Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being seventeen while everyone else is eighteen.

• 03-08-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Is quite possibly the most annoying thing ever. I will not speak anymore on the subject as I am quite annoyed and will say something that will get me banned:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Its crap ain't it? Not being able to vote and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Haha, I know how ya feel. Most of my friends are 18 or will be in the next few months, I aint 18 till january. It's not too bad for me coz I don't have much problems getting to pubs etc, just the nightclubs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I only went 18 on friday and my the last of my good friends had gone 18 in march.
    its bad but it aint half as bad as it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Reillyman wrote: »
    Haha, I know how ya feel. Most of my friends are 18 or will be in the next few months, I aint 18 till january. It's not too bad for me coz I don't have much problems getting to pubs etc, just the nightclubs...

Haha, It's the nightclubs I care about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I really don't like being 17 - so very close to being 18, but still not 18. It's insanely frustrating at times, especially when practically all your friends are 18.

I also look about 5, which doesn't help at all. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Sure, you wouldn't even know if all that drinking and nightclub stuff is even any good if you're under 18. I mean, how could possibly know if you've never tried any of that stuff!?[/innocent]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Not being 18 sucks full stop.

(I'll look back at this in years to come, sigh and think of how foolish I was).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Yeah, a lot of my friend's are a good bit older than me.
    My best friend turned 20 the other day and I'm still only 18.

So yeah. I was 16 when she/ other friends were 18. How bad.

Obviously, I can't offer any advice on how to make this better for you, but there are ways and means to get into nightclubs and such before you should. Or so I hear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Being 18 is over-rated. It really is. Part of the fun of being 17 was getting into nightclubs/served as an underager. Although I can't stand seeing underagers around the nightclub I work in, they're only kids. Let them have a bitta fun.

I'm 19 now, and I still wish I was 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I'm not looking forward to it tbh.Everyone will be turning 18 while I'll be turning 17:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

bythewoods wrote: »
    Yeah, a lot of my friend's are a good bit older than me.
    My best friend turned 20 the other day and I'm still only 18.

So yeah. I was 16 when she/ other friends were 18. How bad.

Obviously, I can't offer any advice on how to make this better for you, but there are ways and means to get into nightclubs and such before you should. Or so I hear...

Haha, why do I doubt your methods will work for a guy? Am I just assuming too much about innocent bythewoods?:p

On topic most nightclubs are a doddle to get into but there is always one and it's usually the popular one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I don't turn 18 till march, and most of my friends are turning now or in a month or two. It's a balls alright =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Haha, why do I doubt your methods will work for a guy? Am I just assuming too much about innocent bythewoods?:p

That's exactly what I was getting at.
    Just flash the bouncer, works a charm every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

andyman wrote: »
    Being 18 is over-rated. It really is. Part of the fun of being 17 was getting into nightclubs/served as an underager. Although I can't stand seeing underagers around the nightclub I work in, they're only kids. Let them have a bitta fun.

I'm 19 now, and I still wish I was 17.

I completely agree... being underage was all part of the fun when trying to get into pubs/nightclubs.. the anticipation and nervousness beforehand, learning off all the details on the ID you borrowed and finding out what star sign the date of birth would make you then standing in the queue thinking "Oh my God, will I get in? Will I get in?" then trying to act all calm in case the bouncer asks for your date of birth and the feeling or sheer exhilaration/relief when you get in...those were the days!:D

When you're 18+, going out loses a lot of the excitement.. you know you'll just stroll on up to the door and get in without any problems unless you look a bit rough or are too outta your bin to stand up properly.

I'm 19 now and wish I was still 17 - it was such a great age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I didn't mind being 17 until I got to college. Spending 3 and a half months in college where the whole social scene pretty much revolves around alcohol was not fun.

Then I turned 18, realised the whole social scene was overrated and subsequently remained an unsociable bastard most of the time.

Now I'm gonna be 20 in 4 months and dreading it because I'll feel really old.

So I guess the point of this waffle is: no matter what age you are, you'll wish you were a different age. Or at least that's how it was for me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'll be finished my first year in college before I turn 18 next June, so I'm not looking forward to that, since I hear that up in the Pale they actually check ID if you look underage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I'll be finished my first year in college before I turn 18 next June, so I'm not looking forward to that, since I hear that up in the Pale they actually check ID if you look underage.
    They do that in Galway too,I had a year of being 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

haha yeh it really sucks being young in college...whereas im the complete opposite (was 19 when i started college and turned 20 just before xmas), a few of my best friends only turned 18 in the summer (after finishing 1st year). theres a lot worse that can happen so dont worry about it all lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Yeah it was awful for me too, till I turned 18... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm seventeen aswel and know how you feel but luckily i have other friends the same age. It'll be a different story in a couple of months though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Being 16 when all of your friends are 18 or 19 kinda sucks too :pac:

Enjoy being seventeen, it's one of the best ages. Being eighteen -- and legal -- is overhyped. Getting into nightclubs/pubs etc. gets boring pretty quickly; the fun of being seventeen is the thrill of trying to get into pubs/clubs (I'm not advocating that, though). I'm twenty now, and I wish I could be seventeen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I don't think I'll like being 18 all that much. I'm kind of indifferent to the whole thing. It's over a year away,but yeah. Pubs/clubs aren't my thing anyway.
    I can't wait to turn 17 though! Which is kind of silly,really. It's not like anything will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

ill be 17 for the first 2 weeks of college....crap! but its the best feeling when you get into a niteclub when your underage. i'm affraid ill lose that when i turn 18, but sure you can always try to get into over 21 places after you turn 18.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Best Feelings in the world.

1. Getting in to a nightclub underage huge buzz:D

2. I just turned 18 thursday last week went out saterday guy who never lets me into the local night club (ever:mad:) asks me for Id felt like laughing when he saw I was 18:D

I missed that buzz though of knowing your not aloud in there:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

I just got a brain-wave;)

next week for lc results night im leaving my Id at home, going to see if I can get in

Secoundrow wrote: »
    I just got a brain-wave;)

next week for lc results night im leaving my Id at home, going to see if I can get in

Haha! You'd need some cajones to do that, might end up regretting it. Hope it goes well for ya!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Deedeecupcake

It works the other way around. I'm not eighteen yet but i'm the oldest of my friends and have to wait a whole extra year till i can go to oxygen so they can catch up :(

It works the other way around. I'm not eighteen yet but i'm the oldest of my friends and have to wait a whole extra year till i can go to oxygen so they can catch up :(

You only have to be 17 to go to oxegen:confused: And anyway, being older is never a bad thing, now your gonna be the cool one who buys all the booze!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lendrew1

I'm 17 and most of my friends have turned 18 during the summer. I've to wait till april:mad:

Still nothing beats the feeling when you get the 'sacred nod' from a bouncer a to let you into a pub/nightclub:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Im the opposite, im the oldest of my friends and they are all 16/17 I be 18 in a few months, but all my friends go to the teenage discos still and i have to go too cos like they wont go out untill there 18 cos like there goody-two shoes. Then i see others in my year heading into the pubs and that and im going to the teenage discos it just kinda sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Der 17 and still go Teenage discos??

Wer I live teenage discos attract ppl from the ages of 12-15... 16/17 yr olds either knacker drink, drink in someones gaf or else get a fake id and hope for the best!.......or else dont drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Well any girls needn't be worried about clubs, if you show some skin the bouncers will let you in even if you look 15, in my experience anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Im the opposite, im the oldest of my friends and they are all 16/17 I be 18 in a few months, but all my friends go to the teenage discos still and i have to go too cos like they wont go out untill there 18 cos like there goody-two shoes. Then i see others in my year heading into the pubs and that and im going to the teenage discos it just kinda sucks.

You need new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Just send 18 yr old friends up to the bar to get the rounds in...that's what I do or get ****faced before hand and you don't look nervous if you go to the pub/nightclub cause you really couldn't give a continental ****!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Sophsxxx wrote: »
    Just send 18 yr old friends up to the bar to get the rounds in...that's what I do or get ****faced before hand and you don't look nervous if you go to the pub/nightclub cause you really couldn't give a continental ****!!:D

exactly !works fine in my books ha

Teutorix wrote: »
    Well any girls needn't be worried about clubs, if you show some skin the bouncers will let you in even if you look 15, in my experience anyway.

Ha ye all girls have to do is throw on abit of makeup and a mini skirt and they'll mre or likely get in... EASY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Yea well the majority are 16, cos i stay a year behind.
    I wouldnt change my friends for the world,i Just have to wait when i finished the leavin and meet new ppl in college and can go out with them.
    Thats life anyway, you dont get what you always want.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

once you hit 18 its irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Stephen Esquire

Yeah I was 17 for all of 6th year.I got a nice birthday present in the form of a day off with English PII being postponed :D But I missed out on graduation night so that sucked. Just be patient and go to loads of 18ths and free gaffs to keep you sane!

• Advertisement

two months to go, and im in college now. Thats going to be two tough months right there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Ugh I turned 18 two weeks ago and allot of my friends are still 17..blah,I do have plnety to go with in pubs adn clubs but my most of my closer friends arent 18 for a few months :(

Now that I'm 18 I dont really like drinking random nights because well,I'm legal to buy it so theres no fun in getting it and I feel like a wino((Im only 18 and I sound 30 there :L :L :L))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

two months to go, and im in college now. Thats going to be two tough months right there!

8 months to go for me:mad::mad:

Im goin to turn 18 when the college year is over.....sickening!! Still at least il be 18 for next summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cGirl

I'm 17 and look it, but I'm fine with that. I confine my drinking to mine and my friends houses for the moment, because I'm not chancing getting turned away at the door of the nightclubs. :D

I'm a little anxious about Freshers Week though, if everyone decides to go on the lash around town I probably won't get a look in, because I'd have no false ID and my real ID would be no good.

cGirl wrote: »
    I'm 17 and look it, but I'm fine with that. I confine my drinking to mine and my friends houses for the moment, because I'm not chancing getting turned away at the door of the nightclubs. :D

I'm a little anxious about Freshers Week though, if everyone decides to go on the lash around town I probably won't get a look in, because I'd have no false ID and my real ID would be no good.

same here...im hoping there will be house parties..i have to hold out till november!!

same here...im hoping there will be house parties..i have to hold out till november!!
    I've ta hold out to March!!!

Way prefer gaf parties tho I dont mind Niteclubs

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    I've ta hold out to March!!!

Way prefer gaf parties tho I dont mind Niteclubs

MARCH:eek::eek:
    ya house parties are usually way more fun...prefer pubs to nightclubs!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Ha ye all girls have to do is throw on abit of makeup and a mini skirt and they'll mre or likely get in... EASY

You make it sound like a 2min job!! :D
    In order to get to that stage it probably took a few days of shopping, where you see the outfit, try it on go home. Back the next day and ask everyones opinion on it then the next day buy it!!

And then the make up... probs took hours to do :D:D
    Least being a fella you don't have to worry about being 100% perfect looking!

deise_girl wrote: »
    Least being a fella you don't have to worry about being 100% perfect looking!

it just comes natural too us cant be helped!!:pac::pac::p

Advertisement