Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alt nights in Dublin? twee/shoegaze

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Would love to hear more of these nights! Heading to college in Dublin (TCD) so these'd be great for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Alan Noir

If you want to pitch-in in any way give me a shout. Nothing has been established other than we've enough interest to give this a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

What's the story with this?

How's about we have a get together brainstorm somewhere at the start of December? Anyone who is interested can contribute. PM me and we'll try get a dialogue going. Don't be shy.

Sounds good to me, will PM :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Well, I used to run a night back in the early 00's in Doyles that focused on shoegaze and early indie.. MBV, Rollerskate Skinny, Ride, Tangerine Dream and even stuff like Can, Neu, Pavement, Pulp etc.. it didn't work, cos nobody came, but those that did, loved it.. Maybe it was a promotion issue or whatever, but it's heartbreaking to play such a niche set to a Dublin audience.. However, PM if you want me to get involved. I'm launching another night soon in a major venue and it may be a good route into getting this type of music into the better venues.. I would love to play some Field Mice to people who get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

I'd be very much into this and would gladly help spread the word about any future nights. There's too much predictable indie in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

PM sent.

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Well, I used to run a night back in the early 00's in Doyles that focused on shoegaze and early indie.. MBV, Rollerskate Skinny, Ride, Tangerine Dream and even stuff like Can, Neu, Pavement, Pulp etc.. it didn't work, cos nobody came, but those that did, loved it..

I was one of them, Doyle's was brill in the early 00s!

Ok so, I'm away for about 2 weeks. there's at least 7 people interested in running this now so hopefully we can meet up in early december. In the meantime perhaps we can keep the thread going with ideas. I'm getting excited about this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Alan Noir wrote: »
    Ok so, I'm away for about 2 weeks. there's at least 7 people interested in running this now so hopefully we can meet up in early december. In the meantime perhaps we can keep the thread going with ideas. I'm getting excited about this :)

Please keep me posted, i would definitely help spread the word around and promote it, I've only discovered this scene in the past few months, fortunately for me, and i would be far to shy to get involved with you guys who are older and wiser than myself.

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Well, I used to run a night back in the early 00's in Doyles that focused on shoegaze and early indie.. MBV, Rollerskate Skinny, Ride, Tangerine Dream and even stuff like Can, Neu, Pavement, Pulp etc.. it didn't work, cos nobody came, but those that did, loved it.. Maybe it was a promotion issue or whatever, but it's heartbreaking to play such a niche set to a Dublin audience.. However, PM if you want me to get involved. I'm launching another night soon in a major venue and it may be a good route into getting this type of music into the better venues.. I would love to play some Field Mice to people who get it!

This sounds very exciting, roughly when would you be launching this night and where, or is it too early to ask? I agree, its really disheartening, the scene is so limited her when you compare it to London, which is a big step up i know - but for a capital city theres bound to be plenty of people interested in these genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

what does everybody think is the best night out in dublin at the moment? i enjoy ALT but there must be somewhere better.

Suggest meeting somewhere next week for a brainstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Muffin top

I would like to get involved. I think it's a great idea and at least worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Metropolis

Hi guys,

We're starting a new club night on Wed 27th January in Twisted Pepper called Metropolis.

It's not going to be tied down to any one genre, be that for better or worse, but we just want to try and break through with a really unique club that has an identity without a stigma.

It's essentially the Forbidden Planet business model. Gather the stuff that doesn't get played in other places because "it's not popular" or "it won't draw in the crowds" and play it for the people who will love it. The nerds :)

The boys at Bodytonic have brass ones and allowed us the go ahead to use Twisted Pepper to make something that we hope will be very special.

I don't know if it's to everyone's tastes here, but I can guarantee that most every act in fillefatale's post will get a spin. Well, everyone except MGMT :D And no goddamn Kings Of Leon either.

If it's a success, we want to make it a regular thing. And if you're interested, our contact details are all below. I'm sure there will be a few places on the guestlist for boards.ie heads too if anyone's interested.

Thank you!

themetropolisclub@gmail.com

Facebook

Twitter

Myspace

Main Thread

4246627123_e68acb6160_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

looks cool...will definitely buzz in....i just have to check myself out of the mental ward after being aurely molested by MGMT for the last year first :D......great poster by the way...very funny....

Think I was in here some wednesday evening actually, quite drunk though so I don't remember much. The music was alright. But I will return!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Metropolis wrote: »
    For Rohan
    Hahahaha.

Advertisement