Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricks played on apprentices?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

In accountancy offices, it was common practice to send young trainees to the Companies Office in Dublin Castle for a "Stamp for a Verbal Agreement."

Other one's I have heard of -
    send the young guy up to the office for "the key for the yard" - the yard was not eclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Not a prank, but a funny with a newbie.
    On a site my friend was working on, the young lad was sent to the shop for the lunch break. One bloke have him a twenty and asked for a packet of johnny blue and 5 singles with the change. The young lad came back with 5 bags of chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

When I worked in a kitchen we had the new guy chopping flour for an hour before the boss caught him

i once sent a commie chef to ask the owners wife had she seen the lobster feed

I also sent a KP to get breaded chicken beeks from the freazer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Went to school with a guy like that. One day the lads sent him up to the woodwork teacher to ask for a round square, a glass hammer and 12 rubber nails.

I was told to ask for a glass hammer one day in woodwork too. :o It happened circa five years ago and it's still brought up whenever I meet that particular gang of friends from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

When I was on Work Experience in a bacteriology lab the guys "accidentally" dropped some agar plates and let on that we'd all been infected with E. coli or some such. I only believed them for a second :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Working in a hangar in dublin a while back, two apprentices were left sitting on scaffold minding the radio,

Lets call them steve and shane, so anyway, someone texted into the radio station that was tuned in.

About 15 mins later the DJ calls out, "This one is for stephen and shane working in dublin airport."

And preceeded to play this song.....Link

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

when i was about 20 , working in a shop in town, a young lad, no more than 13 came into the shop with a shopping list. he asked me for a pack of condoms, a pack of elastic bands, and a pack of smokes. either someone was playing a trick on him or he had a small ....... ahem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Spore

Chap in a mechanics was told to ask the grumpy old harridan of a forewoman
    for a tool called "the menopause"
    She punched him. He cried.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

best i heard was some guy was going to mop the floor and was sent out for a bottle of ethnic cleanser and if they didn't have that just get a bottle of genocide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Was sent to the local shop to get a long stand....same night I was sent to get 1000 ice cubes :mad: Cant believe I fell for two of them in one night....but the fun Ive had with new lounge staff doing the same things :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I got caught out with the skirting ladder one when I was a young lad.

In a place I worked in, the printers used to shrink wrap the apprentices for fun.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The classic from the world of tanks is to give the FNG a ballpeen hammer and a piece of chalk, and tell him to check for soft spots in the armour. If he finds one, he's to circle it, for the mechanics to have a look at. Return in 20 minutes, find out how many he's found.

Other famous ones are warming up the crosswind sensor (Done by straddling the thing, which is a vertical tube, and rubbing vigorously up and down) and checking the suspension by jumping up and down on the engine deck. (Like a 200lb man will budge a 70-ton tank). Best I've seen so far is to send a guy (2LT in this case) to go looking for the front slope wear gauge, after going through a few bushes and trees. That kept him going almost three weeks.

A nearly-unique feature of the Abrams tank is that it has a jet engine. Get a guy to try to trap the exhaust in a bag for submission to the Army Exhaust Analysis Programme. (There's an Army Oil Analysis Programme). One that sounds fake, but isn't, is to tell a crewman to pump up the tracks.

Have a soldier guard an aircraft flight line overnight at an airshow. Make sure the new guy's the last one on shift. Next morning, have pilots get into aircraft, then one calls over to the other pilot loud enough for the soldier to hear. "Hey Joe! I can't find the keys. Are yours in your jet?"
    Cue conversation along the lines of:
    "Yeah, mine are here. Why? Aren't yours in the switch?"
    "No, they're not here."
    "Maybe your crew chief took them for some reason."
    "Maybe..." (Wait for crew chief to show up) "Hey Sgt Smith. Where are the keys?"
    "In the aircraft, sir"
    "No, they're not here."
    "They were there when I left last night, Sir"
    "Well, they're not here now. We had a guard on these, right?"

You get the idea.
    "Oi! Soldier! Get over here! Where the F&$& are the keys to this aircraft? You've been guarding it, right? Where the %^$%# are they?" (Continue until satisfaction is reached)

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Dean09 wrote: »
    That reminds me we also sent him to the shop to ask for strawberry lilets! :D

They get me with that one in my first week... The old lady behind the counter nearly had a stroke :eek:

EDIT: Oh look 1,001. I've joined the ranks of the anti-social :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My brother's friend apparently put one of the apprentices in the boot of his car and did donuts around the car park for an hour :D Kinda OTT, but the guy is kind of a lunatic, so it's quite likely he did it

I know a man who was working on a building site and was told to fill the dumper with diesel. For anybody who doesn't know, this is a dumper... http://www.milleniumplant.com/uploaded_images/dumper-721225.JPG
    He filled the front bucket with petrol and it cost hundreds of euros worth in fuel.

