Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TIP's - When should you give them?

Options
  • 04-08-2009 6:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭

I always tip the barbour after getting my Haircut, but I did'nt yesterday as I felt it was a bit pricey @ €15 for a dry cut, They also stuck the sizzors in me (briefly) and that peed me off and made up my mind, got the feeling he was peed of when I didnt tip him, just wondering whats appropiate, if it was €13 I might have left him the €2, just wondering what the opinions of customers and people in the service industry are, with the recession people are obviously more careful now with their money needless to say!!!.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If it stops someone spitting in your food then its a good idea. People who work in a place of hair-cuttage but don't own said establishment themselves should get some small tip if you are happy with the service. Anyone who sticks a scissors in your ears, not so much.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Bosco boy wrote: »
    I always tip the barbour after getting my Haircut, but I did'nt yesterday as I felt it was a bit pricey @ €15 for a dry cut, They also stuck the sizzors in me (briefly) and that peed me off and made up my mind, got the feeling he was peed of when I didnt tip him, just wondering whats appropiate, if it was €13 I might have left him the €2, just wondering what the opinions of customers and people in the service industry are, with the recession people are obviously more careful now with their money needless to say!!!.:confused:

Yeh i guess since it's a service that requires a skill you should tip. In your case though since there was hardly any skill put into your haircut, you shouldn't have to. Why should you pay extra for a cut scalp?

All the depends on the quality of service.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

If I got a really amazing hair cut or meal or something I'd tip, but as a general rule I don't. I've never tipped a hairdresser actually, I always feel to awkward to do it if there's not a tip jar or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I always tip, probably too much 10-15%, but then again I've never had a bad haircut or bad experience and they've plenty of scissors nearby:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Only in circumstances where you get exceptionally good service or have a large group of people. Tipping otherwise allows employers to get away with paying their employees less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I tip for restaurants and my hairdresser mainly. Sometimes in a bar, I always do in cocktail bars, although last time I did she looked SO shocked when I let her keep the €5 lol. i stopped doing it for my waxer cause she's let me down lately, haven't been that ahppy - I should change but you can't beat the price lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Realistically you should never tip, there shouldn't be a need for it. People get a wage and if it's low enough to warrant tips then they're in the wrong career.

I do tip sometimes though. If I have a bit of extra cash to spare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Its not complicated guys. TIP when you feel that you got great service and then tip as a sign of appreciation. People who expect tips are dicks and should be taken done a peg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hasn't this Should I tip and how much thread come up multiple times in the past few months?

you should never tip in ireland, wages are high enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

you tip when you get good service, its supposed to be a reward for such

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Very rarely. The fact that it is expected defeats the whole purpose of a tip.

I never tip. Although I don't have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I tip when it's of benefit to me. I know that sounds nasty but meh.. The delivery driver, waiter bar person etc. will get a tip so that they will take care of me in the future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Tips? In Ireland? Some people have more money than sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I only tip in the hospitality sector!

usueally 2 euros

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If you're in a foreign country and you are paying by CC, how do you tip them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Reach for both ankles and grab tight, then carefully rotate said person 180° before release

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I usually tip in restaurants if the service has been good, 10% or round it up if its an odd amount.

I tip barstaff in really busy pubs or eg at weddings so they will (and usually do) look after you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

tipping is bull****, ive heard in some countries large groups in restaurants always get a discount and not a mandatory 15% service charge. bull****. really hate tipping waiters seeing as i worked in a kitchen and made 10times less that waiters for the same hours and i believe more work!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

TIP's - When should you give them?

When the service is above the norm', when the person does that little bit extra, when the service come with a genuine smile, when the wife slaps me on the back of the head for being a miserable old bugger!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

adamski8 wrote: »
    and made 10times less that waiters for the same hours and i believe more work!!!

Why didn't you work the floor instead, so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I came home from America yesterday and when the guy in the airport checked in my bags, like they do in every fcuking airport in the world, he turned around and actually asked for a tip. When I told him I didn't have any dollars left as I was going home, he said he hoped my bags ended up in Ireland with me then, implying that maybe they wouldn't.

Tipping is bullsh*t, people get paid and they shouldn't get any extra money from anybody for doing what they are already being paid for. That said, if someone goes out of their way for you, then I understand it but again, not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

moonflower wrote: »
    If I got a really amazing hair cut or meal or something I'd tip, but as a general rule I don't. I've never tipped a hairdresser actually, I always feel to awkward to do it if there's not a tip jar or something

+1

Ireland is not a low-minimum-wage economy like the US: tips are not essential here in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They hand you the snazzly little portable terminal thing that you PIN needs to go in to, but before you enter the PIN you need to enter the tip value!

But actually they'd rather that you tipped in cash, 'cos that way they won't lose 6% (or whatever) to the CC company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Its very different in US.

Here if the service is above the norm i'll usually tip something.

Although little suggestion. Always tip well the driver of your take away place the 1st couple of times. Usually makes the food come faster in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Only tip in restaurants,wouldn't be tipping bar staff/barbers or taxi drivers if I use a taxi, always have the right amount with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Only tip in restaurants,wouldn't be tipping bar staff/barbers or taxi drivers if I use a taxi, always have the right amount with me.

I usually tip taxi drivers if they manage to hold a decent conversation or at least attempt to.

Also because i figure if i drop anything in the cab they'd be more inclinded to try and get it back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Agent J wrote: »
    I usually tip taxi drivers if they manage to hold a decent conversation or at least attempt to.

I usually tip them if they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I tipped my waxer recently for a particularly good crack & sack clear out.

I hadn't time to "scope out" before going in and in fairness the cress was a tad tangled and matted.

Got no complaint and the only hint of anything out of order was a jug of Dettol brought up to steep the implements and a spittoon like receptacle discreetly moved into the vicinity.

"Sitting in soft raisins were we Mr Flutter" was his only hint of annoyance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I pay the full price and usually say thank you. I might say it twice if the service is very good.

Advertisement