Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending the Shuttle programme.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'll be having a go at this over xmas too.:)

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html

As we head into an uncertain 2010 for NASA,what was their top achievement in 2009? Vote here:http://www.nasa.gov/news/09_YIR_poll.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Competition for the mission patch for the final shuttle mission.

Link!

500x_sscp37-lg_01.jpg

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The shuttle was a solution to a problem that didn't really exist. it was made too big so it could take the military loads (Hubble is a spy satellite pointing the wrong way) , but the military used their own launchers instead. Otherwise it just did what dynasoar could, only twenty years later and way over budget.

The Russians still use what is essentially a modified 1950's ICBM to send people into space, because it works.

There is a saying in America 'if it works it's obsolete.'

I take it no one needs reminding just how few Saturn 5's (or Energia's ) would have been needed to build the ISS especially if they had gone for a wet lab configuration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

The shuttle was a solution to a problem that didn't really exist. it was made too big so it could take the military loads (Hubble is a spy satellite pointing the wrong way) , but the military used their own launchers instead. Otherwise it just did what dynasoar could, only twenty years later and way over budget.

The Russians still use what is essentially a modified 1950's ICBM to send people into space, because it works.

There is a saying in America 'if it works it's obsolete.'

I take it no one needs reminding just how few Saturn 5's (or Energia's ) would have been needed to build the ISS especially if they had gone for a wet lab configuration.

check out the one 'heavy'payload saturn IB did launch{Skylab}and what an inappropiate vechicle it was for heavy lifting.

check out the command module which was the only part that returned from the Apollo/Saturn V combination.

Saturn V was a magnificent launch vehicle built for a specific purpose,it could no more have built the ISS than a Chinese lantern.

There were very few military Shuttle launch's{3 at most i think,but i will let You research that:D}
    There was quite an outcry about NASA being used by the military,one interesting fact is that only one Shuttle landed at a base other than KSC or Edwards,that was a military mission.

The Soviets built but never flew their own Space Shuttle into Space,it was a copy of the American one,based on espionage passed to them.They also built a hugh launch vehicle meant for moon orbit and beyond but it exploded killing many way beyond the 'safety' area.

If Hubble is a spy telescope it must be spying on Amobea's{who knows may'be some of them are Taliben?}

Soyuz has proven itself to be far more than a glorified ICBM!
    as a matter of fact looks like the USA may need it badly!:pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement