Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the Ray D'Arcy show gone too far? Erotica on at 10.30am

Options
  • 29-07-2009 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I was listening to Today Fm this morning at around 10.30, and one of the girl co presenters of the Ray D'Arcy show was reading out some extract or other from either a listener's letter, or a 'guide to better sex' handbook... I can remember verbatum, but the jist of it was

'....all that we used was our tounges, and oraly pleasured each other, before we became one, and I had the best orgasm of my life, and went to sleep with a huge grin'.... etc etc etc.... (it went into a bit more detail than this btw)

Did anyone else hear this?? All I could think of was what if visitors to Ireland were listening to this in a rental car on the way up from Shannon airport, or what if there were a few kids in a doctor's waiting room along with their mum listening to this smut... does D'Arcy have no standards? I have heard him stoop very low a few times before, but this is uncharted territory... Im a pretty liberal guy, but seriously, is'nt there a time and place? It makes Ireland look trashy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

As the title suggests, I was listening to Today Fm this morning at around 10.30, and one of the girl co presenters of the Ray D'Arcy show was reading out some extract or other from either a listener's letter, or a 'guide to better sex' handbook... I can remember verbatum, but the jist of it was

'....all that we used was our tounges, and oraly pleasured each other, before we became one, and I had the best orgasm of my life, and went to sleep with a huge grin'.... etc etc etc.... (it went into a bit more detail than this btw)

Did anyone else hear this?? All I could think of was what if visitors to Ireland were listening to this in a rental car on the way up from Shannon airport, or what if there were a few kids in a doctor's waiting room along with their mum listening to this smut... does D'Arcy have no standards? I have heard him stoop very low a few times before, but this is uncharted territory... Im a pretty liberal guy, but seriously, is'nt there a time and place? It makes Ireland look trashy

Makes a change from him talking about his fucking child anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wait till Joe Duffy hears of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Heard worse on ryan's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055091114

Some likeminded people in that megathread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ever heard of ratings??

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

stopped listening to him ages ago, moved over to Tom Dunne
    much more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Hey, simple solution: change the station if it bothers you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It makes Ireland look trashy

...because Ray D'Arcy = Ireland? How the heck does that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Sulmac wrote: »
    Hey, simple solution: change the station if it bothers you.

you seriously didnt think I sat there listening to the fooking thing after that, did you?? I switched over to BBC radio 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Down with this sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GarRo247

You may not have liked it but nobody was stopping you from listening to something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LOL - how does it make Ireland look trashy? It's a radio show aired in Ireland. Only an idiot tourist would let it tarnish their view of the entire country of Ireland.
    I imagine it would go over kids' heads. I'd be far more concerned about sexualised stuff that is actually marketed at kids - like Bratz. And women like The Pussycat Dolls, Britney Spears etc whom pre-teen girls love. I'd consider that to be the smut. Descriptions of a sexual encounter - I don't see what's smutty or trashy about these.

...because Ray D'Arcy = Ireland? How the heck does that work?

It works like this.... Today Fm, RTE1 and RTE 2... sometimes are the only stations you can pick up in the country depending on where you are along the west coast (bar the occassional regional station)... Today Fm has a very large Irish listenership, visitors would be under the impression that this would be a major channel

GarRo247 wrote: »
    You may not have liked it but nobody was stopping you from listening to something else

I switched it over as soon as I heard it

Dudess wrote: »
    LOL - how does it make Ireland look trashy? It's a radio show aired in Ireland. Only an idiot tourist would let it tarnish their view of the entire country of Ireland.
    I imagine it would go over kids' heads. I'd be far more concerned about sexualised stuff that is actually marketed at kids - like Bratz. And women like The Pussycat Dolls, Britney Spears etc whom pre-teen girls love. I'd consider that to be the smut. Descriptions of a sexual encounter - I don't see what's smutty or trashy about these.

I normally dont either... but at 10.30am?

It works like this.... Today Fm, RTE1 and RTE 2... sometimes are the only stations you can pick up in the country depending on where you are along the west coast (bar the occassional regional station)... Today Fm has a very large Irish listenership, visitors would be under the impression that this would be a major channel
    Then they would still be idiots for assuming this represents Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I don't give a (beep)
    Keep lookin' at my (beep)
    Coz it don't mean a thing if you're looking at my (beep)
    I'mma do my thing while your playing with your (beep)

:D

/pussycat dolls

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Heard it when out driving, only time I have ever listened to the radio, was funny enough to hear it.

I normally dont either... but at 10.30am?
    It's up to parents to monitor what their children listen to, but I really think it would go over their heads - other than that, I don't think it's particularly necessary, but I don't see anything wrong with it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

All I could think of was what if visitors to Ireland were listening to this in a rental car on the way up from Shannon airport,

Won't somebody think of the tourists! They'd probably turn their car around and flee the country immediately!!
    or what if there were a few kids in a doctor's waiting room along with their mum listening to this smut...

Won't somebody think of the children!!
    It makes Ireland look trashy

Won't somebody think of Irelands international reputation!

What if Obama was listening!!!

OP, you need to get on to Joe Duffy first thing tomorrow. His listeners will understand you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Last time I checked I thought the radio was primarily for local people - I sure as hell don't expect British Stations to cater to my sensibilities. OP you sound like one of the "PC gone mad" brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It is a major channel, in that it's broadcast all over the nation. Still though, how does he make Ireland look bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ruu wrote: »
    Down with this sort of thing!

Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What are these "tounges" of which you write, and is everybody supposed to have them?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

It is a major channel, in that it's broadcast all over the nation. Still though, how does he make Ireland look bad?

You may not know this, but 76% of tourists, before deciding whether to visit a foreign country, study the radio listening habits of the nation. Then they compile a list of topics discussed on morning talk shows. Using this list they decide which country they will visit.

Any talk of such horrendous, odious smut is frowned upon, and results in the country losing many many points.

It's common knowledge.

If some twat decided to judge Ireland because of a segment of a radio show, then they're not worth getting worried about anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

...and as he slowly entered the rear enterance, we both knew it was true love.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I would have died if i was in the car with mammy or granny listening to that:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Is there any sort of watershed when it comes to radio?

Advertisement