Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricks played on apprentices?

Options
  • 01-08-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭

I just remembered something that happened a couple of years ago. While we were all working we got the new apprentice to go down to the motor factors to ask for a flux capacitor. He did this and made a tit of himself! We also done the old classics on him like getting him to ask for sky hooks, a bucket of steam, a can of stripey spray paint and sent him to the shop to get a soup sandwich etc. :p
    So it got me thinking.....does anybody else have funny stories or tricks played on you as an apprentice/newbie in work??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Sounds like he's genuinely retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Sounds like he's genuinely retarded.
    He wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the toolbox.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dean09 wrote: »
    does anybody else have funny stories or tricks played on you as an apprentice/newbie in work??

No.

Except that time we got that lad with meat spin - but I ain't saying anymore than that!. (he counted to nearly fifty before the penny dropped).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

One of my sisters worked in a shop near a garage.
    This young lad came in getting snacks for the lads and asks her if she has any "chocolate ovaries". She fell around the place laughing at the idiot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

he should have came to me. I have plenty of flux capacitors and deloreans here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What like the long stand and the glass hammer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭irelandrover

When I worked in a kitchen we had the new guy chopping flour for an hour before the boss caught him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

A skirting board ladder

A long stand

Left handed screwdriver

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

oh the memories

did the stand at one work place, th eguy in the stores wrapped up an empty box, gave it a part number and sent the guy back

appearently one can buy soup sandwiches these days!

chololate fireguard
    underwater hairdryer

to mention but a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

trad wrote: »
    A long stand

Its very long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

a bucket of sparks for the angle grinder

a bubble for the spirit level
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Dean09 wrote: »
    He wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the toolbox.....
    Went to school with a guy like that. One day the lads sent him up to the woodwork teacher to ask for a round square, a glass hammer and 12 rubber nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

One of my sisters worked in a shop near a garage.
    This young lad came in getting snacks for the lads and asks her if she has any "chocolate ovaries". She fell around the place laughing at the idiot.
    That reminds me we also sent him to the shop to ask for strawberry lilets! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

A tin of compression.

A box of elbow grease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I know a man who was working on a building site and was told to fill the dumper with diesel. For anybody who doesn't know, this is a dumper... http://www.milleniumplant.com/uploaded_images/dumper-721225.JPG
    He filled the front bucket with petrol and it cost hundreds of euros worth in fuel. Another day he was asked to paint some windows-I'm sure you can work out what happened that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

...I'm sure you can work out what happened that time.

Dunblane?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I know a man who was working on a building site and was told to fill the dumper with diesel. For anybody who doesn't know, this is a dumper...

He was told to do something as part of his job and he did it? It's not the employees fault, it's the supervisors' fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

snubbleste wrote: »
    He was told to do something as part of his job and he did it? It's not the employees fault, it's the supervisors' fault.

If you were told to 'fill a car with petrol' would you attempt to fill it through the window? Because thats how retarded filling the bucket of the dumper with diesel was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The man in the hardware shop up the street was often sent people to get a "long weight", to which the witty old sod would reply, "ok, wait there, I'll be back............."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Working in bar a while back I got a young fella, who was the glass collector, to polish all the empty kegs for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

in the pub i used to work in we got a new lounge boy to wash the beer mats

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Took me while to find it, but got a laugh from me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2vD-MDslYc&feature=related

Kevin (Bloody) Wlson The Apprentice

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

If you were told to 'fill a car with petrol' would you attempt to fill it through the window? Because thats how retarded filling the bucket of the dumper with diesel was.

Some people need very clear and precise instructions. Surely someone would have seen him filling the dumper with petrol, I mean it would probably take a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

sunnyside wrote: »
    Some people need very clear and precise instructions. Surely someone would have seen him filling the dumper with petrol, I mean it would probably take a while.

It was obviously you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Working in a hotel and the bar manager was showing me how to change kegs.
    Then he got me to call Diagio to order a fallopian tube :o

And one of the girls in reception ordered French letters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Brother was sent to the diy shop to get a fallopian tube when he was 16 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

mikemac wrote: »
    Working in a hotel and the bar manager was showing me how to change kegs.
    Then he got me to call Diagio to order a fallopian tube :o

And one of the girls in reception ordered French letters

That;s the first one that made me laugh. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

AV company:
    Storeboy sent to look for a "Long Weight" for a Milbank Mic Stand.

BBC OB:
    I was asked to get a portable Earth. I just looked at the guy and laughed. Oddly though there is such a device (but not used by BBC OB trucks). http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/mfj934-combined-artificial-earth-p-1843.html and http://remeeus.eu/ham-radio-english/miscellanous/artificial-ground-tuner.html

OT, related:
    Building Site, the Clerk wanted to make sure window frames got another coat. He thought he would quietly put an "X" in a corner. The contractor had an apprentice go around after him searching out and painting just the "X"s.

Shipyard:
    they would rivet or weld toolboxes of Apprentices to the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

One lad got sent to the shop for a population tool.

According to my da, when he was an apprentice welder they wer edoing a big job that involved a huge sheet of steel on the floor. They all wore boots with steel heels and toes and one of them ended up welded to the steel sheet on the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

11811 wrote: »
    Working in bar a while back I got a young fella, who was the glass collector, to polish all the empty kegs for me.
    I used to do that and tell them it was so I didn't get my trousers dirty when I was lifting them.

I sent a lad to the shop for some low fat lard once too...

Advertisement