Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alt nights in Dublin? twee/shoegaze

Options
  • 29-07-2009 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

I'm not entirely sure if this fits here - but i'll give it a go, but I'm looking for twee/shoegaze music nights in Ireland. Dublin preferably. I'm talking along the lines of My Bloody Valentine, Belle & Sebastian, Ride, Pale Saints, Lush, Cocteau Twins, The Jesus & Mary Chain, et al

The list may seem a bit specific, I'm open minded really, just really want an alternative night that doesn't repeat MGMT, etc all night. Something more relaxed.

I hope someone knows what I'm talking about!

This link should help convey what I mean, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd love such a night myself. Hmmm.... *plots*

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Speaking of shoegaze, can't wait for Amusement Parks on Fire to release their new album & come back here. They were fantastic in Feb, so was their support band but I can't remember their name for the life of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Do they have those anywhere in the world?Never heard of such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Don't quote me on this but isn't there some manner of a shoegaze night every so often in The Thomas House?

Could have sworn I'd seen a poster for it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

I've also heard pretty good things about The Thomas House, and if they did play the stuff you're looking for i'd say most people here would want to go:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

Yeah for Shoegaze this is your best bet:

2850_76138023662_695668662_1779511_2132493_n.jpg

It's run by the Skinny Wolves & Maximum Joy djs.

For twee, I don't know really, you may not have must luck there outside of your bedroom.

Most of the main indie clubs you'll find in Whelans, Doyles, ALT etc tend to play a lot of the same stuff, mix of classics and recent electro/indie. Grand fun stuff but never anything that interesting or suprising. While there's lots of other place that have some great DJ nights, you're unlikley to find much old shoegazey stuff there, though Road Records have started doing DJ slots in Hogans on Sunday nights; they'd be good to play a huge range of stuff I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That's the one flynnduism.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Do they have those anywhere in the world?Never heard of such a thing.

Yes, I attached a link. Particularly in the U.K. http://www.howdoesitfeel.co.uk/indieindex.html
    flynnduism wrote: »
    Yeah for Shoegaze this is your best bet:

It's run by the Skinny Wolves & Maximum Joy djs.

For twee, I don't know really, you may not have must luck there outside of your bedroom.

Most of the main indie clubs you'll find in Whelans, Doyles, ALT etc tend to play a lot of the same stuff, mix of classics and recent electro/indie. Grand fun stuff but never anything that interesting or suprising. While there's lots of other place that have some great DJ nights, you're unlikley to find much old shoegazey stuff there, though Road Records have started doing DJ slots in Hogans on Sunday nights; they'd be good to play a huge range of stuff I'd imagine.

Ah, I have been informed of Thomas House, I was just searching around in case there may be more. But I'm lucky to find one I suppose. And you've supplied a lovely poster and all. Thank you very much!

Grand fun stuff but never anything that interesting or suprising.
    I hear you there!

Thanks for the tip for Sunday nights as well, I have taken note!

Is that a sly dig against twee? :P I don't mind, Thomas House seems to tick more than one box anyway.

Cheers everyone for your suggestions, really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

Well as much as I really don't like twee, i don't think it works too well with a club athmosphere which is very dependant on the venue getting punters dancing and drinking to make money off them...

I don't know much about twee really other than finding it's overachingly sweet cutesyness make me want to vom :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 purplepassion

Yes, I attached a link. Particularly in the U.K. http://www.howdoesitfeel.co.uk/indieindex.html

I'm SO looking for a How Does it Feel style night in Dublin! Just back from the twee-est of twee weekends at the Indietracks festival and need some more!

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Any place with the mention of the words 'indie' or 'alternative' in dublin are full of pretentious, drainpipe clad gob****es anyways.....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Alan Noir

I'm SO looking for a How Does it Feel style night in Dublin! Just back from the twee-est of twee weekends at the Indietracks festival and need some more!

Any ideas?

Would love one. HDIF is excellent!

Pity that alternative in Dublin means 'this charming man', 'love will tear us apart' etc. (much as I love them, they are still relatively safe.) The lady Dj downstairs in Thomas Reads is usually a bit more ambitious, the only night i've ever heard play Camera Obscura for example. Another DJ there played "anxious" by the housemartins, that was a delightful surprise!

I just dont think Dublin is big enough to get such a refined clubnight unfortunately. You have to play the standard indie classics/electro mush.

Actually **** it, does anyone want to set one up? A proper nerd job like HDIF!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mcdonut

If you build it they will come.I'd go anyway.

Awh, here have a cupcake!

Where to start is the problem.

If anyone is genuinely interested maybe a few of us could talk about setting one up.

I don't really want to be involved. But you could look at Shebeen Chic downstairs? It's on georges st, D2

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

AC30 put on shoegaze gigs around Dublin. They used to do DJ nights too, in Thomas House and The Oak.. not soo sure anymore though.

Alan Noir wrote: »

Pity that alternative in Dublin means 'this charming man', 'love will tear us apart' etc. (much as I love them, they are still relatively safe.) The lady Dj downstairs in Thomas Reads is usually a bit more ambitious, the only night i've ever heard play Camera Obscura for example. Another DJ there played "anxious" by the housemartins, that was a delightful surprise!

I just dont think Dublin is big enough to get such a refined clubnight unfortunately. You have to play the standard indie classics/electro mush.

Oi! Less of the nerd bit!
    Would defo consider being involved - although would be scared it could never come close to HDIF.....

Oi! Less of the nerd bit!
    Would defo consider being involved - although would be scared it could never come close to HDIF.....

Nerd as in very well up on what they do. ;)

Would probably never come close but what's the harm? I think Dublins "indie scene" needs at least one club that attempts to be a bit more refined.

flynnduism wrote: »
    Well as much as I really don't like twee, i don't think it works too well with a club athmosphere which is very dependant on the venue getting punters dancing and drinking to make money off them...

I don't know much about twee really other than finding it's overachingly sweet cutesyness make me want to vom :pac:

Oh yes I agree, I was thinking of more a pub scene.

Well, thats rather generalizing it, I like the more britpop/twee combinations, no cutesy stuff for me.
    Any place with the mention of the words 'indie' or 'alternative' in dublin are full of pretentious, drainpipe clad gob****es anyways.....

Sigh. Yes. A lot of people in tight clothing, lumberjack shirts and messy hair rather in love with themselves. I'd prefer an 'alternative' to that.

Exactly, I'm don't really possess a vast music knowledge to justify my getting involved unfortunately, but i would most definitely encourage people to go to such a night if you were to start one and would poster around UCD campus certainly.

Nerd as in very well up on what they do. ;)

Would probably never come close but what's the harm? I think Dublins "indie scene" needs at least one club that attempts to be a bit more refined.

Re nerds - good point well made!

I don't really know anything about the Dublin "indie scene" but I do know that I'd like a HDIF style club to go to!

So now what?

• Advertisement

Twee = c86 = D.I.Y. eh?

The whole thing got started in the first place because people gave it a shot. There's no way I could hold this on my own, or even steer it. If we got 3 people at least who are willing to give it a go and have as little experience as I do, I'd be on board.

Any takers? Dont be shy, save it for the poster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Yep, I'm definitely interested. I've a big shoegaze record collection and know a good few people into it...I'll help out in any way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

I'd love to help out too, I have a decent collection. But I wouldn't be available til mid October or so.

Count me in too! Not sure whether my record collection is up to scratch or not, but I do have the How Does It Feel compilation CD and the original C86 cassette!!!

So about 5-6 people in on it potentially. I'm sure we can come to some agreement.

I'm a tiny bit busy for the next few weeks with my own band but i'll get in touch with everyone, and anyone else yet to express interest soon.

I'm off to glasgow this weekend to see lloyd cole & camera obscura double header, i'll try get some research done too!

This could be great...

My record collection is by no means up to scratch but I'm a novice eager to see more. Please keep me updated on how this progresses, I'm very interested!!

I'll get in touch with everyone interested over the next couple of weeks, anyone else feel like getting involved just post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I would totes love to be involved. I'm sick of the repetitive muzak pumped out in clubs in Dublin. There's hardly anywhere that plays anything other than Kings of Effin Leon, MGMT...grrargh.

I'll get in touch with everyone interested over the next couple of weeks, anyone else feel like getting involved just post here.

Any progress on this?

• Advertisement

I've a hectic week or two ahead. I'll try get a message round to people soon to discuss how to get things rolling.

Advertisement