Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

bullvine wrote: »
    Theres a positive review on Rotten Tomatoes!!

Don't read it, very spolierific.
    Says technically the film is outstanding but should have been braver with story, trying to please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    2-3 days to go and still no review.

Loads of French & German reviews plus viewer reactions from Monday's screening in Paris.

General consensus from them being that it's good (If average) but not a great sci-fi and far from being an adult film people were expecting.

Everyone agrees it looks stunning (3D has gotten good marks) and that Rapace & Fassbender are great in it but everything else from the plot to the soundtrack have been pointed out as being weak, even from those who liked the movie.

Official UK and Irish screenings are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Official UK and Irish screenings are today.

Nope not till tomorrow morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Don't read it, very spolierific.
    Says technically the film is outstanding but should have been braver with story, trying to please everyone.

Did Alien have a great story though? I mean really at the end of the day, it was a simple enough story, I think Aliens had a much more detailed story.

The soundtrack issues are very annoying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Arciphel wrote: »
    Nope not till tomorrow morning ;)

Herp-a-derp, my mistake :pac:

• Advertisement

Interesting that the Interweb tells me that Alien got mixed reviews, were Aliens got Universal praise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, there's a good blog post here about all the mixed reviews Alien received on release.

http://alienseries.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/bad-alien-reviews.html

Yeah, there's a good blog post here about all the mixed reviews Alien received on release.

Thats just amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

Guardian Review 3 stars "grandiose and muddled but highly watchable"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/may/30/prometheus-review

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Reviews from Variety and The Hollywood Reporter are up now and they are fairly mixed as well.

WARNING: Both reviews contain SPOILERS!

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117947665?refcatid=31

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/prometheus-review-ridley-scott-charlize-theron-michael-fassbender-330414

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm sure that I'll still enjoy the film, but going by the mixed reviews, it seems like we have another case of being suckered by hype and marketing. :o

I'm actually encouraged by the Bradshaw review. He generally hates genre films, so the fact that he has anything good to say about Prometheus bodes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Wow, they completely missed all the stuff that annoyed the hell out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just read the wiki entry...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JTR

This looks absolutely amazing, really looking forward to seeing it.

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Interesting that they say it's not as frightening as Alien as the one thing I've taken from all the footage released is that it looks genuinely unsettling.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

ALIEN in The Savoy.

ALIENS in The Ambasadsor.

I think i can take PROM... whatever it's called in The Gaiety.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I just booked it for Vue Cinema on Friday, really looking forward too seeing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Empire 3/5

Fairly poor review. The marketing budget mustn't have included a 15 page spread with behind the scene access and a 3D holographic cover option ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just read the wiki entry...

God damn you! Just hadta have a gawk :D sounds right to me cant wait to see it now..

Only 3 stars from Empire? That's poor. The lack of suspense claim is worrying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Despite being a huge Batman fan, this is still the movie I'm most looking forward to this year. I have been trying to temper my expectations for a while by reminding myself of a few things ... Lindelof, GI Jane, Robin Hood, Hannibal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Only 3 stars from Empire? That's poor. The lack of suspense claim is worrying too.

Yeah, it sure is. And normally Empire are that bit more positive towards the blockbusters.

Could have an Alien Resurrection on our hands, all style no substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

empire is a joke....like the daily sport reviewing 'lawrence of arabia'...im not worried

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Heading to the midnight screening of this in Blanchardstown tonight. Does anyone think I should pre-book the tickets or would it be alright to get them at the cinema tonight?

But there's no getting away from the total lack of any cumulative sense of dread, nor from the essential emptiness at the film's core. Like Fassbender's discomforting robot, Prometheus is stunning to look at and initially intriguing, but in the end fatally lacking a soul.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/review/a384564/prometheus-review-ridley-scott-returns-to-his-alien-sci-fi-roots.html

3 Stars from Digital Spy. Regardless of what you think of the likes of Empire and DS, the criticisms I've been reading are saying more or less the same thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Surprised that the script seems to be being singled out as a weaklink. You'd think after all the time and effort seemingly poured into it they'd have crafted something interesting!

• Advertisement

Surprised that the script seems to be being singled out as a weaklink. You'd think after all the time and effort seemingly poured into it they'd have crafted something interesting!

Ambiguity seems to be one criticism of the script, you'd swear a Lost co-creator wouldn't know a thing about what that means. :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement