Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers being drove daft by soft money

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What's new pussycat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

it'll soon be too late if the ordinary people dont do something quick to protect themselves

Like what boss?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

it'll soon be too late if the ordinary people dont do something quick to protect themselves

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/deadly-weapons-used-in-vicious-traveller-brawls-1848886.html

They're also fond of slash hooks.

Irish people, and Irish travellers, beating the shite out of each other is not a new phenomena. You should stay away from the Sindo and read a newspaper for yourself instead.

I don't see the problem tbh, if we let them at it they'll kill off one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unwyse

ah,the poor misunderstood traaavlers! just tryin to make a living boss,cant sign with an x coz thas me brudders name:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What seems to be new is that all types of the violent criminal element(not just ones attached to travellers) have stepped up to new levels. I can't remember a time when shootings and stabbings were so high in general. The Guards don't have the resources, training and I have to say at times the will to step on these thugs. I can understand that too, when you see the lamearsed sentences being handed out.

We need more, better trained Guards. We need more armed guards. We need harsher sentences across the board. Any assault involving deadly weapons should carry a mandatory 8 years, with no parole. Premeditated murder should be for life, until you're carried out in a box. If the prisons are overcrowded well then damn well build more of them.

Basically we need more intervention by the powers in this country. Which means bugger all will ever be done.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

A bit of context
    The granddaddy of all faction fights took place on June 24, 1834, the Feast Day of St. John the Baptist, a Holy Day which traditionally served to commemorate the occurrence of the longest day of the year, when 3,000 participants, the Coolens on one side, with Lawlors, Blacks and Mulvihills on the other, went up against each other at Ballyveigh Strand in County Kerry. When the bleeding stopped, 200 were dead.
    http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlker/faction.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@ Wibbs - Off-topic posting is unhelpful & will get you banned. Have a nice day. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

How times have changed from the when the good auld shillelagh was the weapon of choice.

Violence has been a part of traveller culture for a very long time, sorting out this carry-on would put the Peace Process up north in the shade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Nodin wrote: »
    They're also fond of slash hooks.

Irish people, and Irish travellers, beating the shite out of each other is not a new phenomena. You should stay away from the Sindo and read a newspaper for yourself instead.

Has anyone even heard the word slashhook being used outside of the context of a traveller brawl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I've heard this argument before-'Ah sure we all used to be like that'. But thats the very point-we moved on and become modernised, whereas travellers remain stuck in the past, and intentionally remaining backward.
    latenia wrote: »
    Has anyone even heard the word slashhook being used outside of the context of a traveller brawl?

Yes I actually have one in the shed for cutting hedges.

I've heard this argument before-'Ah sure we all used to be like that'. But thats the very point-we moved on and become modernised, whereas travellers remain stuck in the past, and intentionally remaining backward.

Given the relatively limited number of deaths in traveller fighting, I'd say they've moved on somewhat too. However my point isn't that "we all used be like that", merely that its nothing new. It is in fact so old that presenting it otherwise is a damning critique of newspapers, reportage etc in general. While TV news can claim time constraints for failure to provide context, newspapers don't have that luxury.

latenia wrote: »

Think there was a feud between chinese where they were used but no, 99 times out of 100, its them. They still seem to prefer the shotgun over more fancy firearms too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Wibbs wrote: »
    We need more, better trained Guards. We need more armed guards. We need harsher sentences across the board. Any assault involving deadly weapons should carry a mandatory 8 years, with no parole. Premeditated murder should be for life, until you're carried out in a box. If the prisons are overcrowded well then damn well build more of them.

Basically we need more intervention by the powers in this country. Which means bugger all will ever be done.

I Agree totally on the sentencing, you could write a book with examples of some of the piss poor sentences handed down in this country. I have seen so many it's no longer out of the ordinary - it is now out of the ordinary for people to hear about a sentence and think 'that fits the crime'. Ridiculous situation, either the fault of the judiciary or of prison over crowding and lack of facilities. The cost of housing prisoners is another problem, it costs more in Ireland to keep a scumbag in prison each year than it does in most other places in europe. I think there needs to be a shift in mindset away from 'rights for prisoners' back to 'rights for victims & society in general'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

a penny for the babby? me fcukin arse :mad:

treveller wedding pic

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

And it is "being driven daft by money"...

They still seem to prefer the shotgun over more fancy firearms too.

The Frog Ward wouldn't agree with you :D

Go on the Nally :p

There's a good ol' traveller feud out this way (Dublin 13) involving regular shoot up's.

I actually train and drink with some member's of the travelling community, mostly grand lads but there's the missing link in them that makes them feel their outside the law's and standards of common decency that you and I feel bound to live under (for the well being and peace of others) - how thats addressed I haven't a clue, but pandering to their every wimm ain't the way to go, I'm pretty damn sure of that.

marcsignal wrote: »
    a penny for the babby? me fcukin arse :mad:

treveller wedding pic

Is the coachman Gerry Ryan?.

After the sales of his book would it surprise you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihadu

What seems to be new is that all types of the violent criminal element(not just ones attached to travellers) have stepped up to new levels. I can't remember a time when shootings and stabbings were so high in general. The Guards don't have the resources, training and I have to say at times the will to step on these thugs. I can understand that too, when you see the lamearsed sentences being handed out.

why 8, why not 1 or 100?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IMHO the current generation of gougers is lost for the most part. They need locking up and removal from society. The next generation is where it should start. Hit them young and hit them hard. Most adult scumbags, no matter who they are or where they're from start with small stuff. Small stuff they get away with. Then they move up the scale to where guns and knives are being used. If you dont catch the low level antisocial stuff early then they will continue on.

I know what Makikomi means too. I've known a few traveller lads and they were absolutely grand, but there was that disconnect from society and it's norms to a lesser or greater extent. Serious suspicion with society too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

ihadu wrote: »
    why 8, why not 1 or 100?
    If an assualt occurs without injury or death but where a knife is used with intent I would say 8 is about right. As it stands if I chop someone up in tiny bits tomorrow, I'll be out in 8 or so for good behaviour(so long as I avoid getting sectioned mental health wise). Which is bloody madness.

Look at this madness on the rape angle;
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/serial-rapistrsquos-release-sparks-security-alert-1824984.html

13 years for that? Jesus.

The list of examples of utterly bovine sentences in this country and the lawmakers/judicary having their heads square up where the sun don't shine is a long one.

TBH if I was a nutter and wanted to kill someone for kicks this would be the country in europe to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 icanchange49

mars bar wrote: »
    And it is "being driven daft by money"...

ah it is, it is. I knew that. Just trying a little traveller narrative to be funny for a Saturday afternoon like....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I hear 'King of the Tinkers' is quite a prestigious title to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

No. That is the horse's' ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

donmeister wrote: »

If you're a 'Tinker'.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

If an assualt occurs without injury or death but where a knife is used with intent I would say 8 is about right. As it stands if I chop someone up in tiny bits tomorrow, I'll be out in 8 or so for good behaviour(so long as I avoid getting sectioned mental health wise). Which is bloody madness.

Look at this madness on the rape angle;
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/serial-rapistrsquos-release-sparks-security-alert-1824984.html

13 years for that? Jesus.

The list of examples of utterly bovine sentences in this country and the lawmakers/judicary having their heads square up where the sun don't shine is a long one.

TBH if I was a nutter and wanted to kill someone for kicks this would be the country in europe to do it.

The likes of the judiciary give the sentences that they can, not those that they as private individuals would pass.

Add to that, there's simply not enough room for prisoners in this country, and no-one wants a prison built near them, add to which, it costs a fcuking fortune to house prisoners.

I agree with ya, but in the midst of a recession nothing will be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

donmeister wrote: »

The fights involved in getting it are ****ing brutality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sexy

I don't quite get the thread title. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement