Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in getting a puppy in Dublin!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Sorry phone only lets you type so much. Anyway, my point is not all on sites like that are puppy farms, but people need to be vigilant in all cases. Ask the right questions, ask to see their area, see the parents, make sure they're healthy and registered etc. That's all you can do really. And report suspicious situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Dublin141 wrote: »
    People aren't saying cross breeds shouldn't be homed, they are saying people shouldn't spend lots of money encouraging breeders to overbreed and mix breeds at will when there are lots of crossbreeds in pounds and rescues that need homes. There are lots of purebreds in pounds and rescues too.

Fully agree and i support this too. Puppy farmer should not be supported. I have searched for the last 6 months and could not found a pom but that is a gone issue now since i see some links below,

Surely you see the logic that by creating business for puppy farms
    No I don't. Puppy farms OK, puppy cross breeding-WRONG!
    No reputable breeder would home a dog at five weeks, that's crazy. I don't know why anyone would want to buy from an irresponsible breeder in the first place but after seeing firsthand that they are in fact a puppy farm? That's shameful.

Did not know that she was a puppy farmer. Had to drive donegal and did not know till i gave her money and got the pup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    Fully agree and i support this too. Puppy farmer should not be supported and i will take 100% care next time. I have searched for the last 6 months and could not found a pom but that is a gone issue now since i see some links below,

No I don't and will take more care in future. Puppy farms OK, puppy cross breeding-WRONG!

Did not know that she was a puppy farmer. Had to drive donegal and did not know till i gave her money and got the pup.
    So, folks, I take full responsibility of accidently supporting a puppy farmer, my sincere apology and will take care in future.
    In spite of all, I love my junior and will take care of him more than 100%

Did you do any research at all before getting the puppy? Because if you didn't even know what age a puppy should be when you buy it, it sounds like you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

thanks for everys help so far.

visited the pound last sunday, was amazed at the amount of people there lookign for pets, was packed! lovely dogs there, but no puppies. id love to have taken some of the older dogs, but the missus wants a young pup. some adorable dogs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Magenta wrote: »
    Did you do any research at all before getting the puppy? Because if you didn't even know what age a puppy should be when you buy it, it sounds like you didn't.

dont know what you mean in context to thread subject!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    dont know what you mean in context to thread subject!!

I'll take that as a no then :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Hard to be sure which ones are from Puppy Farms though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

There's no guarantee that the dogs you get from other sources didn't originally come from Puppy Farms.

thanks to a wonderful poster on here, i now have the most amazing puppy ever :D. hes so adorable and a massive hit with everybody!!

will post pics later on the pic thread.

can people advise on the best ways to toilet train him? hes very good in one respect that he wont go in his bed or on couch and if the door is open, he will go straight outside, but if he is in one of the rooms, without warning, he will do his business there and then. very strange behaviour, we think he is just marking his area cos its new....

sorry to bother you all again, but is it possible to get puppys nails clipped as they are very long and sharp or do we leave them as they are?

im in dundrum area but also my girlfriends parents house is in clondalkin so we can go near to either of those places if theres any places that do this or is it a vet job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How old is your puppy? if its only very young then its not strange behaviour, its what puppies do.
    Puppies dont have control of their bladder and will just go when they need to.

You need to train it to go outside, this can take weeks, even months to fully train so be patient.

Make sure the pup is brought outside after eating, drinking, playing and after it wakes up, i would also bring it out every hour if possible too for the first few days or as often as you can. The reward, reward and praise. You need to make big fuss of pup when it goes outside, even bring a treat.

If you catch him going in the house, dont give out, just say a firm "no" and bring him outside to finish.
    You will have accidents for the first few weeks so just be prepared to deal with them.

With the nails, you cna get a nail clippers in any pet shop but you need to be careful clipping them, and not go too near the "quick" on the nail. If you dont feel comfortable doing it then ask the vet next time you are there.

Advertisement