Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wakes

Options
  • 31-07-2009 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

I was at a wake up home in the north-west earlier in the week and it came up in conversation back at work in a Dublin office. To my shock, just about no one had been to a wake before and some were a bit weirded out by the idea of it. Now, there were a few foreigners, but most were from Dublin, Cork, Galway, etc. Where I'm from, it's like second nature, everyone is waked and I've been going to them since I was a kid. Just wondering what your thoughts are on wakes? And are they common where you're from?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm from the northwest and I've never been to a wake...it's not that common in my village...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

i'm from dundalk and it's the norm there as far as i know.
    i can't believe there's irish people who don't know what a wake is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

From Dublin - been to a wake
    Kinda sad to say at 28 really

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm from the Northwest and I was at a wake recently too. There creepy and often to far away from the pub.

There fairly common around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

My Dad went to the funeral home and it was lovely. My Mam is now saying she would like to be laid out at home. I'm totally weirded out by it. I dont fancy the idea of a load of biddys/older family members saying constant prayers around her dead body for hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm getting confused, is a wake where the person is laid out at home and people are there all the time with the body, or is it if you only have the house open for a couple of hours the night before the funeral (and provide a bit of food and drink)?

My brother was laid out at home but we only had people in the night before the funeral, and it wasn't a massive drinking session or anything....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I remember when my grand parents died and they were both laid out at home for two days before burial. I had never seen so many drunken people in my life. There was always a person who sits with the body during the night aswell. My best mates mother is one and she also sat with my grandads body. I've been to hunderds of wakes and the majority were in the persons house and always involved tea, booze, sandwiches and apple tarts usually in vast amounts. When my uncle died a while back my mother rang me to tell me the news and while stil in shock she tells me to get down to the shop and start making some sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I've been to two wakes but didn't stay for long as they weren't relatives or very close friends, an integral part of a death in Ireland imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭SilentAssassin

Kiera wrote: »
    My Dad went to the funeral home and it was lovely. My Mam is now saying she would like to be laid out at home. I'm totally weirded out by it. I dont fancy the idea of a load of biddys/older family members saying constant prayers around her dead body for hours.

Sorry for your loss. In general, the wakes I've been to normally last 48 hours. There's a few prayers said by the priest when the body arrives. But there's not really much praying apart from that. Although, the rosary is usually said aloud once a nite at 9 or 10pm. People will say a quiet prayer in their head when they arrive but what normally happens is you have friends and relatives of the deceased reminiscing with old stories about them. I know with uncles and stuff it was good craic to hear from their friends what my uncle was like when he was my age (twenties). The kind of stuff he wouldn't have told you himself :D

I'm getting confused, is a wake where the person is laid out at home and people are there all the time with the body, or is it if you only have the house open for a couple of hours the night before the funeral (and provide a bit of food and drink)?

My brother was laid out at home but we only had people in the night before the funeral, and it wasn't a massive drinking session or anything....

It's a bit of both. Generally, somebody is there all the time. But there's often food and drink in the house. People will have a cup of tea (or a real drink) and swap old stories about the good times, etc. with the deceased
    There's no real law of wakes though, it's up to the family themselves

super-rush wrote: »
    I remember when my grand parents died and they were both laid out at home for two days before burial. I had never seen so many drunken people in my life. There was always a person who sits with the body during the night aswell. My best mates mother is one and she also sat with my grandads body. I've been to hunderds of wakes and the majority were in the persons house and always involved tea, booze, sandwiches and apple tarts usually in vast amounts. When my uncle died a while back my mother rang me to tell me the news and while stil in shock she tells me to get down to the shop and start making some sandwiches.

Sounds like a few wakes I've been to alright! But, sometimes the families will just say no booze. So it's tea and cakes galore!

Believe it or not, some people think wakes are better craic then weddings! Not me personally, but I think if someone has led a full life til their eighties or whatever it's nice to celebrate their life. On the flip side, I've lost cousins and friends in their teens and those wakes are devastating!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

I've family from North-West and Dublin, and I've been to wakes my whole life on both sides. I'm 21 and I've been to around 35 wakes, most were elderly family, so it was a great opportunity to celebrate and I've some very happy memories, but if the person was younger usually no wake and if there was one it was a more sombre affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I'm pretty sure both are called a wake, its just up to the family to decide which way they go about doing it

I'm from Kildare and they're still common, I've heard of people not going to the church the night before, but I thought a wake was always the done thing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Feck me i completely forgot. My mates mother in law died about three years ago and he asked me would i play music in the pub that everyone was invited back to. I started playing at 4 in the afternoon and was stopped by the guards at 1 the next morning. The place was jammed to the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I don't know if it's called a wake, but last time someone I know died he was laid out in an open coffin in his house for 2-3 days before the funeral and his friends and acquaintances called over in the daytime and evenings ... various immediate family members then stayed there overnight so there was someone with the body at all times. Everyone was drinking but not getting inappropriately drunk. He was old though, maybe it's more an old-people's tradition than for young people?

I don't know if it's called a wake, but last time someone I know died he was laid out in an open coffin in his house for 2-3 days before the funeral and his friends and acquaintances called over in the daytime and evenings ... various immediate family members then stayed there overnight so there was someone with the body at all times. Everyone was drinking but not getting inappropriately drunk. He was old though, maybe it's more an old-people's tradition than for young people?

Yeah that was a wake you were at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I've been to one and i will never go to one again. Its just too weird and sad!it changed my perception of death i think

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Like SilentAssassin said it's a bit of both, the family are there the whole time but they have set time where everyone comes round to pay their respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm from Kerry so a wake is normal for me either in the home or a funeral home. The closer you get to a city the less people know one another so it's not normal for a family group to "pay your respects" and less people attend a funeral so a wake becomes a pointless thing.

I tell you what's weird is over here in London (UK in general) you're usually dead a week or more before they bury/cremate you as you've got to get a report done. My GFs nan died a while back and I was like when is the funeral and my GF was explaining she didn't know and if I remember it was around a fortnight... Crazy bidness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

From the south east and most of the wakes in recent years are "house private". I think they mean family and close friends only. If I knew the person I would go anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I'm only 20 and I've been to 6 wakes. (all my family members) I don't think their 'uncommon' in Ireland at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

If I said that I have been to 200 wakes, I wouldn't be lying. I easily go to 8 -10 wakes per year back in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

We had a wake in our house for my granny and it's pretty common down here for everyone, young and old to be laid out at home. I know friends from college who find it weird. It's nice I think and more relaxed than the formality of a funeral home. People come and pay their respects, share memories and show their support for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Galway here, Ive been to 3 wakes, but only 1 was actually in Galway. The other 2 were in surrounding region. In all 3 cases the wake was for a young person 18-22. I actually haven't seen/heard of a wake for an elderly person. Outside of the 3 wakes, ive been to about 20+ funerals, majority of which included funeral home viewings.

Personally, I don't like them, I don't feel the need to see the body to pay my respects or say goodbye. When I write out my will I am going to include that my funeral be closed casket, no wake, no funeral home viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Nothing like a good wake.

I'm from Kerry so a wake is normal for me either in the home or a funeral home. The closer you get to a city the less people know one another so it's not normal for a family group to "pay your respects" and less people attend a funeral so a wake becomes a pointless thing.

I tell you what's weird is over here in London (UK in general) you're usually dead a week or more before they bury/cremate you as you've got to get a report done. My GFs nan died a while back and I was like when is the funeral and my GF was explaining she didn't know and if I remember it was around a fortnight... Crazy bidness.

Most of my mother's side of the family have lived in west London for the last 20/30 years. Four or five families spread over a couple of streets. Any time there's a death over there they have the full Irish wake just like back home. The neighbours used to think it was really weird but now they come to the wake and pay their respects. I know all about the long wait. I normally have to wait until the day before the funeral (which is usually a week after the death) before I can go over cos I'd never get that amount of time off work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

If I said that I have been to 200 wakes, I wouldn't be lying. I easily go to 8 -10 wakes per year back in the States.

Your name isnt Jessica Fletcher by any chance is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

Very normal to have a wake, although I have only been to two, one of which was my fathers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wakes freak me out altogether.. I've been to loads though

It's fcuked up when the person wasn't really close to you, you have to be all contemplative like, and occasionally touch the corpse

It's sometimes hard to hide the fact that I'm only there for the sandwiches

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am from Dublin and would be used to the wake. Also the last walk down the town, I think it is a sign of respect.

When my nan died they carried her coffin in shifts from the house to the church, It was over a mile and a half, it was the ultimate sign of respect.

Also heard of a recent funeral where they had karaoke and a band, because that what the man would have wanted. Seemingly it was a great event!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I was at one of my best friends dads wake, Odd really, there is so much jubilance on such a sombre occasion.

Advertisement