Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the Ray D'Arcy show gone too far? Erotica on at 10.30am

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

eddieham wrote: »
    Before this email was read a warning was given that it may not be suitable for children and this was repeated before the email was read.
    All week the show has promoted/encouraged individuals as part of a couple, to "initiate" or say "yes" when they would normally say "NO"
    This is based on a book which the show recently reviewed, written by a female author, in which people are encouraged to say yes rather than no for the good of the relationship.
    I heard the piece while I was sitting in the car with our 3 kids; 11,7,4 and it certainly didnt shock me and I would consider myself conservative when I have the kids in earshot.
    This was/is about encouraging couples to engage with each other and we certainly enjoyed it and think its a good idea, but we have a healthy and good relationship before this anyway.
    IMHO has the show gone to far?; not at all
    taken in the context that it was meant we think it was an excellent piece

Well I am one of those people that switched on the radio just after the warning had been read out... I think that its broadcasting standards at its lowest. I think that the piece was of very poor taste for that time in the morning, erotic literature is ok, but not at 10.30 am on the national airwaves... and I dont buy the whole thing of 'this is to help couples' blah blah.
    On the whole, D'Arcy is impertinent, and generally is a very poor interviewer. Standards have dropped since I have returned to the country, ...noticeably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

maninasia wrote: »
    When I last lived in Ireland Ray Darcy was on Network 2 with kids TV shows. Now he's a foul mouthed radio jock..when I come back and hear him constantly swearing on radio I just feel that's not witty or trendy...just low class. Then I noticed they're (on the meeja) all at it these days, fcuk this and sh%^e that. And I'm not really that old either and swear a fair bit myself...but not in front of kids or on the national airwaves!
    It seems it's not so noticeable to people who stayed in Ireland but to me it was a really big change. But sure we always copied what happened in the UK..all getting their cue from the Jonathan Ross show (there is another guy who used to be funny but finds it neccessary to utter crudities for a cheap laugh now).

spot on! Cursing when there is nothing witty to say. Smut when cursing doesnt work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

AnonoBoy wrote: »

[Generic Snyper Gag Goes Here]

I always thought it went into your mouth. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

eddieham wrote: »
    Before this email was read a warning was given that it may not be suitable for children and this was repeated before the email was read.
    All week the show has promoted/encouraged individuals as part of a couple, to "initiate" or say "yes" when they would normally say "NO"
    This is based on a book which the show recently reviewed, written by a female author, in which people are encouraged to say yes rather than no for the good of the relationship.
    I heard the piece while I was sitting in the car with our 3 kids; 11,7,4 and it certainly didnt shock me and I would consider myself conservative when I have the kids in earshot.
    This was/is about encouraging couples to engage with each other and we certainly enjoyed it and think its a good idea, but we have a healthy and good relationship before this anyway.
    IMHO has the show gone to far?; not at all
    taken in the context that it was meant we think it was an excellent piece

I just noticed this ( it was pointed out by another boards member)... This post is the ONLY post that eddieham has made since registering with Boards, 5 years ago!
    Why did it take a topic like Ray D'Arcy for you to come out of your shell eddiesham? Have you never felt the need to comment on any other topic/thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Red Alert wrote: »
    Last time I checked I thought the radio was primarily for local people - I sure as hell don't expect British Stations to cater to my sensibilities. OP you sound like one of the "PC gone mad" brigade.
    British radio is so horribly boring. It would be awful if Irish radio ended up like that. It's so safe and middle road it's impossible to listen to without driving your car into a tree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

ScumLord wrote: »
    it's impossible to listen to without driving your car into a tree.

do you listen when passing the auburn roundabout on the N3 then? That would explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Mammy, What's an orgasm?

I don't know, ask your father!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

Senna wrote: »
    Heard worse on ryan's show.

Yea, Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

dodgyme wrote: »
    do you listen when passing the auburn roundabout on the N3 then? That would explain it
    I'd only listen to it in the UK where I'd have no choice. For the most part I don't listen to radio it's all cds in my car. I switched on the radio briefly yesterday and adds where on all the channels one add came on saying "we play the best music" then played a clip from a 10 year old kylie and some stupid boyband so I just switched back to cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eddieham

I just noticed this ( it was pointed out by another boards member)... This post is the ONLY post that eddieham has made since registering with Boards, 5 years ago!
    Why did it take a topic like Ray D'Arcy for you to come out of your shell eddiesham? Have you never felt the need to comment on any other topic/thread?

Apologies, I thought this was about the Ray Darcy show and not how many posts one has made.
    If you would like to start a thread about my lack of posts I will think about answering all your queries, as I would'nt want to be accused, of going off topic in your thread especially as I'm a newbie when it comes to posts, as you so analytically noticed.
    All the same, many thanks as I now have two!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

eddieham, theres your 1st thanks!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

As the title suggests, I was listening to Today Fm this morning at around 10.30, and one of the girl co presenters of the Ray D'Arcy show was reading out some extract or other from either a listener's letter, or a 'guide to better sex' handbook... I can remember verbatum, but the jist of it was

'....all that we used was our tounges, and oraly pleasured each other, before we became one, and I had the best orgasm of my life, and went to sleep with a huge grin'.... etc etc etc.... (it went into a bit more detail than this btw)

Did anyone else hear this?? All I could think of was what if visitors to Ireland were listening to this in a rental car on the way up from Shannon airport, or what if there were a few kids in a doctor's waiting room along with their mum listening to this smut... does D'Arcy have no standards? I have heard him stoop very low a few times before, but this is uncharted territory... Im a pretty liberal guy, but seriously, is'nt there a time and place? It makes Ireland look trashy

Thats sick next you ll be telling me Irish people have had sex

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

tallus wrote: »
    Dude... one post in 5 years ? wtf??

For the record, I stopped listening D'Arcy ages ago as he's an opinionated little twat who ruined what used to be a light hearted show in the morning.

4 years. 2009-2005=4. I just checked on my calculator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

hick wrote: »
    stopped listening to him ages ago, moved over to Tom Dunne
    much more enjoyable

:eek:

id rather spend a weekend in guantanomo than listen to him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

fullstop wrote: »
    4 years. 2009-2005=4. I just checked on my calculator.

I don't know what I would have done without you ! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

hick wrote: »
    stopped listening to him ages ago, moved over to Tom Dunne
    much more enjoyable

yeah me too!! I used to love when Tom covered for Ray & was thrilled when he got his own morning show..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The whole country is in the toilet yet the most pressing concern for some is a bit of mild sex talk on a radio show.

Jesus fcuking wept.

God forbid a DJ should try and entertain instead of focusing on the sh1te side of life for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Tom Dunne is the most boring man on the planet..Fact

He's aural Valium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

oh no

:rolleyes:
    As the title suggests, I was listening to Today Fm this morning at around 10.30, and one of the girl co presenters of the Ray D'Arcy show was reading out some extract or other from either a listener's letter, or a 'guide to better sex' handbook... I can remember verbatum, but the jist of it was

'....all that we used was our tounges, and oraly pleasured each other, before we became one, and I had the best orgasm of my life, and went to sleep with a huge grin'.... etc etc etc.... (it went into a bit more detail than this btw)

Did anyone else hear this?? All I could think of was what if visitors to Ireland were listening to this in a rental car on the way up from Shannon airport, or what if there were a few kids in a doctor's waiting room along with their mum listening to this smut... does D'Arcy have no standards? I have heard him stoop very low a few times before, but this is uncharted territory... Im a pretty liberal guy, but seriously, is'nt there a time and place? It makes Ireland look trashy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

irish_bob wrote: »
    :eek:

id rather spend a weekend in guantanomo than listen to him

well it does have scorching hot weather and lovely scenery, so do you like tom dunne or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ole Gunnar

I agree with The Dark Side. D'Arcy is now far too big for his boots, when he first started the show was interesting and funny but he now feels he has a licence to talk about whoever/whatever he wants. He I very quick to knock others when in reality he should take a look at himself.

Advertisement