Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.onlinedvdrentals.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sir Arsalot

MOH wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense to me.
    No charges will be made against your card unless you don't cancel
    = If you don't cancel, charges will be made against your card

It's pretty straightforward, same kind of phrasing that I've seen on a lot of free trial offers.

The point a few people have tried to make is that they DID cancel, but the guy is just taking money out of peoples' accounts ANYWAY. He's just trying to get away with it - do NOT give this guy your card details.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oleg

Bought Groupon deal for the subscription (among 6 others) - two weeks since my first contact to them, 13 emails, 1 phone call - no luck yet.

Eventually they responded requesting a copy of groupon voucher and silence for four days now.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

I just checked online for feedback about this company & saw this thread.

I also bought the Groupon voucher on the 20th November. I have been trying since then to redeem it. There was a problem initially in that the email address provided in order to verify the voucher was wrong, then I found the right one on their website and sent through the details required as per the voucher. I then was asked to forward the actual voucher to a gmail account for <SNIP> which set alarm bells ringing - I spoke to him and he assured me he would get things moving and said they were having a problem with their email...

Today I rang Groupon support as I still have not received any DVD, & neither <SNIP> nor the "support team" have returned my calls or emails. Once I explained the situation, I was immediately offered my money back from Groupon. So I am happy about that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Today I rang Groupon support as I still have not received any DVD, & neither <SNIP> nor the "support team" have returned my calls or emails. Once I explained the situation, I was immediately offered my money back from Groupon. So I am happy about that.

Did they give you a refund or the amount in credit for their site? They usually try do the latter. It makes you winder what groupon check before they offer these 'deals'.

The woman at Groupon said she would organise a refund and it could take up to 5 days. Mind you, this was my second time speaking with her over the past few weeks about this company so she was aware there was a problem when she checked my account. And each time I had to wait about 20 mins to get through, which suggests not many staff there and/or a lot of calls...

I have used several of these companies who offer special deal vouchers and this is the first time I've had a problem. I am satisfied that Groupon did offer a refund. I think from reading this thread, (going back a couple of years) online are just not professional and I wonder why they decide to offer a deal like this if they are not prepared to provide a good follow-up service? After all, surely the point of these deals is to attract new customers, keep them happy by providing a good service and hope they will sign up for longer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I just checked to see how many bought the deal, it was only 83 but it said sold out. Was expecting a lot more tbh. Glad you got the refund anyway, least groupon sorted you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I wouldn't have thought it was a one man operation to be honest. These guys run their own website as well as other white lable sites for brands like Superquinn movies. Interestingly they used to run lidl movies too but that has now been taken over by screenclick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oleg

I had to contact Mark to sort it out. I will give them second chance. Hope there will be no need to email Mark each time I send disk back.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Giving these clowns a chance to refund my money ( www.onlinedvdrentals.ie ), promised Credit Card refund and Cheque. Neither were done. Will be sure to reveal all in the coming week if they haven't sorted me out yet.

The amount of times I've rang and the receptionist tells me Chris and Mark are out, I ring a number through Google and they're in the office. They run an absolute shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 olga9999

Hi I bought the OnlineDvdRentals promotion in GroupOn. As they said in the promotion I sent the security code and they never set me up in the system so essentially they have stolen my money and no service is provided.

I have called GroupOn about this. Told them I have contact the people in OnlineDvdRentals several times both on the phone and via email and they are only giving me excuses and not setting me in the system. The only thing GroupOn is telling me is that since I gave them the security code (which it was the only way of redeemeding the voucher) they can not do anything and they can't refund my money (OnlineDvdRentals is not refunding the money at this stage either) and that I should send them an email cancelling the service and they will refund my money (I have already sent them an email and have no answer yet at this stage).

Basically what is happening is that OnlineDvdRentals is a scam and GroupOn is simply adding them to take money from people.

I was just wondering how many people might be affected by this, whether there is someone out there that bought the promotion and has made no use of it (to warn them not to send the security code to OnlineDvdRentals as they get no money from GroupOn without the security code).

Also to ask if there is a consumer agency I can send a complain about this.

Thanks a million for any help about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭alekito

The exact same thing happened to me. I rang citydeal and they sent an email to onlinedvdrentals saying that they had to call me but they did not. So I will call citydeal again tomorrow.

This is just fraud. They are stealing my money. They have redeemed my voucher but refuse to send on the money. It's quiet unbelievable.

Is anyone/ or know anyone who is actually getting any dvds?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭irlgirl

i am in the same boat the company has not responded to numerous calls or emails. It is ridiculous. I paypal so hope i can get my money back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dingwave

Hi

I have also found this thread by searching about this company. I purchased a trial for this company through Living Social (bronze package - unlimited dvds a month) at the end of October, and have since had nothing but trouble from them. In two months (out of a 3 month trial), I have received 4 dvds of which one of them I did not request. I have emailed the company numerous times and their communication has been, at best, poor. Eventually Living Social refunded the deal, but this is not the point - this whole thing has been a waste of time! How can they invest in a 'bargain' deal to attract customers if they cannot even provide a basic level of service?

Avoid this company at all costs.

Edit: The company I am referring to is ODR at www.onlinedvdrentals.co.uk - just clearing this up as the title of my post has a slightly different address by mistake and there are a lot of similar urls out there for these companies!

I think OnlineDvdRentals.co.uk are the same company as OnlineDvdRentals.ie because they made some kind of promotion and the Irish version was trying to promote the British one.

It's nice to know that LivingSocial return the money to you, because I have been having nothing but problem with GroupOn. They are not helping they refused to refund the money to me. As far as I know they have not contacted the company and they tell me that I need to cancel my service with Online Dvd Rentals first before they refund any money. I have sent 3 emails with CC to GroupOn cancelling the service and GroupOn is aware the people of Online Dvd Rentals are not answering or doing anything. Pretty much it looks to me they are together in the scam.

GroupOn is incredibly greedy. They get 50% of the money of the deal (so in this case I paid 49 Euros GroupOn keeps 24.50 from that money and Online Dvd Rentals gets the other 24.50) and after all that and the problems they are very aware of they refused to do anything or return anything.

LivingSocial on the other hand gets only 35% of the money of the deal and they have surprisingly less problems returning money to customers with problems.

Online Dvd Rentals looks to me a scam but GroupOn is greedy to the highest degree and they are certainly honoring the bad reputation they have in America.

I have filled out a form with the Consumer Association of Ireland and I am considering a Small Courts complain. Any ideas of the jurisdiction that applies to online deals of this kind? The place the business is located or the place I live on? Obviously my complain is going against GroupOn as they are the ones I paid to.

Well I have been on the phone to Groupon about this, they rang onlinedvdrentals and they gave them the same spiel. They said they would follow it up in January so I will call them and keep you updated. But it seems that onlinedvdrentals have no intention of fulfilling the orders. They are just using it as free publicity. I will ask for my money back now. This is just a case of fraud, they have no intention of giving people the codes. Shocking.

And yes, they are the same company - in the UK and Ireland. I actually talked to Chris about it for 10 or 15 mins and he told me all about their expansion plans. Seemed like a nice guy. He then gave me his word I would get my code that afternoon. That was in November. I rang several time and every time I was told I would be called back or emailed THAT DAY. I don't like being lied to.

It seems that onlinedvdrentals will not honour any of the codes. I talked to Groupon about it and they can't get any answer from them. They refunded my money (even though onlinedvdrentals had redeemed the voucher). Don't think they will deal with them again. It seems that onlinedvdrentals simply used Groupon for free publicity and then dumped them. And dumped all the people who bought the voucher.

They is really bad behaviour from a company. Don't deal with onlinedvdrentals - they are terrible and impossible to get in touch with. Then the break promises. And even after you call them they tell you lies upon lies upon lies. Shocking.

alekito wrote: »
    It seems that onlinedvdrentals will not honour any of the codes. I talked to Groupon about it and they can't get any answer from them. They refunded my money (even though onlinedvdrentals had redeemed the voucher). Don't think they will deal with them again. It seems that onlinedvdrentals simply used Groupon for free publicity and then dumped them. And dumped all the people who bought the voucher.

They is really bad behaviour from a company. Don't deal with onlinedvdrentals - they are terrible and impossible to get in touch with. Then the break promises. And even after you call them they tell you lies upon lies upon lies. Shocking.

Its not exactly great publicity. Whatever chance the company had, I think its drove itself into the grounds after treating so many people like it has. I asked earlier has anyone actually got a dvd, or know anyone who has. Not one person has said they have yet.

I would love to know what actually happened, and why it failed so badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dingwave

As I said in my earlier post, I have received 4 dvds in 10 weeks of which one was not even on my list. I think I have only got these after some serious email harassment (most of the emails I have sent have been ignored), but considering we watch the dvds straight away and post them back the next day, it's not great. Thankfully, Living Social refunded the deal and therefore it is all for free now but I would have rather spent some money with LoveFilm and actually had a proper service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭David Della Rocco

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Similar experience to everyone. Took a while to get activated, then received no DVDs for two weeks so I contacted them. Finally received one and presumed that the activation of my free 6 weeks started when they sent this. I posted it back expecting the next DVD. Received nothing, then a two weeks later I was charged €10.99 for the monthly rate as 6 weeks were up since I sent my first email but only 3 weeks since receiving a DVD. I emailed them to complain in November and cancel but received no reply. I emailed again today. The money doesn't bother me but it's the fact that people behind this are making money out of this scam.

I will contact Groupon and probably cancel my account. I think by spreading the word and making them suffer, it's the only way we might beat the system!

Down with that sort of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JohnnyOBrien

The guy running OnlineDVDRentals.ie was written about in the Independent back in 2004, where it appears under the Companys Act he was forbidden from becoming a company director for a period of 5 years. This was due to his admisson of reckless trading. He also has a very interesting history with Eircom. So if he set up this company in 2008 like he says...

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=54815786&locale=en_US&trk=tyah2

and as is evidenced by....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055333410

Then why did he do this before the 5 year period was up?

Well worth having a read of this before you have any dealings with this company.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/court-hears-doherty-chiefs-liable-for-22m-shortfall-146130.html

I'm sure this should be brought to the attention of the Director of Corporate Enforcement and the Gardai.

Sorry to hear some of you are not getting refunds. As mentioned in my earlier post here, I did get a full refund from Groupon.

My hubby works for MasterCard. If you have paid by MC or visa credit card ( not debit) you can contact your bank and explain the service you paid for was not delivered. They will then take it up on your behalf with the provider.

You can do this up to 90 days after it appears on your statement.

This applies to ANY purchase on your credit card.

Good luck.

I am losing track of how many calls and emails I have sent to Groupon and the long waiting times for them to answer a call. I paid via Paypal so I have escalated that with them. It has been going on for weeks now and still no sign of my money.

The guy running OnlineDVDRentals.ie was written about in the Independent back in 2004, where it appears under the Companys Act he was forbidden from becoming a company director for a period of 5 years. This was due to his admisson of reckless trading. He also has a very interesting history with Eircom. So if he set up this company in 2008 like he says...

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=54815786&locale=en_US&trk=tyah2

and as is evidenced by....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055333410

Then why did he do this before the 5 year period was up?

Well worth having a read of this before you have any dealings with this company.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/court-hears-doherty-chiefs-liable-for-22m-shortfall-146130.html

I'm sure this should be brought to the attention of the Director of Corporate Enforcement and the Gardai.

More than likely if he set up the company someone else signed as a director and he is only the manager. I think there are two people managing the company, the other one is going to be the one that appears in the Companies Register as Director of the company.

Unfortunately I'm in the same situation as irlgirl, I paid using PayPal and as secure as PayPal is for managing money payments online, they have a horrible, horrible customer service. But I'm going to do the same as her escalate the whole thing via PayPal.

My original idea was making a Small Claims Court complain against GroupOn, but I've had access to the kind of contracts GroupOn signs for these kinds of deals and their final take from these kind of deals is over 60% but they force the business to take all responsibility for anything going wrong with the deal, so it might be impossible for the Small Claims Court to do anything against them and making a complain against OnlineDvdRentals might go the same way as any other attempts of getting my money back.

I am very interested in the PayPal complain by irlgirl. I will check how that goes and see if I can get anything back that way.

I wonder if anyone has any idea of why GroupOn taking more than 60% of that kind of promotion might not be responsible for anything going wrong with the deal. Is that legal in Ireland?

Since I escalated my dispute Groupon never responded so Paypal have found in my favor. I think I should have just gone through Paypal to begin with because Groupon will just fob you off

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Glad I found this thread.

I complained ot onlinedvdrentals and spoke to Chris,he said he would send me dvds over a week ago and still nothing.
    I am signed up over 2 months.

well im sorry to say you will be waiting for ur dvds :(

Ok, I can tell you what will happen - nothing. Chris will keep blabhing on about some problem they are having with Groupon. But they have no intention of sending you the code - ever. They redeemed my coupon and the took the money. I got it back from Groupon who were very good. But onlinedvdrentals are a sham. They used groupon for publicity. Chris was telling everyone that and did nothing. And he knows he will never send on the codes. Endless broken promises. If any company deserves to be destroyed by Netflix, Hulu etc - or any other streaming service - it's onlinedvdrentals.

They are a bunch of scammers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

OK

Don't believe a word they say. Mark Beggs has a bad reputation in business.

Chris Stewart, google his name with onlinedvdrentals and you will find mobile numbers, keep calling them. Took me ages to get anything off them. If your using the secretaries forget it, they're the ultimate gatekeepers lol.

Do yourself a favour and keep away from them if your considering using them in any way.

Screenclick piddle all over them anyway. Good luck. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement