Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The World has become a little sadder..."

Options
  • 04-08-2009 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

The title of this thread comes from an endless amount of commentators and pundits lately referring to people like Jade Goody, Michael Jackson and Sir Bobby Robson.

I was watching Sky News (I know, big mistake there) when a reporter commented on the passing of Bobby Robson has caused the World to become a little sadder. A sentiment that has become synonymous with the death of any celebrity these days and has got me thinking.
    If the World is getting sadder by the day, we must be on our way to living in a ****in' **** hole. What makes it worse, the World is in an economic depression right now and all those A-listers are ****ing off out of here.
    And if the World keeps on getting sadder, we may as well start "off-ing" ourselves now to saves us from any more grief and despair the passing of these celebrities bestow upon us.

I remember the news was about seeing how low down the news girl's blouse was buttoned down, (or if it was see through for that matter) while she eloquently spoke about the affairs of "across the water". None of this doom and gloom and our inevitable plummet into an abyss of depression and sadness.

When was the last time the World got a little happier? I say ****'em, they are dead and I am alive, and that makes me pretty ****ing happy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Ranting and Raving -->

Whatever you think of the coverage of a person, they've died so at least feign some respect for the dead.

But agreed there is too much nonsense around these days - endless obituary programmes. A mention on the news is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm a little sadder after reading that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

In fairness its justified in the case of Bobby Robson, he was the true gentlemen of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Thought most of us laughed when Jade died?.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

seanybiker wrote: »
    And my friends made Michael Jackson jokes for weeks.
    Its the circle of celebrity life. Although I don't know who Bobby Robson is

Besides, watching the news is overrated. No news is good news nowadays:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Senna wrote: »
    In fairness its justified in the case of Bobby Robson, he was the true gentlemen of football.

True
    seanybiker wrote: »

Also true

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Liber8or wrote: »
    The title of this thread comes from an endless amount of commentators and pundits lately referring to people like Jade Goody, Michael Jackson and Sir Bobby Robson.

I was watching Sky News (I know, big mistake there) when a reporter commented on the passing of Bobby Robson has caused the World to become a little sadder. A sentiment that has become synonymous with the death of any celebrity these days and has got me thinking.
    If the World is getting sadder by the day, we must be on our way to living in a ****in' **** hole. What makes it worse, the World is in an economic depression right now and all those A-listers are ****ing off out of here.
    And if the World keeps on getting sadder, we may as well start "off-ing" ourselves now to saves us from any more grief and despair the passing of these celebrities bestow upon us.

I remember the news was about seeing how low down the news girl's blouse was buttoned down, (or if it was see through for that matter) while she eloquently spoke about the affairs of "across the water". None of this doom and gloom and our inevitable plummet into an abyss of depression and sadness.

When was the last time the World got a little happier? I say ****'em, they are dead and I am alive, and that makes me pretty ****ing happy.

Very funny post

LMFAO!

No matter who it is how nice they were or how many times they showed us their kebabs the news just loves a good exageration keeps the news slots filled in for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm not sad. The world is one weepy annoying ****, it's sad all the time. Michael Jackson dying was the only celebrity death a modestly cared about. That was modest. It's all good here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Very sad for a lot of Dub fans today.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Bobby Robson's quotes were legendary, please don't compare a dancing child encroacher or an ugly Kojack to that man.

He even made Newcastle look good.

Wait, I think that was a bit over-the-top. The Newcastle thing I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

When was the last time the World got a little happier?

When Wispas were re-released?
    Senna wrote: »

+1
    It's strange, but I got a lump in my throat when I heard the news. There isn't one ounce of bad news that could be said about the guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

Liber8or, I might be able to help you out there because anyone who compares Jade Goody and Michael Jackson with a ture legend like Sir Bobby deserves to be shot.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jade Goody an A list celebrity? Lord help us, the world really is a sad place if that was ever true. If being famous for being stupid, then racist, then dead is all it takes, there are quite a list there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

referring to people like Jade Goody, Michael Jackson and Sir Bobby Robson.

WHAT?? they are dead??? :(:(

I just bought 3 tickets for MJ off my mates!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Jaysus, a lot of people misunderstanding what I am saying.

I am merely commenting on what mediators and other commentators have described regarding these events and how the world is become sadder which each passing. As in, the ridiculous hyperbole and emphasis on depression that digresses from day to day news. And if we add up all this "sadness", technically the Earth is one gloomly place and we are heading to an unavoidable abyss of misery.

I do not rate Jade Goody or Michael Jackson as A Class celebrities, but for some reason, the news does. And when they die, the world becomes a sadder place. Yet, there is never a mention of the world getting happier, therefore, happiness is impossible and each celebrity death is a proverbial nail in the coffin encapsulating this World.

Fair ****s to Sir Bobby though, beating cancer 4 times previously. Nevertheless, I am sick of all this crap about the World becoming a sadder place. Makes the living wanna kill themselves since it ain't happy to be here, according to how newspapers and news channels describe the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Well, when you watch Sky News you have to accept that most of what's been presented to you is emitted from a gigantic sensationalistic sphincter, and they want you to be as worried and as saddened as possible by showing you everything that's going wrong in the world!

K-Ren wrote: »
    Well, when you watch Sky News you have to accept that most of what's been presented to you is emitted from a gigantic sensationalistic sphincter, and they want you to be as worried and as saddened as possible by showing you everything that's going wrong in the world!

Dude, these events invade every channel and every newspaper. Sky News is just one example. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Hoi You lot,
    Jade Goody being mourned was a bad thing for exactly what reason?

was she an inferior creature because she had the misfortune to be lacking education?or was it she was considered *not the brightest bulb in the shade*?

if so what a smug lot you are!

R.I.P Bobby,looks like Ireland needs gentle people like You were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Bobby Robson was a real gent, a very fine human being.

• Advertisement

ynotdu wrote: »
    Hoi You lot,
    Jade Goody being mourned was a bad thing for exactly what reason?

Because a woman who contributed absolutely "**** all" to the World was given the royal treatment in send offs. A woman who was racist, stupid and generally a waste of space sold herself to the media for money and it doesn't matter if it was for her kids - are they incapable of getting careers and looking after themselves when they get older?

People die from cancer every day and have probably (if not most likely) led better lives and examples for society than her, but they don't get any media attention. Why?

Yet, the world became a sadder place when she died... As one poster already said, most people laughed. So maybe it didn't become that sad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

You know, most people wouldnt hate her as much if the papers didnt have stupid crap in about her for months. bla bla bla jade goody is dyin blablabla jade goody has days to live blablabla jade goody jade goody blablabla

Im happy she is dead, terrible thing to say about someone but jesus she was always in your face when you open any news papers.......and that was before she had cancer, you know i wouldnt mind if she was in the paper for a good reason, but she was in it every day for nothing and they are still yapping on about her.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If the entire world is sad now, how did it feel after challenger or Munich or god forbid, a world war? Everything in perspective, please!

Tragic, yes. World-history changing, not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Wouldnt give a flying f**k about Jade Goody or Whacko Jacko.

But Bobby Robson is certainly a big loss.

how the fcuk do people know what she contributed over her short life outside of the media spotlight?
    excuse her if she knew she would not see her children grow up and her maternal instincts(even when she was in much pain)led her to setting up a trust fund for them by whatever way she could raise money,the media went for it,so i guess that makes them bigger *fools*than her?(with their university degree,s)

Yes she made silly racist remarks,yes she liked the limelight(who does,nt?)
    at least some of her silly stuff can be put down to lack of education,
    what excuse have many of the well educated in Ireland whose quotes are just as racist but phrased in a more sophisticated way got?

even at her careless worst she was never as cruel as some of the posters here.

How do you know what she did outside the media spotlight ?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Wouldnt give a flying f**k about Jade Goody or Whacko Jacko.

But Bobby Charlton is certainly a big loss.

Jaysis, Bobby Charlton too? Bad week for old football folk called Bobby :P

Bobby Robson though did seem like a genuinely brilliant person for all the right reasons.

5starpool wrote: »
    Jaysis, Bobby Charlton too? Bad week for old football folk called Bobby :P

Bobby Robson though did seem like a genuinely brilliant person for all the right reasons.

Feck off its nearly half three in the morning :D

How do you know what she did outside the media spotlight ?

She is dead.
    does it matter what a working class uneducated girl done outside of the *media spotlight*
    why not just leave her to R.I.P(and if there is a creator,let her answer to that entity?)

some people are easy to pick on,ar,nt they?

• Advertisement

Feck off its nearly half three in the morning :D

Lol We all need some understanding for our *weak moments*:);)

Advertisement