Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website review - www.nojunkmail.info

Options
  • 30-07-2009 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Im new to this web dev stuff and have put up my first site that has a tiny bit of coding in the back ground as opposed to just editing html..

Im no designer so Ive used a free template so I cant take credit for the design part but would appreciate any comments you have..

http://www.nojunkmail.info

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Site seems functional, but before I'd buy from it I'd want to see tangible contact details

Is the concept just to show people you dislike junk mail ?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Is the concept just to show people you dislike junk mail ?

The idea is to put the sticker on your front door to stop people putting junk in your letter box..

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm not sure how this is much of an improvement on me typing "no junk mail" into word, printing it out on my home or office printer and using sellotape to stick it to the door, to be honest!

Although, if I had no porch a sticker probably would be handier. Three euro handier? Not sure. Decent price for a big custom vinyl sticker (delivered) though I guess.

I'd also point out that your design almost hides the "no" part in a flurry of colour, the only clear text block being "junk mail please", which could be considered somewhat counter-productive... :)

CuLT wrote: »
    I'm not sure how this is much of an improvement on me typing "no junk mail" into word, printing it out on my home or office printer and using sellotape to stick it to the door, to be honest!

You do have a point but these stickers are vinyl so are a lot more hard wearing than simply sticking paper to your window.

They are designed for outdoor use so hold up very well against the elements which is important with our climate.

The site is really just an online presence to compliment the offline sales.

The sticker has the website name on it so if some one was interested in getting their own sticker they might go onto the website.

Thanks for the design tip though regarding the "No" part.

I see what you mean alright. Might change the design in the next batch...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm not wild about the banner tbh, looks very bland, and I'm not loving the colour scheme.

Other than that, looks okay to me! Could I ask you where do you get the stickers printed, or do you do them yourself? PM me if you like

Dave! wrote: »
    I'm not wild about the banner tbh, looks very bland, and I'm not loving the colour scheme.

Your banner looks pretty much exactly the same. :)

blacknight wrote: »
    Site seems functional, but before I'd buy from it I'd want to see tangible contact details

Ive added more contact details. This never really occured to me as I know im trustworthy but obviously other people dont :D thanks for that.
    Your banner looks pretty much exactly the same. :)
    :P

I think he was referring to the green banner on the site..

Yes I was talking about this one

main_img.jpg

I presume it came as part of the theme/template

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Does it matter what the site looks like when all it is is a rip off to charge €3.75 for a siticker saying "No Junk Mail"? What's the point of the site?

• Advertisement

Does it matter what the site looks like when all it is is a rip off to charge €3.75 for a siticker saying "No Junk Mail"? What's the point of the site?

It is €3 a sticker. The rest is to cover the price of the stamp and envelope.

It is also €7 for 3 stickers which you failed to mention.

You will find if you did any research that vinyl stickers are quiet expensive to print.

I didnt ask you to buy a sticker so if you dont have anything relevant to say regarding the technical details of the website I suggest you dont bother posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Hi bigbadcon, one or two small comments:
    1. I'd remove the white space on both sides of the banner, between the banner and the grey background.
    2. The XHTML and CSS don't validate.
    3. I think the heading "Sick of Junk Mail? Together we can beat it." isn't as strong as it can be. Unfortunately I can't think of anything better at the moment.
    4. Maybe consider a custom banner image, instead of the green image with white text over it. i.e. make an image with the text part of that image, instead of a green background with text over it. If you make it one image you can add some effects to the text, which I think will improve the banner a lot.

These are just some suggestion, off the top of my head. Feel free to ignore if appropriate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

on the environmental issues page
    Above facts referenced from Wikipedia..

Looks bad, at least follow the reference links on wikipedia and get the stats from the real sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

i like the website design and over all, its really great!

at first, i thought it was to stop email junk mail (might need fixing there), but now since i read through this thread, it makes sense what it is.

where did you download the template, and what software did you use.

Thanks Tim M-U.

I got the template here.

The site has small bits of .net code to send emails mostly but besides that theres wasnt much coding.

The hard part for me is editing/learning the css.

Enjoying the learning curve though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

i havent used notepad for making websites because the ftp programmes are a bit dodgy..

congrats on the website and not much wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm not hot on the design of the stickers to be honest, it looks a bit thrown together, I wouldn't want that on my front door. I'm also not sure that a sticker like that would actually stop people from putting crap through my door.

I think you should put some pictures up showing actual doors with the stickers on them.

Gordon wrote: »
    I'm not hot on the design of the stickers to be honest, it looks a bit thrown together, I wouldn't want that on my front door. I'm also not sure that a sticker like that would actually stop people from putting crap through my door.

I think you should put some pictures up showing actual doors with the stickers on them.

Hi Gordon,

Thats fair enough that you dont like the design.

Im not a designer but if you compare it to the other stickers that are out there it does look a lot better.
    The stickers do make a big difference to the amount of junk mail you get in the door..

Yeah planning on putting up a couple of pics of stickers on doors soon enough.

Thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 StuartC

I think the design is fine for the content involved.. it could be better of course. You seem to have some SEO in place aswell.

Hope it works out for you.

Stuart

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Hi Gordon,

Thats fair enough that you dont like the design.
    Sorry if I sounded nasty, it was the image getting in the way of things really that made it look cluttered. I was thinking of something clearer like this:

17820851.jpg

Although without the images is a bit more striking, yet bumpersticky (and Scandinavian).

28208001.jpg

• Advertisement

Right ive made some changes to the site based on your comments..

1. I have changed the width of the page so there is now no space between the logo and the edge.
    2. I have removed the references from wikipedia thing and that put in the correct references.
    3. I have put in proper contact details.
    4. I have added a picture of a sticker on a letter box using a javascript image rollover.
    5. I have checked the validation of the html and css and its fine on every page except for the contact us page where the html is failing due to a problem with a <br> tag. I cant make head nor tail or this error so if some one could help me out that would be great.

Things I havent done yet as I dont have the time at the moment (or possibly the skills) :confused:

1. Changed the banner to a custom one.
    2. Changed the sticker design.

Any further comments on the current site would be appreciated..

what is the error with the <br> tag?

This is it

thanks

oh you don't have a closing tag for <br> like that i think
    you just use <br /> in place of the opening tag.

Ah I see what the problem is now..

My html is valid in visual studio and there are no sign of the extra <br> anywhere.

It looks like this is an issue with the html that reCapthcha generates.

There doesnt seem to be a fix for it yet.

thanks inallinanyways

This morning there was a number of emails sent from my site from the "Tell a friend" option regarding different swine flu pills etc.

I have a recapthca option on the contact us form to stop this from happening.

Im wondering what someone would gain from this as..

All the email would say is "Your friend swine flu tablets thought you might be interested in this site. And then has a link to my site.

It would not feature their own website name anywhere.

Im assuming this is an automated program thats running somewhere..

Is there any other ways of stopping this besides putting another recapthca control? (which I dont really want to do)

Im assuming this is quite common.has anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Do you really need that "Tell A Friend" option?

I wouldn't be too impressed receiving any sort of mail from a site condemning junk mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

For FREE, you can get stickers for your postbox saying 'No unsolicited leaflets or canvassers please' by sending off a nice letter to Global Windows complaining about their leaflet spam. The nice MD there will send one back to you.

AFAIK the OP is more interested in criticism of the design, etc., rather than the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Meh, I know. The site wasn't working for me at the time.

Get a logo for the top left corner

Make fonts bigger and a darker grey for readability.

Add padding between the Tell a Friend input boxes.

Add some styling for the Send and Clear buttons.

Add Privacy Policy info and maybe terms and conditions and disclaimer.

Add order and delivery info.

You should have VAT and company reg numbers somewhere (strictly speaking).

You could dump the validation links - only us developers care about that stuff.

Add links for the environmental info sources.

Have a go at changing some of your tables to divs and using labels for the text before the input boxes.

Advertisement