Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending the Shuttle programme.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Looks like Charles Bolden(NASA Administrator) is meeting Obama In the White House today,it'll be interesting to see if he gives any clues as to where the Obama administration is heading with the Human Spaceflight programme.

http://www.floridatoday.com/content/blogs/space/2009/12/obama-to-meet-nasa-chief-in-oval-office.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

lord lucan wrote: »
    Looks like Charles Bolden(NASA Administrator) is meeting Obama In the White House today,it'll be interesting to see if he gives any clues as to where the Obama administration is heading with the Human Spaceflight programme.

http://www.floridatoday.com/content/blogs/space/2009/12/obama-to-meet-nasa-chief-in-oval-office.shtml

Last i read in the press was Barack was to decide in Feb.
    He showed in deciding VERY slowly about an increase in troop numbers to Afghanistan that he is a meticulous thinker.The joint chiefs and Obamas appointed top General in the Country were Screaming at him for months!

I see Bolden has two hours with him,hopefully he can impress on the Prez the urgency of it all.even another three months of uncertainty will do NASA irreaprable harm.He must decide NOW!
    from other threads we know the many time constraints NASA face before they lose all their talent and all those jobs(Three years to build a ET from scratch:eek:)and no way at the moment to extend the ISS beyond 2015.
    NASA,s saving grace might be that Obama more than anything does not want MORE job losses,well here's hoping.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi raised questions Wednesday about boosting NASA funding, in competition with other budget priorities, and pursuing a Mars trip.

She said ..
    “I, myself, if you are asking me personally, I have not been a big fan of manned expeditions to outer space, in terms of safety and cost,” Pelosi told reporters a roundtable on legislative accomplishments this year. “But people could make the case; technology is always changing.”

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20091216/NEWS02/312160002/1006/news01/House+speaker+questions+more+NASA+funding++Mars+trip

I hope Charles Bolden got some good news !!!

Stargate wrote: »
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi raised questions Wednesday about boosting NASA funding, in competition with other budget priorities, and pursuing a Mars trip.

She said ..
    “I, myself, if you are asking me personally, I have not been a big fan of manned expeditions to outer space, in terms of safety and cost,” Pelosi told reporters a roundtable on legislative accomplishments this year. “But people could make the case; technology is always changing.”

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20091216/NEWS02/312160002/1006/news01/House+speaker+questions+more+NASA+funding++Mars+trip

I hope Charles Bolden got some good news !!!

Jeez thanks a bunch Stargate,I used to think highly of her!:(

• Advertisement

ynotdu wrote: »

What i take from that is lets wait till Jan/Feb :( Lets hope Endeavour has a good launch and theres no setbacks , be very very bad timing if there was !!

What i take from that is lets wait till Jan/Feb :( Lets hope Endeavour has a good launch and theres no setbacks , be very very bad timing if there was !!

Tbh at this stage an extension is unlikely beyond using up the remaining hardware. A decision needed to be made months ago,the lead time needed to order and manafacture new External tanks is nearly 3 years iirc.

At this stage i think NASA will be just looking at the funding for the constellation programme.

Tbh at this stage an extension is unlikely beyond using up the remaining hardware. A decision needed to be made months ago,the lead time needed to order and manafacture new External tanks is nearly 3 years iirc.

At this stage i think NASA will be just looking at the funding for the constellation programme.

Yes Agreed LL , i know that , was just saying that any NEGATIVE publicity wouldnt be a good thing right now , with funding at the forefront .
    Congress want jobs from the taxpayers dollars and some do not see Nasa and its work as a priority.

Yes Agreed LL , i know that , was just saying that any NEGATIVE publicity wouldnt be a good thing right now , with funding at the forefront .
    Congress want jobs from the taxpayers dollars and some do not see Nasa and its work as a priority.

It's politics at its best. Anywhere else and they'd probably tell NASA to take a hit in funding and grin and bear it. But,a huge amount of jobs are going to go when the shuttle programme ends and a huge amount of them are in florida,a key state in presidential elections. I think they'll fund the development of Ares,Obama doesn't have to worry about it as he'll probably be finished 2 terms by the time it comes to fruition.

It's politics at its best. Anywhere else and they'd probably tell NASA to take a hit in funding and grin and bear it. But,a huge amount of jobs are going to go when the shuttle programme ends and a huge amount of them are in florida,a key state in presidential elections. I think they'll fund the development of Ares,Obama doesn't have to worry about it as he'll probably be finished 2 terms by the time it comes to fruition.

I find it strange nothing has been said about the meeting with Charles Bolden ,, either by Nasa or Obamas team !! That could be good or bad news .

• Advertisement

I find it strange nothing has been said about the meeting with Charles Bolden ,, either by Nasa or Obamas team !! That could be good or bad news .

They've probably been given an idea of the direction that the administration wants to go but been told to say nothing until Obama either brings it up in his State of the Union address or in the february budget.

They've probably been given an idea of the direction that the administration wants to go but been told to say nothing until Obama either brings it up in his State of the Union address or in the february budget.

Be very interested to hear what he has to say re Nasa . When the shuttle goes there will be massive layoffs !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Be very interested to hear what he has to say re Nasa . When the shuttle goes there will be massive layoffs !
    Thats the key in all this JOBS! The biggest fear is moral amoung the existing teams processing the Shuttles. Lets hope safety is not compromised in all this.:(
    Can't see much of an extension if any. STS-35 looks good but beyond that its not looking too good as LL said the hardware is just not available.:(

From that link .......

" A report by the online edition of Science magazine late Thursday said Obama plans to request a $1 billion increase in the NASA budget for 2011. The money would fund a new heavy-lift launch vehicle, and the agency's current Ares 1 rocket design would be scrapped in favor of commercial crew transportation services to Earth orbit, according to the Science report. "

Tnx LL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hey guys, i've been away from all of this 'space' talk for some time but am beginning to read more now. The last I heard, the prospects for space research in general was poor (viz NASA). So, this is actually good news to me reading the last few posts. I don't quite understand how a government with a debt of >$1,000,000,000,000 can afford to increase NASA's budget though. It makes little sense.

Kevster wrote: »
    Hey guys, i've been away from all of this 'space' talk for some time but am beginning to read more now. The last I heard, the prospects for space research in general was poor (viz NASA). So, this is actually good news to me reading the last few posts. I don't quite understand how a government with a debt of >$1,000,000,000,000 can afford to increase NASA's budget though. It makes little sense.

Hi Kev , how are things ? Hope your not too homesick over there ;)

In the big picture NASA's budget is relatively small,especially when compared with their defence budget and the forthcoming health care reform. If the Obama administration increase the NASA budget it'll be more to do with fire-fighting the political storm that massive job losses at KSC that'll result from the end of the Shuttle programme. Space exploration is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy down the list of priorities right now.

Good point 'Lucan... ...the amount of job-cuts from an underfunded NASA could be significant. Just think how much money is wasted on defence around the world, when issues that military are supposed to solve could be solved instead by dialogue (which is FREE) :(

Things are fine over here Stargate. im still in York right now, but moving to Leicester in the new year to start a PhD at the Royal Infirmary. Im coming back to Eire next Tuesday though!

• Advertisement

Good point 'Lucan... ...the amount of job-cuts from an underfunded NASA could be significant. Just think how much money is wasted on defence around the world, when issues that military are supposed to solve could be solved instead by dialogue (which is FREE) :(

Things are fine over here Stargate. im still in York right now, but moving to Leicester in the new year to start a PhD at the Royal Infirmary. Im coming back to Eire next Tuesday though!

Well glad to hear Kev you will be home for the xmas , and that you are back on the forum again , ( not like you went missing , more like we missed you lol ) :D

yes NASA,s budget is less than 1% of total spending and of course some of it gets clawed back in tax.

The one billion is better than nothing but Augustine suggested $3 billion just for NASA to stand still.IMO it is incredibly short-sighted of the US not to stay ahead of the possee.way too much at stake.

The US may have its faults but who could be trusted more to be the 'masters' of space amongst the other potentiol ones?

What other Country would have left a plaqe stating that we came in peace for ALL Mankind as Apollo 11 did?

yes NASA,s budget is less than 1% of total spending and of course some of it gets clawed back in tax.

The one billion is better than nothing but Augustine suggested $3 billion just for NASA to stand still.IMO it is incredibly short-sighted of the US not to stay ahead of the possee.way too much at stake.

The US may have its faults but who could be trusted more to be the 'masters' of space amongst the other potentiol ones?

What other County would have left a plaqe plaque stating that we came in peace for ALL Mankind as Apollo 11 did?

FYP again lol

The Rep Of Cork :D:D:D:D

FYP

The Rep Of Cork :D:D:D:D

STARGATES name has now been changed to spellchecker!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

STARGATES name has now been changed to spellchecker!:(

He missed "plaqe":p

Malty_T wrote: »

Tnx Malty hahahaha

I sorted it ;)

Malty_T wrote: »

True his dental hygiene leaves a lot to be desired!:p

Thought you were going to bed an hour ago ynotdu :eek:

Catch ya later :P

Im off to the land of nod ha

Thought you were going to bed an hour ago ynotdu :eek:

Catch ya later :P

Im off to the land of nod ha

i cant go until some poor other fool takes my place:(

and it was You who was going to bed but may'be you are working on C*** time?

C,ya Noddy!:)

• Advertisement

What the frig were you guys doing up until 6:40AM?

Advertisement