Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TIP's - When should you give them?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Realistically you should never tip, there shouldn't be a need for it. People get a wage and if it's low enough to warrant tips then they're in the wrong career.

I do tip sometimes though. If I have a bit of extra cash to spare

As someone who works in the hotel part of things. I think this is a bit harsh. Even if people already get a wage (a lot of the time at minimum wage) its a nice way of showing gratitude to the effort that people put in. I by no means expect to get tipped at work, but it is certainly appreciated when I do. I don't think it should be a compulsion, but if people serve you well it's a nice thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Realistically you should never tip, there shouldn't be a need for it. People get a wage and if it's low enough to warrant tips then they're in the wrong career.

I do tip sometimes though. If I have a bit of extra cash to spare

If you don't always have 'extra cash to spare', then perhaps you're in the wrong career also?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I only tip the staff at the bank.

Oh and the politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭whos who

I never tip, why give someone extra money for the job they are getting paid to do?? Its not my problem if they dont get paid enough.

Anyway people one word.....recession:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Tipping is nothing more than a self-imposed wealth tax which transfers the burden of ensuring people earn a decent wage from the employer to the customer.

I don't tip.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Jaysus your soft in the head if u tip in Ireland, even in the u.s.a where your expected to tip i dont anymore. I try and short change them never mind give them a tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I don't tip bar staff, never really occures to be tbh.

I use taxi's alot (although I'm off the gargle at the minute so not as much as usual) and I'll tip a taxi driver if the car is clean and he's a bit of craic - why?, because I always check the metered fare and the vast majority of guys round down fares, in the interest of fairness I'll tip.

Other than that, my bin men & postie get a nice little tip at Christmas.

I make a decent wage, I'm not a stongy cunt like some & I know its very un-Irish of me but I don't begrudge another man a wage and I know in these recessionary times a few more cent is greatly appricated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mr.Pong

When they give good service. Or I'm too lazy to wait for the change back. otherwise, i'm not bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mr.Pong

stovelid wrote: »
    If you don't always have 'extra cash to spare', then perhaps you're in the wrong career also?

maybe he means he has cash to spare to spend on himself, and not donate to people who already get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I'll give you a tip......there's no need for the apostrophe in the thread title.

• Advertisement
Advertisement