Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wakes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Listening to the Obituaries on the wireless is a favourite past time among old timers to see who's house they will eat and drink at.

There's people who travel to all the wakes for the free tea and cake! Drink too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ive been to 2 ..and never again! Its just too weird for me. The person doesnt look like themselves tbh and as far as im concerned that person has gone! Their "soul"...or personality isnt there anymore and thats what you loved so to look at their dead body is actually worse than the funeral itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Nothing like a good wake.

Sometimes it's a pleasure to say goodbye to certain people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I love wakes when the person who's died isn't too close to me. Just another excuse for a session. Have some tea and cake then move on to the booze. What better way for a send off than to have all your friends and family together in a relaxed setting, telling stories about your life and having the craic. Hate funerals though, just too formal for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sometimes it's a pleasure to say goodbye to certain people.

To get to touch them and make sure they are cold and pinch'em just to be sure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

My grandmother had a wake. It was a very weird feeling to be getting hammered and herself lying 3 feet away

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've been to too many . :(

Including one a few days ago.

I've been to too many . :(

Including one a few days ago.

*hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Thaedydal wrote: »
    To get to touch them and make sure they are cold and pinch'em just to be sure?

There's a reason you see the old ladies with the knitting needles at some of these wakes.

There's a reason you see the old ladies with the knitting needles at some of these wakes.

There's a lot to be said for 4 inches of good steel with a point on the end,
    one of my most treasured possessions is my great granny's hat pin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Very common, I've been to quite a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

Their very common around Connemara, been to a few myself young and old (one for my friend in primary school and my Dad, both too young)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Their very common around Connemara, been to a few myself young and old (one for my friend in primary school and my Dad, both too young)
    Was that not weird that your Dad was dead for over 24 hours in the house? Did you sit with him the whole time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My brother-in-law killed himself a few years back, and was waked. Also carried his coffin through the town and the men in the (extended) family helped fill in the grave which, I was told, is traditional in that part of the county.

I'd never been to one before but when somebody dies in that way, it's good to have them back in the house (especially for his mum) and say goodbye properly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

stovelid wrote: »
    My brother-in-law killed himself a few years back, and was waked. Also carried his coffin through the town and the men in the (extended) family helped fill in the grave which, I was told, is traditional in that part of the county.

I'd never been to one before but when somebody dies in that way, it's good to have them back in the house (especially for his mum) and say goodbye properly.

Yeah have had to deal with 2 suicides in the last month, tough going with an open casket, but it's good for the family to be around and say goodbye, especially with such a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

My neighbours 18yr old son commited suicide and they had a wake at the house. Fecking horrible going seeing him laid out. Of course it's completely different when the person whose wake it is actually lived a full life.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

Kiera wrote: »
    Was that not weird that your Dad was dead for over 24 hours in the house? Did you sit with him the whole time?

Well it was actually in my grandparents house, my gran stayed up at night, and prefered to be alone, but otherwise was in the room most of the time. I was in shock the whole time, but it was kinda weird alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Well it was actually in my grandparents house, my gran stayed up at night, and prefered to be alone, but otherwise was in the room most of the time. I was in shock the whole time, but it was kinda weird alright.
    Yeah I know what you mean about the shock but i couldnt walk away and leave them for the night yet i will never want to sit in the room with my Mam. Even tho she said she wants to be waked i told her we're gonna burn her for the craic. Yes we like to take the piss out of each other :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Fairly common in Cavan (depending really if there is enough parking space at the house , otherwise-funeral home.) Also it is usually common to have neighbours dig the grave in certain parishes.. one parish has actually banned mini-diggers from the cemetry! Its actually a nice touch, i helped my uncle when i was a kid to dig a grave along with about ten other men, i remember the flasks of tea and bottles of whiskey being produced about 2ft down into the dig!

Advertisement