Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I convince my boss to let me work from home?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

I was thinking a good angle would be this whole swine flu outbreak.

I work at "managed services" basically I support a financial services application. My days basically consist of password resets, changing static data, and monitoring the application and it's environment. I spend allot of time surfing the web needless to say. The rest of my coworkers work in London and I have never met any of them besides my boss.

I have laptop, when I go into the office I immediately connect to the London network using VPN. My office line is already diverted to my blackberry and even at that I get about 3 calls a week. So technically speaking working from home is the same as working from the office.

When I got sick a few weeks ago, I worked from home all week. My boss even said he had forgotten I was working from home that week!

So I ask you, after hours forum, how can I best convince my boss to let me work from home?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Start doing really nasty farts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Bribe him

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Slowly fake more and more attraction to him and over time show him some ankle

he'll think you're a twink and be afraid to fire you because of those equality thingamajigs

he'll probably end up building you an office at home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Do a Homer Simpson on it and become obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Just ask?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Just live up to your Username OP. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭weird

Silverfish wrote: »
    Start doing really nasty farts?

They'd have to be really bad for him to smell them in London

• Registered Users Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Develop an irregular and inconsistent bladder that sporadically erupts.

After you've wet yourself about 5 times you'll be fine getting permission working from home

Slowly fake more and more attraction to him and over time show him some ankle

he'll think you're a twink and be afraid to fire you because of those equality thingamajigs

he'll probably end up building you an office at home

Again, he's in London so I'd have to employ a webcam for that to work and he'd have to be willing to watch.

Don't its hard enough to get a job don't loose yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Super_Johnson

Depends on how extreme you wanna go with it..... you could make up some excuse about how your allergic to the ceilings in the office or something?

But ild have to go with just ask but if that doesnt work say that the journey to work is to much and you dont get home til late

to clarify, basically, I am the only one from my department in the Dublin office. All my coworkers are in London.

I need a valid reason that will let me consistently work from home long term... I provide that and I'm sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

brummytom wrote: »
    Just ask?

I was going to suggest some ridiculously complicated scheme involving a life size version of 'Mousetrap', fake passports and a phoney kidnapping.
    Then I read your post. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

weird wrote: »
    When I got sick a few weeks ago, I worked from home all week. My boss even said he had forgotten I was working from home that week!
    Could you not just start working from home and not tell him? I somehow doubt he's gonna notice. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Dont wash yourself,change your clothes or underwear for a few weeks, chances are he/she wont want you anywhere near the office/building....and cant sack you for fear of unfair dismissal:pac:

Depends on how extreme you wanna go with it..... you could make up some excuse about how your allergic to the ceilings in the office or something?

But ild have to go with just ask but if that doesnt work say that the journey to work is to much and you dont get home til late

Considered the journey excuse but it's not that long.

I was going to suggest some ridiculously complicated scheme involving a life size version of 'Mousetrap', fake passports and a phoney kidnapping.
    Then I read your post. :(

No, I've always wanted to kidnap someone.. lets go with your one

Maddison wrote: »
    Dont wash yourself,change your clothes or underwear for a few weeks, chances are he/she wont want you anywhere near the office/building....and cant sack you for fear of unfair dismissal:pac:

Ugh, read the thread please! Like I said my boss and the rest of my coworkers work in London!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

They'd have to be really bad for him to smell them in London

They could make you feel so ill you have to stay home.

Or presumably you don't have the whole building to yourself, so they'd affect someone surely. Fake a letter from someone else in the building saying 'Weird smells really really bad. Can he just not come here any more please?'

Ugh, read the thread please! Like I said my boss and the rest of my coworkers work in London!
    Aahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahah...did you want REAL answers...wrong forum mate.:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

From a more logical and not funny approach...

...put the reasons why you should work at home together and present them to him.

Ask him for reasons why you shouldn't and debunk each one.

Don't its hard enough to get a job don't loose yours.

It would be very very hard for me to loose my job. I'd have to be antisocial on an epic level. I can't go into that much detail but I've got amazing job security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Move to London and work with them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

Just work from home and not tell him

bug wrote: »
    From a more logical and not funny approach...

...put the reasons why you should work at home together and present them to him.

Ask him for reasons why you shouldn't and debunk each one.

All my reasons are self serving. I need a reason why it's good for the company... or a health related reason, a reason with meat on the bones. Catching swine flu is a real risk because I have to use public transportation to get to work... but even that's not excuse enough really... is it?

Happynappy wrote: »
    Just work from home and not tell him

I nearly could! Eventually though someone nosey fecker in the Dublin office, who isn't even on my team, would be like "we haven't seen weird for like 8 months... is he dead?"

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

Say you need to reduce your carbon footprint

All my reasons are self serving. I need a reason why it's good for the company... or a health related reason, a reason with meat on the bones. Catching swine flu is a real risk because I have to use public transportation to get to work... but even that's not excuse enough really... is it?

Tell him you've googled the bloke who sits a few seats down and he's an escaped murderer

Youve developed a fear of people brought on by the swine flu virus?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Wait a minute.
    You're looking at this all wrong OP.
    Why not move all your stuff into the office.
    That way you'd be living in the office and saving a fortune on rent.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you would then be working from home, problem solved.

Advertisement