and imaginary social standards way too seriously.

I've just met so many ditzy Irish people and so few good ones. Even foreigners who stay over here become consumed by our bull**** culture.

sweetheart. my point is people say alot of things, most of it is bollocks based on shoite they hear on the left wing media.

It must be an Irish thing to say the easy thing and go with the flow, without thinking about what they are saying, or perhaps have a spine and stand behind their convictions. It amuses me that the government is elected yet i can think of about 4 people on boards.ie that openly support the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

That from a teenager in after hours. There is hope in the world!

you are a teenager....right?
    Yeah I am. :pac:
    K4t wrote: »
    Voting YES to Lisbon without understanding it would have been equally stupid.
    In fairness the country was booming at the time and yet still, many many Irish people voted against FF because of them and Bertie's shenanigans. Sadly not enough though.

Persoanlly I think Labour would have handled things a lot better and could do if in power. Eamon Gilmore is an honest man and would do this country and the people justice. However, Ireland doesn't seem to want to adopt a leftist government, even in the midst of this tragedy.
    True, voting yes without understanding would've been equally stupid. However, it was the no vote that won hence I said that, I wasn't trying to push my agenda (but I do support Lisbon).
    I remember at the time Bertie's shenanigans weren't the only thing on the voter's mind. The economy was showing signs of danger. Then again, you'd think internal corruption would've been enough to oust a government.
    I agree with you on labour. Eamon Gilmore seems like a genuine, straight-thinking, down-to-earth yet ballsy guy. However, from watching them in interviews (okay, Nightly News With Vincent Brown) they seemed to be just another party criticizing Fianna Fáil over and over and not saying what THEY'D do if the shoe was on the other foot.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Linking your mates to a 1980s pop song when they expected something else is a meme.

Losing 10% of your weekly income Welcome to the global recession, only 10%? You are lucky

having your social welfare payments cut Ive been on it for 6 months its too high, it should be cut

being faced with a re-introduction of third level fees Paying for education?! The Horror!!

losing your job at short notice because of a financial mess created by others, watching those very people recieve a 'helping hand' from your government so that in the long-term at least they might get their desks back

You dont understand the importants of secure banks

watching John O' Donoghue basically get away with spending thousands and thousands of tax pays Euros in five star hotels The Bastard

watching a government hand away billions of euros in natural resources and then use the states security resources to over-see the giveaway

Yea, we should have got on our jcbs and dug it out of the sea ourselves

watching a man walk away from a tribunal and back into Fagans for a pint
    If i was hauled up to a tribunal, id go for a pint after it

watching a 'left wing' party get into bed with Fianna Fail and abandon its basic policy papers
    I agree

Would it be any different under Fine Gael? Not a hope. Its a Murphys/Beamish situation we're in, no matter which one you get it still leaves a horrible taste in your mouth.
    You are being defeatist, based on the belief that all politicians are useless. They're not

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Down with this sort of stuff...:confused:

I agree with you on labour. Eamon Gilmore seems like a genuine, straight-thinking, down-to-earth yet ballsy guy. However, from watching them in interviews (okay, Nightly News With Vincent Brown) they seemed to be just another party criticizing Fianna Fáil over and over and not saying what THEY'D do if the shoe was on the other foot.

Fixed you post there.

Hes a good politician, with poor ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

sweetheart. my point is people say alot of things, most of it is bollocks based on shoite they hear on the left wing media.
    Such a thing still exists in this country?
    It must be an Irish thing to say the easy thing and go with the flow, without thinking about what they are saying, or perhaps have a spine and stand behind their convictions. It amuses me that the government is elected yet i can think of about 4 people on boards.ie that openly support the government.
    They were elected because a few years ago things were all rosy and life was good. Simple as that. There's no big mystery to any of this politics bull****, my friend.

I still don't see the "meme" connection :confused:

A meme being what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We should get rid of every last one of the politicians in Ireland (because most of them are sh1t), and bring in Berlusconi. We could then laugh our way out of recession.

Advertisement