Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I convince my boss to let me work from home?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

weird wrote: »
    All my reasons are self serving. I need a reason why it's good for the company... or a health related reason, a reason with meat on the bones. Catching swine flu is a real risk because I have to use public transportation to get to work... but even that's not excuse enough really... is it?

What's good for you is good for the company. If you're happier and more rested, you'll be more productive. Turn it on it's head and instead of asking "Can I work from home?", ask "Is there any reason I can't work from home?"

If you want to try the swine-flu angle, try to ramp up the hysteria. Check the headlines for swine-flu "stories" and be sure to relay them to him any time you are talking: "... two more people died in... not enough vaccine... zombie attacks... GPs swamped..." Our lovely "media" will have no end of scare stories, use that to keep it foremost in his mind. Maybe buy him a subscription to the Daily Mail. Various goverment bodies and employers groups have been warning businesses to prepare for mass sick-leave, ask if they have developed contingency plans. If you have a critical role in disaster recovery, best not be sick and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Dont wash yourself,change your clothes or underwear for a few weeks, chances are he/she wont want you anywhere near the office/building....and cant sack you for fear of unfair dismissal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Tell him you've been offered a job with less of a commute. If you're as indispensible as you say his immediate reaction will be "well what can we do to keep you".

Of course if he comes back with "well we're sorry to lose you" you're a bit fubard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭weird

Dont wash yourself,change your clothes or underwear for a few weeks, chances are he/she wont want you anywhere near the office/building....and cant sack you for fear of unfair dismissal

Did you just read the thread title and then decide to post what you thought was witty statement? Read the whole thread before posting please. If you had you would have read that my boss doesn't work in the same office as me and more to the point others have suggested this before you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭weird

Well I asked my boss because I found a clincher so to speak... he ideally needs me to work from 08:00 but the office is closed then so by working from home I can start working earlier. he was all for it and has moved it up the pipeline for approval.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

brummytom wrote: »
    Tell him you've googled the bloke who sits a few seats down and he's an escaped murderer

actually funny you should mention that... not going to name the names... or what they did... but after 2 guys left where i work they were googled... and needless to say... 1 had a prime time slot about them... the other had allegations mentioned in the irish times...

... thank feck my name is too common to pinpoint something i did :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

- Drav!

Did you just read the thread title and then decide to post what you thought was witty statement? Read the whole thread before posting please. If you had you would have read that my boss doesn't work in the same office as me and more to the point others have suggested this before you.

Nah ... It was just a copy and paste from a previous post. Just saw you getting madder and madder at people that I'd just throw it in there again see if you would explode. Sorry about the blood pressure. It was all in Jest. :):):)

On topic:

You could tell him that you have an ailment like major back problem or broken leg or something and that instead of taking time off work that you would (because of the model employee that you are) work from home. After your 3-4 weeks working from home sucessfully you could ask to make it more permanent as you found yourself to be more productive.

Just saw your post. Best of luck.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Well I asked my boss because I found a clincher so to speak... he ideally needs me to work from 08:00 but the office is closed then so by working from home I can start working earlier. he was all for it and has moved it up the pipeline for approval.

Good stuff. Now get yourself an xtra-vision card and enjoy your working day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Nah I don't believe you, I bet you either:

A) Gave him a blowjob
    B) Didnt wash yourself or change your clothes or underwear for a few weeks, and chances are he/she didn't want you anywhere near the office/building....and couldn't sack you for fear of unfair dismissal
    or
    C) Emailed him pictures of your willy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Blowjob.
    was that an open offer from yourself to the forum, or a suggestion to the OP? :pac:

Advertisement