Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers being drove daft by soft money

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Is the coachman Gerry Ryan?.

ROFL !! :D never noticed that !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The likes of the judiciary give the sentences that they can, not those that they as private individuals would pass.
    I agree entirely. The laws and sentences need serious reviewing.
    Add to that, there's simply not enough room for prisoners in this country, and no-one wants a prison built near them, add to which, it costs a fcuking fortune to house prisoners.
    Well I would be building an alcatraz style place off the coast on any number of islands we have. That takes care of the neighbours. As for the costs? Privatise the prison(s) for a start. Build the new ones more efficiently so they require less maintenance and fewer officers to control. Put the less dodgy prisoners to work. Prison labour is cheap so there could be economic benefits there. If the will was there it's very doable.
    I agree with ya, but in the midst of a recession nothing will be done.
    Sadly true and TBH I don't think the recession's got jack to do with it. They did nothing in the middle of the boom either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 icanchange49

Sexy wrote: »
    I don't quite get the thread title. :confused:

the point is that travellers (and indeed members of the settled community) who have received extremely generous handouts for generations have been done a disservice by the state. their natural talents (and they were traditionally many) have been eroded because they have no need to use these talents to survive. however, of course they still have energies, agressions etc; which nature has given us to survive and they have to get rid of these someway and they do this through activities - fighting etc - in ways that can only be to the detriment of other communities. so travellers. so, you see, that is what I meant and this is the origin of the thred title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

the point is that travellers (and indeed members of the settled community) who have received extremely generous handouts for generations have been done a disservice by the state. their natural talents (and they were traditionally many) have been eroded because they have no need to use these talents to survive. however, of course they still have energies, agressions etc; which nature has given us to survive and they have to get rid of these someway and they do this through activities - fighting etc - in ways that can only be to the detriment of other communities. so travellers. so, you see, that is what I meant and this is the origin of the thred title.

tinkers do more than fight ,a huge number of them go around rural ireland painting sheds for farmers , unfortunatley the paint is 90 % diesel - 10% paint so is guarenteed to fall off after about a year , still , theyve been able to get away with it for years now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dragan wrote: »
    The fights involved in getting it are ****ing brutality.

Only brutality is watching them, most of those guys couldn't box eggs.

The travellers who can properly fight are training in gym's up and down the country not fighting on country lanes, forest clearings and halting sites.

I don't respect their fighting abilities for a moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Wibbs wrote: »
    What seems to be new is that all types of the violent criminal element(not just ones attached to travellers) have stepped up to new levels. I can't remember a time when shootings and stabbings were so high in general. The Guards don't have the resources, training and I have to say at times the will to step on these thugs. I can understand that too, when you see the lamearsed sentences being handed out.

We need more, better trained Guards. We need more armed guards. We need harsher sentences across the board. Any assault involving deadly weapons should carry a mandatory 8 years, with no parole. Premeditated murder should be for life, until you're carried out in a box. If the prisons are overcrowded well then damn well build more of them.

Basically we need more intervention by the powers in this country. Which means bugger all will ever be done.
    All of the above have been tried in the States and the UK, and it's worked so well that they now have the lowest rates of violent crime in the western world.

Wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Only brutality is watching them, most of those guys couldn't box eggs.

The travellers who can properly fight are training in gym's up and down the country not fighting on country lanes, forest clearings and halting sites.

I don't respect their fighting abilities for a moment.

+1 on both of them, couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Nevore wrote: »
    All of the above have been tried in the States and the UK, and it's worked so well that they now have the lowest rates of violent crime in the western world.

Wait...
    Firstly, if you're implying that high levels of crime have something to do with these measures you may be right, but you probably have it backwards.
    Crimes rates aren't high because there's so much trained and armed police, police are trained and armed because there's high levels of crime.

In the UK most of the scumbag crime you hear about nowadays is commited by youths. They generally aren't taken seriously and the kids basically just get away lightly with whatever they do.