I've heard that story so many times, by so many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

When I worked in a kitchen we had the new guy chopping flour for an hour before the boss caught him

Like the guy at work who was shaving kiwi's for a good half an hour.
    The ice cube machine/beer mat stocktake always got the younger one's!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

God, my parents used to send me off to the neighbours house to ask for a long stand, and sky hooks. I was about 10.
    Evil I tell ya, they'd be watching me from the window, and be on the floor laughing when I got home. I still didn't cop on! :o

Tell them to go to the shop and ask for clitoris drops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I use to work for the Irish Light house service, we had some crackers. We would send the appretices to look for the dury free on the Granuale. Another one was to get them to release the fog from the fog locker to test out the fog horns. Bucket of steam another one, skirt board ladders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

In a tailors: Both had them done to me, and did them to others in turn. Ususally on the very first day cause people genuinely have no idea the complicated shiz in a tailors work room, so anything at all sounds reasonable.

Send for tartan thread. (Like the stripey spray pain, sadly manufactures make tartan thread now)

Send for invisible thread. (Used to a machine called a feller "faked" a invisible stitch, now you can buy invisible thread :( )

Sent for a glass hammer.

Bucket of steam for the steam presser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Many years ago I was working in a TV/Hifi shop while preparing for college. The shop also had a workshop for repairs.
    The engineer there did a nice one on me one day.
    He was up on stepladder fixing something that was attached to the ceiling - I guess a light or so, can't remember. So he says to me while being fully stretched out holding the bits he was supposedly fixing if I could grab the screwdriver from the pocket of his work coat and hand it to him.
    So I say no prob and put my hand into his pocket and - wham - he had a fully loaded capacitor the size of a fkn torch in there.

Only then I realized the whole shop was in on it and they were all watching and laughing their arses off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Best one I heard:

A nurse was on night duty at Tygerberg Hospital in Cape Town. There was a patient with a heart condition, and she was keeping an eye on him.

Another patient came in in the early hours of the morning, 'found' a stethoscope, and listened to the pateints heart. The nurse walked in, saw this and thought it was one of the patients from the 'mentally chalenged' ward, who had got out and was walking around the hospital. So, she goes up to the guy and aks him if he can hear the heart beating - she said 'it goes doef-doef, doef-doef'.

The next morning she told everyone about this mad patient who had walked in in the night and listened to her patients heart.

Two days later when the doctors came on rounds, Dr. Christian Bernard was with them, and that is when the nurse realized that it was him who had been listening to the heart patients heart. Dr. Bernard was in Tugerberg Hospital for a routine procedure, and as he could not sleep, he decided to check on one or two of his patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

Sent a newbie for steam cubes. A newbie in the hairdressers was sent from Grafton Street to Stephens Green branch with a bag of steam (cig smoke)

Love the ice cube machine stock take :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Got a lad to get a foot pump for the bubble in a level. He was sent round the site for about ten minuites from one person to another until someone told him the truth. Another was to send a new apprentice to get the triangle of impedance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Or the apprentice mechanic who was asked to gease the rubber on those squeaky wiper blades, and did!

In one place I worked all the safety glasses had dark blue frames. Guys would smear on a thin layer of dark blue ink around the inside edge of lens and nose bridge. Loads of blue-eyed apprentices, and a few other guys who let their guard slip too.:D

The older guys would go up to apprentices and give them an encouraging or friendly (not toooooo friendly mind) pat on the back. Cue a few young lads walking around oblivious to the embarassing stickers stuck to their backs all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I was told one time that the absentee owner of the hotel I worked in was very casual and to address him by his first name whenever he would call around, turns out he was know as Mr. X to everyone and there I was calling him by his first name, he was not impressed.

I know a plumber who sent his apprentice for rubbers (rubber seals) and he arrived back with the inevitable.

Can of hot air is another one

When my aunt worked in the US on her 1st day as a homecarer she was asked by the elderly woman for a "Pitcher (Jug) of Water and the post (New York Post Newspaper).

My aunt landed back with picture of a yacht on the water and all her envelopes and mail. :pac:

A young fella at a petrol station put a drum of gas into an americans boot for him when he asked for Gas (Gasoline - Petrol).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

boss tried to send me off for ropes for hanging doors
    didnt work

Advertisement