Secondly America is much larger, you can't compare something that goes down here to somethging that goes down in a city with millions, if not tens of millions of people.
    If you actually looked at the amount of officers per capita it wouldn't surprise me if our towns had much more guards than theirs, of course I haven't checked so I may be wrong.
    But you do acknowledge that it would be much harder to police a city ten times the size of Dublin to anywhere over here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Does anyone have any stats or reports on what the travelling community costs the Irish state every year ?

In total, i.e. including welfare, child benefits, housing, cleaning up after them after they leave a site, the police hours spent dealing with them, the cost of the crime itself, etc etc etc

I don't know what it is but I know it's unsustainable considering the state of the economy.
    I would guess that any stats or reports on this are not publically available because the total costs are likely staggering.

The thing is, they have become used to the handouts now and when (not if) they have to be substantially reduced we are going to have a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I worked in a hardware store for 10 years in Moate.

One fine summers day there was a wedding in town. Moate is a choice spot for traveller weddings. This traveller came into the store. i knew he was a traveller instantly due to the Miami Vice Hair cut and the cheap suit.

He was obviously dressed for an occasion, he came to the counter asked me for a hatchet, an axe handle and then beckoned me over to the chain stand and asked me to get him some chain.

Inside i deeply wanted to ask him which chain he wanted, ie was it for a funeral or a wedding? I refrained, I however gave him the thickest chain i could find... he weighed the 1m lenght of chain in his arm and seemed happy

I charged him and let him on his way, knowing full well that the axe was going to be stuck in some other gents head in a matter of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

snyper wrote: »
    I worked in a hardware store for 10 years in Moate.

One fine summers day there was a wedding in town. Moate is a choice spot for traveller weddings. This traveller came into the store. i knew he was a traveller instantly due to the Miami Vice Hair cut and the cheap suit.

He was obviously dressed for an occasion, he came to the counter asked me for a hatchet, an axe handle and then beckoned me over to the chain stand and asked me to get him some chain.

Inside i deeply wanted to ask him which chain he wanted, ie was it for a funeral or a wedding? I refrained, I however gave him the thickest chain i could find... he weighed the 1m lenght of chain in his arm and seemed happy

I charged him and let him on his way, knowing full well that the axe was going to be stuck in some other gents head in a matter of hours.
    I've had them come into my workshop asking me to make baseball bats out of the heaviest, strongest wood i have and if i'd bore the top and fill it with melted lead. I've always refused, though in these tough times, the money would be nice.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I live in Ballymote, traditional burial ground for either the McDonaghs or the Wards, cant be arsed remembering which.

Everytime there is a funeral the town has to go into lockdown because the aforementioned families are feuding. There is armed checkpoints on all roads into the town and the piles and I mean piles of farming equipment that are siezed when this practice was first implemented was staggering

There was one killed a few years ago and one of the rival members literally shot himself in the foot while shoving the gun down his trousers.

Of course the graveyard is now an eyesore with huge tasteless marble monstrosities.

Oh ya, and us fools are paying for it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Does anyone have any stats or reports on what the travelling community costs the Irish state every year ?

In total, i.e. including welfare, child benefits, housing, cleaning up after them after they leave a site, the police hours spent dealing with them, the cost of the crime itself, etc etc etc

I don't know what it is but I know it's unsustainable considering the state of the economy.
    I would guess that any stats or reports on this are not publically available because the total costs are likely staggering.

The thing is, they have become used to the handouts now and when (not if) they have to be substantially reduced we are going to have a big problem.

there are 22,369 Travellers living off in the Irish state

i would also be very interested to know how much this group is actually costing the TAXPAYER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 icanchange49

We need more, better trained Guards. We need more armed guards. We need harsher sentences across the board. Any assault involving deadly weapons should carry a mandatory 8 years, with no parole. Premeditated murder should be for life, until you're carried out in a box. If the prisons are overcrowded well then damn well build more of them...

good thinking and why not get the travellers themselves to build them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

good thinking and why not get the travellers themselves to build them...

You mean getting them to do something usefull for a change? :eek:

There'd be uproar in Pavee Point!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement